Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Justin Timberlake blasted for ignorance

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Stop teaching our children about the past? What the fuck kind of shit is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    "Those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it." ~Edmund Burke
    Yeah, stupid thing to say. We need to know our past, good and bad. That's the only way we can make changes.

fgg

Shonda Rhimes Shoots Down Petition for Jesse Williams' Firing over Allegedly 'Racist' BET Awards Speech

Dr. Jackson Avery isn't going anywhere!

A Change.com petition calling for Jesse Williams to be fired from Grey's Anatomy for his speech at the BET Awards has garnered nearly 5,000 signatures.

According to the petition, "Jesse Williams spewed a racist, hate speech against law enforcement and white people at the BET awards. If this was a white person making the same speech about an African American, they would have been fired and globally chastised, as they should be, but there has been no consequences to Williams' actions. There's been no companies making a stand against his racist remarks and no swift action condemning his negative attitude."

"Why was Burke's character fired from Grey's Anatomy after his inappropriate homophobic slur, but nothing for Jesse Williams?" it continued.

However, show creator Shonda Rhimes is not listening to the drama.

"Um, people? Boo don't need a petition," Rhimes, 46, tweeted to her 1.25 million followers with the hashtag "#shondalandrules."

Williams, 34, also took to Twitter to respond to the controversy.

"Do not promote empty people & their tantrums," he wrote. "Pure clickbait to gain followers, attention & money, for themselves, not you. Never you."

After receiving the Humanitarian Award for his efforts to raise awareness of the Black Lives Matter movement, Williams told PEOPLE that his speech was about letting people know they aren't alone.

"Words are only as good as the response to those words," he said. "But I'd like to think that I give people a sense that they are not alone."

"If we keep poisoning our children to believe that we are nothing and that white people are everything, that's when it finds itself reflected in the way we treat each other," continues Williams. "It's not that complicated. The truth we are teaching is that every contribution in the history of the planet came from blonde people. It's not true and it's destructive, and people are getting killed long term as a result. People don't believe that we deserve it."

Jesse Williams Petition to be Fired from Grey's Anatomy: Shonda Rhimes Response : People.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hit By Ban Bus!

people are idiots

Ok Who's the immature one who put the tag down there? lol
    sputnik likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

They've stepped up the campaign because Jesse is supposedly the reason that the cops were shot in Dallas. Notice they had nothing to say about the shootings that brought about the protest.

Really? Jesse caused the shootings? i'd look to those running for President before i'd look to a good looking black boy featured in a long-running drama series based on the dramatics of an emergency room.
    lulu09 and BelledeJour like this.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Stop teaching our children about the past? What the fuck kind of shit is that?
    No idea. I thought it was pretty odd myself but if memory serves, Morgan Freeman has taken some strange positions before.

That said, and this is just speculation, maybe he was suggesting that since racism is a learned behavior (backed up by research), if we stop giving black children reason to buy into their parents' views and stop giving white children reason to buy into their parents' views and instead, teach them simply to see and hear each other as equals, which is their natural tendency, positive change might come.

I believe that history is important and am not suggesting his theory is a good one, but it's definitely one I hadn't considered before and find interesting.

Maybe some parts of history are best left to the past. Maybe younger generations are poisoned, not educated, by the lessons we teach them on race.

I don't know and don't pretend to know. I just hate the current state of affairs. What I do know is this: my white kids (17-23yo) and their black cousins (6-24yo) , along with their peers, care about aspects of a person's character. They don't give a rat's ass about the color of a person's skin. I showed Timberlake's tweet to my black nieces and nephews and the thing they found disturbing was the fact that I was paying attention to JT.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    Yeah, stupid thing to say. We need to know our past, good and bad. That's the only way we can make changes.
    Except we aren't making changes. I watched two black men get murdered by cops this week imo, bc they were black. I heard a 4 year old child try to comfort her hero of a mom after one of those shootings by telling her "I'm here with you." I watched cops arrest that woman and put that child in a police car as if THEY had done a single thing wrong. WTF have we learned?

Here's the thing, we can't erase history. It is there. What we can do is to stop treating people who we think have committed a crime differently than ones we know have committed one. The next time there's a mass shooting and we aren't too sure where the person have hidden their guns, why don't we shoot them instead of taking them to get food? Why put them in bullet proof vest to prevent their death? But, we stop people who may or may not have a gun and the first thought is to shoot them center mass multiple times. Then, to help with the fact that they have killed someone they search to see if he has a criminal background and if he doesn't they search his social media and if that is clean, a story is made up to fit the narrative. He thought he was a robbery suspect, but we let mass shooters get arrested a lot of the time without incident. Can we just make it to court and not have the cops be our judge, jury, and executioner? We aren't asking the police to take us o Burger King, we are just asking for them to stop killing us.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information