Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Journey Singer Steve Perry Undergoes Cancer Surgery

Let's face it, Journey is a guilty pleasure. And liking Air Supply is something you generally only confide to your therapist during one of your breakthrough sessions.
    llamamama and Bluebonnet like this.

and even then, it's suspect.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

You are just jealous they can make love outta nothing at all.
    witchcurlgirl and Bluebonnet like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

And I don't know how they do it.
    gas_chick and witchcurlgirl like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I agree with what Olivia said about Arnel Pineda. He's got a great voice, and probably a wider range than Steve Perry, but he's been in cover bands his entire professional life, so his own style is underdeveloped, along with his own natural range. Being able to sound like Steve Perry AND Axl Rose (among others) is pretty damn impressive, which makes me with I could hear him sing AS himself.

(Being able to cover Axl Rose note for note is more impressive than matching Steve Perry. Any singer with the range can cover Journey, and approximate the tone, even if they won't sound as good doing it as Steve Perry. Guns 'N' Roses is a different beast, because Axl has a very peculiar voice. He's got an exceptional range, and the transition between his chest voice and his head voice is like a semi plowing into a steel blast door. In most singers, that would be a huge flaw, but with Axl it pretty much defines his style.)
    olivia likes this.

Steve Perry, for what it's worth, crafted his own voice and style. The fact that Arnel Pineda can do an impression of him, and is apparently going to make a career of it, is kind of sad to me. Like being the Rich Little of rock music.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Steve Perry, for what it's worth, crafted his own voice and style. The fact that Arnel Pineda can do an impression of him, and is apparently going to make a career of it, is kind of sad to me. Like being the Rich Little of rock music.
    It's the music business. Everyone starts out doing covers, some are lucky enough to break out and make money doing originals. And even then, you can always hear their influences.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    It's the music business. Everyone starts out doing covers, some are lucky enough to break out and make money doing originals. And even then, you can always hear their influences.
    I've seen bands do a lot of covers, and then slowly develop their own material. In this case, the band already has its material and needs this guy almost exclusively for touring purposes. It reminds me a little of when Lawrence Gowan replaced Dennis DeYoung when the other members of Styx wanted to go out on tour and Dennis didn't.
    Lalique likes this.

Bronze Member

no way would i pay to see journey without steve perry
    sparkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've seen bands do a lot of covers, and then slowly develop their own material. In this case, the band already has its material and needs this guy almost exclusively for touring purposes. It reminds me a little of when Lawrence Gowan replaced Dennis DeYoung when the other members of Styx wanted to go out on tour and Dennis didn't.
    Or Steve Augeri, who was in Journey before Arnel Pineda. He even looked like Steve Perry with a perm, it was kind of creepy.

There is some serious bad blood between Dennis DeYoung and the surviving members of Styx (at least Tommy Shaw and James Young), maybe even worse than the animosity in Journey. It's ironic that it was the arena bands with a rep for love songs that ended up nurturing that much sheer hate for each other.
    MohandasKGanja and Lalique like this.

I'm going against the grain here, but I think Arnel Pineda is fucking awesome! I don't believe he's a clone because no one comes close to Steve Perry. NO ONE! People can shit on Arnel being Journey's frontman, but one thing is certain, no one can deny that the guy has humongous talent. How many singers do you know can sing in two languages, and might I add, exceptionally well? English isn't Arnel's first language for christ's sakes! Anyway, he definitely had that "IT" factor from the beginning. And it took Journey and the rest of the world to finally take notice. *shrugs* As for Steve Perry, I hope he recovers quickly and I wish him well.
    llamamama likes this.
    Rock the fuck on!

There is some serious bad blood between Dennis DeYoung and the surviving members of Styx (at least Tommy Shaw and James Young), maybe even worse than the animosity in Journey. It's ironic that it was the arena bands with a rep for love songs that ended up nurturing that much sheer hate for each other.
    It seems like Dennis DeYoung has kind of an offputting personality and is difficult to get along with. Just a really talented guy who apparently has to do things his own way.

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    I'm going against the grain here, but I think Arnel Pineda is fucking awesome! I don't believe he's a clone because no one comes close to Steve Perry. NO ONE! People can shit on Arnel being Journey's frontman, but one thing is certain, no one can deny that the guy has humongous talent. How many singers do you know can sing in two languages, and might I add, exceptionally well? English isn't Arnel's first language for christ's sakes! Anyway, he definitely had that "IT" factor from the beginning. And it took Journey and the rest of the world to finally take notice. *shrugs* As for Steve Perry, I hope he recovers quickly and I wish him well.
    I didn't mean to denigrate Pineda's talent. I just think that you are kind of pigeonholing yourself to basically replace someone in a band when the expectation is that you are going to be a soundalike, and the band is not motivated to create any new material either.

To add to the Steve Perry thing, I was watching one of those Behind the Music things on Journey. And it had gotten to the point where Perry no longer wanted to (or wasn't up to) touring with the band. Then, he kind of threw in a comment that he never felt like he was accepted by, or was considered a full member of, Journey. So, then in a separate separate the interviewer asks Journey bassist Ross Valory about it, and Valory looks dumbfounded. He shakes his head and goes, "He was in every meeting, he participated in writing the songs and making decisions, we did everything with him. I just don't know what to say to that." like he was talking about a madman.

Elite Member

(Being able to cover Axl Rose note for note is more impressive than matching Steve Perry. Any singer with the range can cover Journey, and approximate the tone, even if they won't sound as good doing it as Steve Perry. Guns 'N' Roses is a different beast, because Axl has a very peculiar voice. He's got an exceptional range, and the transition between his chest voice and his head voice is like a semi plowing into a steel blast door. In most singers, that would be a huge flaw, but with Axl it pretty much defines his style.)
    Jesus Pete, that's a great description of Axel's voice! Once in a while, all that will do is Sweet Child of Mine or G&R's live version of Live and Let Die, when one needs something like a music seizure.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Axl, really?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    I don't think anyone is running Arnel Pineda down. Anyone who can cover the range of dramatically different singers that he can has one hell of a voice. I wish he had been discovered on his own, and not on Youtube as a replacement for Steve Perry, because he is talented enough that he deserved to make a name for himself as himself, and not as "that guy who can sound just like _____".
    olivia and sparkles like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information