Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Justin Timberlake blasted for ignorance

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The problem isn't white people singing "black" music. Teena Marie did that and everyone loved her. I still love her!

The problem is when the majority accepts something created by a minority, ignores where it originally came from and then pretends like they created it.

Black people also helped create the roots of country music, so they aren't "appropriating" it. They aren't taking it over and acting like white people didn't have a part in creating it. Black people are, for the most part, not a part of country music, a few celebs notwithstanding.

I think people overreacted to his tweet and I don't see Timberlake as appropriating black culture. I don't like him, but he's pretty honest about who his inspirations are and doesn't try to pretend like he created the genre he is currently successful in.
    I think it's pretty obvious the types of artists that Timberlake is influenced by. Many, many white artists have bee influenced by black musicians and told everyone about it. From Justin to Stevie Ray Vaughan. What record labels do is beyond their reach.

To the country thing. I could say similar about jazz. It has European influences. But there are still people that literally think white people can't play it.

Now someone like Iggy Azalea is what could be considered appropriating. Since she is literally acting like someone she is not, to make music.
    ShimmeringGlow and Wisher like this.

Elite Member

Jesse William's speech was about black people who have a voice, but no platform to be heard from. While Timberlake's intentions may have been good, he as a white man already has a platform, so tweeting we are one/the same is seen as insensitive, because we ought to be one and treated the same way, but that's just not the reality for black people. The fact that we're talking more about Timberlake's tweet than Williams' speech is a very telling example of how white people have easier access to media platforms, which black people don't.

I hate being in a position to defend this kid. But he's from Memphis and still has ties here. I can totally buy his influences being R&B/Soul.

I want to like him. But he still annoys me. Not for this though. I definitely don't think he meant any harm. He probably would have been better off just not commenting here though. No win situation.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Kind of sucks though that you can't comment positively about something without getting raked over the coals for it.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

and that's why we snark. It's safer.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    No one group owns a music. Timberlake is very influenced by many black musicians. He would be the first one to tell you that. But apparently, if a white person makes music that is influenced by black people, idiots come out of the woodwork to claim it's stealing or appropriating.

If a black person plays country music, does that in some way mean they are appropriating white culture?
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I know that. It's just that nobody claims they steal anything. No one music belongs to any group of people. Most music has it's roots in several aspects of different styles of music.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The problem isn't white people singing "black" music. Teena Marie did that and everyone loved her. I still love her!

The problem is when the majority accepts something created by a minority, ignores where it originally came from and then pretends like they created it.

Black people also helped create the roots of country music, so they aren't "appropriating" it. They aren't taking it over and acting like white people didn't have a part in creating it. Black people are, for the most part, not a part of country music, a few celebs notwithstanding.

I think people overreacted to his tweet and I don't see Timberlake as appropriating black culture. I don't like him, but he's pretty honest about who his inspirations are and doesn't try to pretend like he created the genre he is currently successful in.
    Joe King Taylor and Big Mama Thornton
    witchcurlgirl and Wisher like this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

She's amazing. The end of this is incredible.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Bronze Member

Completely agree with gas_chick. We cannot fix issues that we cannot talk about. And we cannot talk about issues so long as people insist on finding an insult in every spoken word. I don't even like JT but he definitely got a raw deal here.

I've been a fighter for social justice my entire life. I've marched with BLM and other groups. But over the past few years, I've become more reticent to speak about race, not less. It bothers me that we can't have a dialogue about it with the understanding that our language may not always line up, but this isn't out of bad intention and putting people on blast over it isn't going to solve a damn thing.

I've heard that Morgan Freeman said that the only way to get rid of racism is to stop dwelling on it, stop clinging to it, stop teaching our children about the past, and simply start living differently. It sounds ridiculously simple but shit, nothing else is working. It really bothers me.
    Last edited by lulu09; June 30th, 2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: thought train derailment
    Alysheba likes this.

Stop teaching our children about the past? What the fuck kind of shit is that?
    Brah, Wisher, NickiDrea and 5 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by lulu09 View Post
    Completely agree with gas_chick. We cannot fix issues that we cannot talk about. And we cannot talk about issues so long as people insist on finding an insult in every spoken word. I don't even like JT but he definitely got a raw deal here.

I've been a fighter for social justice my entire life. I've marched with BLM and other groups. But over the past few years, I've become more reticent to speak about race, not less. It bothers me that we can't have a dialogue about it with the understanding that our language may not always line up, but this isn't out of bad intention and putting people on blast over it isn't going to solve a damn thing.

I've heard that Morgan Freeman said that the only way to get rid of racism is to stop dwelling on it, stop clinging to it, stop teaching our children about the past, and simply start living differently. It sounds ridiculously simple but shit, nothing else is working. It really bothers me.
    "Those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it." ~Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Stop teaching our children about the past? What the fuck kind of shit is that?
    Yeah, that's just stupid. For Morgan to say. But I still love his God like voice.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy shit, I totally just snorted laughed over the idea of Morgan Freeman saying Titty Sprinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I do this on the board if I know the poster is from another country.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information