Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Julia Roberts' Half-Sister Passes Away in Apparent Drug Overdose

Silver Member

From what I've read, verbal abuse is much worse than physical abuse. If Nancy grew up with Julia consistently verbally abusing her about her weight, I wouldn't doubt that this would have contributed to her low self esteem and possible cause of her substance abuse problems.

Nancy did not grow up with Julia. I seriously doubt that Julia flew home to tell Nancy she was fat. It was probably more like Julia telling her that Hollywood is a hard town for people who are not thin. Nancy didn't try to blame Julia when she was living off her and going to rehab while Julia picked up the tab. Nancy is a typical addict who blames everyone else for her own failure.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Per that Daily Fail article, this pic is from 1997. Nancy would've been about 20. She doesn't look overweight to me.

Here's one from the Pretty Woman era (1990) so she would've been about 13:

Not sure of the date on this one, but she's looking a little heavier here:

Before her gastric bypass in 2012:

So where did all these childhood fat-shaming stories come from? Seems to me she didn't start really gaining weight until well into adulthood.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well, not to put too fine a point on it but a girl doesn't have to be obese for a skinny mean girl to fat shame her.

Julia's other sister isn't skinny, or all that pretty either. Still very much alive, last I heard.

My point was, I believe Nancy's issues were very much in her own head. I also don't believe that Julia drove her to suicide by taunting her about her weight.
    McJag, sluce and *DIVA! like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

If someone has a victim mentality then anything that anyone says to them can be twisted into an insult in their mind. Nancy could have complained about her weight and been given advice on how to get it under control and in her mind it would become bullying and fat shaming. She also doesn't look fat by real person standards in the photo of her at around 20 but by Hollywood standards she was a heifer. That's the cruel reality of the industry and very few average or larger women make it, and those that do tend to be typecast in slapstick "fat-girl-falls-over-and-breaks-stuff" comedy and "cake-stuffing-because-they're-eternally-single-BFF-to-the-skinny-lead" roles. Julia may be umpteen different kinds of bitch but I think she was probably trying to protect Nancy by discouraging her from trying to make it as an actress. Even if Nancy had been whip thin I don't think she had the necessary mental strength to cope with the constant pressures that actresses face.
    ariesallover, rollo and Trixie like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Did she really still want to be an actress or was she just imagining piles of cash because she got a job in Hollywood? I think the real issue was that she couldn't make bank the way that Julia could and (in her eyes) Julia was mean with her handouts. Obviously it's more sympathetic to make it a weight issue.
    sluce and Trixie like this.

As much as I dislike Julia, I think that she is way to busy browbeating her husband and hitting on horrified waiters and legendary directors to be taking shots at her half sisters.
    PecanPie and Bluebonnet like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Julia's other sister isn't skinny, or all that pretty either. Still very much alive, last I heard.

My point was, I believe Nancy's issues were very much in her own head. I also don't believe that Julia drove her to suicide by taunting her about her weight.
    As I said earlier, I don't believe Julia drove Nancy to suicide either.

I don't know why I'm discussing this. I don't know enough to judge the behavior of any of these people. It is so sad and depressing. I feel sorry for all involved, especially the Mom. :-(

Whatever. Don't discuss it then. I was responding to the speculation that Nancy grew up with Julia "consistently verbally abusing" her about her weight, contributing to her low self-esteem and substance abuse. IMO, her issues were her own, that's all I meant. And yes, of course it's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Hunh. I think both Julia's half sisters had better features than she does. Not beauties for sure, although that sister ^^ is imo prettier than Julia. But I think Julia is pretty ugly so...

She was almost pretty in "Mystic Pizza" and around that time. But remember...she was a bit chunky then, too.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

^ Actually, that's her older sister Lisa. Julia, Lisa and Eric's father is the mom's first husband, Nancy is from her second marriage.

Here's the latest from the ever-reliable National Enquirer.

EXCLUSIVE: JULIA ROBERTS AGONY OVER SISTER SUICIDE

Published on: February 17, 2014
    by NATIONAL ENQUIRER STAFF

JULIA ROBERTS’ half-sister Nancy Motes committed suicide – and the Oscar winner is said to be wracked with anguish about it.

The death was originally reported as a suicide – a final COD determination will take weeks – and the source said Julia “wishes she could have talked to her and worked out their differences, and she’s heartbroken that it’s now too late.”

