Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Juliette Binoche criticises youth-obsessed US

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Plus there are also the Gay-posing-as-straight producers (Ryan Seacrest anyone?) who actually finance the films/tv productions who wish to appeal to the lowest common denominator and go for the easy & quick win.

Female beauty can be a subtle thing, and I think that a lot of (non-media influencing) people realise this.

on a side note:- didn't she go out with Patrick Muldoon for a number of years? (or have I confused her with someone else?)
    This would also explain the high number of tiny, pretty twink-boys getting so much attention in Hollywood. I mean come on.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    Yay!! I love sweeping generalisations about a country's citizens!

This thread rules.
    Oh come on, our teeth are so pretty and white they are actually blue and we have so many veneers we look like we have a mouth full of Chickletts.

You have to make light of celebrity rants, they are usually something ignorant. Like Paris Hiltons "I don't like England, they speak French"

and like a over the hill actress ranting on plastic Hollywood celebs, because even with plastic Juliette still isn't going to get any choice roles.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    on a side note:- didn't she go out with Patrick Muldoon for a number of years? (or have I confused her with someone else?)
    Don't shoot the messenger. It may not be as true of the general populace but it is definitely true of women in the film and television industry.

That being said. Why are 16-year-olds getting breast implants? Why is plastic surgery becoming the most popular elective surgery in the country?

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons released statistics on cosmetic plastic surgery, and reports that:
    "Nearly 11 million cosmetic plastic surgery procedures were performed in the United States in 2006, up 7 percent from 2005. Surgical cosmetic procedures increased 2 percent, with more than 1.8 million procedures performed. For the first time, breast augmentation (329,000) is the most popular surgical procedure since the ASPS began collecting statistics in 1992. Minimally invasive cosmetic procedures increased 8 percent, with more than 9 million performed, and hyaluronic acid injectables (778,000) make the top five for first time. Reconstructive plastic surgery decreased 3 percent."
    The Society also reports that women represent 90% of all cosmetic surgery patients, and rates among women are up 55% since 2000. Rates among men are up 8% from 2000, but down 7% from 2005.

I know statistics can be skewed but I have no doubt that these are pretty close to accurate. It is a $10 billion dollar industry in this country. American women go under the knife for strictly cosmetic reason almost 7:1 than women in France. The UK is the European country that is the closest to the US statistics.

SIDE NOTE: I think you are thinking about Olivier Martinez, Binoche dated him for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by q2bess View Post
    The UK is the European country that is the closest to the US statistics.

SIDE NOTE: I think you are thinking about Olivier Martinez, Binoche dated him for a few years.

and we have the chavtastic Jordan, Jodie and Alicia Duvall (or something like that?)

I was coming at it from the Patrick Muldoon angle... so I think I've got the woman wrong.... But thank you! Olivier has dated some gorgous women

She does have a point. Older women have a silent strength that can be so sexy...nothing better than confidence that can only come through trial and error. These women who have Botox do not look happy whatsoever...they do look scared, scared to death that their value as a human being and women will lost to a wrinkle. Fuck that.

smf

why is everyone always picking on americans

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^Because for the most part, we're a bunch of goobers.

She's right in some ways. I was just reading her full interview in the paper. The media industry is obsessed with women looking young, especially in Hollywood. It's ridiculous everyone feels they have to get rid of every wrinkle and stay looking 20 or whatever! When you're an actress it's important to show expressions, but that's a bit impossible when your face is frozen with botox.

Quote Originally Posted by smf View Post
    why is everyone always picking on americans

Cause you've ben picking on the rest of the world for about 50 years with all the ridiculous stereotypes that US films are filled with. My fave for this is Armageddon!

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    If thats the case then how come everytime I see her she's wearing some gosh awful hoochie momma dress made for a twenty year old?

French women this and French women that, just because they are skinny. Big deal we have skinny women in Hollywood, they also go for the cigarette diet.

btw French broad...we have better teeth and big tits so there!!!
    Hmmmm. Apparently, Johnny Depp has already voted on this issue. He has been in a relationship with French actress Vanessa Paradis for about 10 years. And even though she's eight years younger, she looks young enough to be his daughter.

Oh come on, our teeth are so pretty and white they are actually blue and we have so many veneers we look like we have a mouth full of Chickletts.

You have to make light of celebrity rants, they are usually something ignorant. Like Paris Hiltons "I don't like England, they speak French"

and like a over the hill actress ranting on plastic Hollywood celebs, because even with plastic Juliette still isn't going to get any choice roles.
    If you check IMDB.com, she seems to have plenty of work. About two-three films a year over the past three years.
    Last edited by Tati; May 7th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Hmmmm. Apparently, Johnny Depp has already voted on this issue. He has been in a relationship with French actress Vanessa Paradis for about 10 years. And even though she's eight years younger, she looks young enough to be his daughter.
    Have you seen Vanessa lately? Without being dolled up.

Binoche has a point about the Hollywood thing and I can accept this coming from her. I'm kind of tried of hearing actresses complain about the ageism, who have obviously done plastic surgery and were only famous because of their looks.

^^^
    Their daughter is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by tragicallyflawed View Post
    Have you seen Vanessa lately? Without being dolled up.

Binoche has a point about the Hollywood thing and I can accept this coming from her. I'm kind of tried of hearing actresses complain about the ageism, who have obviously done plastic surgery and were only famous because of their looks.
    Well, she looks like she has the body of a teenager in that photo, despite the fact that she's making a face. And what about Johnny Depp, without getting dolled up (I hear this is actually him without makeup -- Sweeny Todd role notwithstanding.)?

It's pretty obvious he's wearing makeup, well to me anyways. I never said he was a spring chicken, just that he doesn't look like her father. Besides their are plenty of actresses with lithe bodies, doesn't change how their faces look like.

^^ remember that movie Chocolate? Johnny Depp played her love interest.... she looked like his mother.. yep I said it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information