Sadly, Nancy, 37, a former production assistant on the TV show “Glee,” took her own life in Los Angeles, Calif., on Feb. 9.

“Nancy felt she was at the end of her rope,” said the source.

Meanwhile, Nancy’s fiancÚ John Dilbeck was the one who found her lifeless body and he lashed out in grief at the family.

According to an official at the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office, Nancy – who’d been suffering from depression – was pronounced dead at 2:12 p.m. of an apparent overdose. She was found in the bathtub at 1000 N. Bundy Drive in Los Angeles.

“Nancy was a dog-walker and she had gone over to a client’s house to walk his dog while he was out of town,” revealed a family insider. “She’d taken her prescription medications with her – antidepression drugs and anti-anxiety tablets – and swallowed a bunch while she was in the bathtub.”

Meanwhile, her fiancÚ John became alarmed when he repeatedly called Nancy on her cell phone and she didn’t pick up.

He went to her client’s house – and to his horror, found her dead.

Devastated, he called up Julia’s sister Lisa Gillan and, according to the source, unleashed his rage. The source revealed: “Lisa was thunderstruck and, when Julia found out, she became hysterical. “She’s been crying her eyes out ever since.”

In a statement, Julia and her family – including Lisa Roberts Gillan and brother Eric Roberts – said: “It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes...confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose...The family is both shocked and devastated.”

The women’s mother, Betty Motes – who lives in a home Julia bought her near Pacific Palisades, Calif. – was in the hospital at the time of Nancy’s death, undergoing tests. “She was due to be released but was so over*come with emotion that she decided to stay at the hospital because her blood pressure had soared,” said the family insider.

“This was not an accidental overdose on Nancy’s part – far from it. She had planned this. “The police informed the family that they had found envelopes addressed to Lisa, Julia, (their mom) Betty and (Nancy’s fiancÚ) John.” The contents of the notes have not been released.

As ENQUIRER readers know, Julia and her half-sister Nancy had been feuding for years. The sisters had a difficult relationship, and a source says Nancy blamed Julia for constantly belittling her.

In 2005, we revealed how Julia exploded when she caught Nancy snapping pictures of her then-newborn twins Hazel and Phinnaeus at the actress’ home in Taos, N.M.

The two also got into a heated fight when Julia made disparaging remarks because Nancy had blown up to 300 pounds. “Julia thought Nancy’s weight was humiliating for her and the entire family,” divulged a source close to the star’s husband Danny Moder.

Despite their differences, Julia landed Nancy a job as a production assistant on the TV show “Glee,” thanks to her connections with the show’s creator, “Eat Pray Love” director Ryan Murphy. “Everyone thought that hostility between the two would relax after that,” said the source. “But instead, things just got worse.”

Tensions between Julia, 46, and her sister exploded into the open at Nancy’s birthday party in May 2011 at Betty’s home. “Julia was rolling her eyes and making cutting comments about Nancy’s weight behind her back,” said the source. “She whispered to party- goers, ‘Can you believe how big she’s gotten?’ “When Nancy got wind of what Julia was saying, she confronted her, telling her to shut up and leave her alone. “Julia shot back, ‘Well, I wouldn’t have to (bring it up) if you had enough self-respect to lose some weight!’ “Nancy told Julia to ‘go (bleep) yourself’ – ruining the party.”

But the criticism through the years did convince her to do something about her weight. Nancy underwent gastric bypass surgery and eventually slimmed down to 155.

Last year Nancy suffered a severe financial blow when she was dumped from “Glee.” Depressed, Nancy had little or no money and hefty bills, including a $30,000 debt for her gastric-bypass operation. Said the source: Nancy may have “felt that suicide was the ONLY way out.”

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/exclusive-julia-roberts-agony-over-sister-suicide

I still call bullshit!! Why did she get fired from the job Julia got for her? Why does she owe 30k for her surgery. Show me any hospital or surgeon who would perform an elective surgery without getting insurance approval or paid up front.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I still call bullshit!! Why did she get fired from the job Julia got for her? Why does she owe 30k for her surgery. Show me any hospital or surgeon who would perform an elective surgery without getting insurance approval or paid up front.
    She might have had the surgery done with that medical credit card thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    In one of those interviews she did about Julia, she made a point of saying she didn't ask Julia for the money for the gastric bypass, that she took out a loan to pay for it. I remember that, because at the time I thought, well geez, give this girl a medal...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information