Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: John Travolta: Read a Book (Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, $16.07)

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    Taxes are very cheap for them - $0.00, they are a 'church'
    Derp!!! Had a senior moment there....
    what a scam.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    $cibots always use this tack. "You can't have an opinion about my religion until you read Hubbard's nonsense and undergo auditing!" I don't need to eat shit to know that it tastes bad.
    All religions say this to disbelievers. "You just don't understand it" or "you just don't understand it correctly" or "you have to interpret it <this way>."

He didn't really say anything novel or outrageous. Just same old same old religious arguments towards detractors.

I really think that Scientology does hold John Travolta, Tom Cruise and many other people as hostages and moneymakers.

The German government has said that it does not consider Scientology a religion, but a "commercial enterprise with a history of taking advantage of vulnerable individuals and an extreme dislike of any criticism" whose "totalitarian structure and methods may pose a risk to Germany's democratic society". Accordingly, the German government has taken a very strong stance against the organization. It is seen as a cult over here, polls suggest that most Germans favor banning Scientology altogether.

I have a friend who signed up on their mailing list so she could get a free copy of Dianetics. The first three chapters of the book she thought she was reading a science fiction novel.

I think all churches should be taxed or at least should have to disclose their funds to the IRS. There are a lot of churches (especially mega churches) that are getting up to some pretty shady shit, like running apartments on church property and not getting taxed for it. Not to mention the giant untaxed compounds owned by megachurch pastors (at the 42:25 minute mark):

I have a friend who signed up on their mailing list so she could get a free copy of Dianetics. The first three chapters of the book she thought she was reading a science fiction novel.
    She was.
    witchcurlgirl and Kittylady like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

[QUOTE=Brookie;3335956]
    I have a friend who signed up on their mailing list so she could get a free copy of Dianetics. The first three chapters of the book she thought she was reading a science fiction novel. [\quote]

She was.
    lol True, but she didn't know that she was supposed to be reading religious non-fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    All religions say this to disbelievers. "You just don't understand it" or "you just don't understand it correctly" or "you have to interpret it <this way>."
    The difference though is most other religions would happily give you a free copy of their holy book to take away and read. They don't generally hold you in a closed room for hours showing you rubbish propaganda films until you hand over your credit card and agree to sign up for expensive courses.

*Disclaimer* I don't belong to any religion.
    twitchy2.0, Janus, Brookie and 2 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I've never even seen a scio "church" nor been asked to take the test. *feels inadequate*
    Nor have I. Mind you, I cross the street when I have to go anywhere near the building.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    I really think that Scientology does hold John Travolta, Tom Cruise and many other people as hostages and moneymakers.

The German government has said that it does not consider Scientology a religion, but a "commercial enterprise with a history of taking advantage of vulnerable individuals and an extreme dislike of any criticism" whose "totalitarian structure and methods may pose a risk to Germany's democratic society". Accordingly, the German government has taken a very strong stance against the organization. It is seen as a cult over here, polls suggest that most Germans favor banning Scientology altogether.
    The German government is 100% correct.
    idunno, Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    Travolta and Cruise are hostages in some ways, but they are also willing participants who enjoy the benefits of scientology's celebrity treatment - such as covering up Travolta's bath house indiscretions.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    The difference though is most other religions would happily give you a free copy of their holy book to take away and read. They don't generally hold you in a closed room for hours showing you rubbish propaganda films until you hand over your credit card and agree to sign up for expensive courses.
    I've always been intrigued by that difference. Certain religions enthusiastically give away their "holy texts" for free. And its there for you to read and interpret - hopefully, with the guidance of someone else. Torah, Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon. I've still got a Koran, with both Arab and English translations on each page, and footnoted explanations at the bottom, in my desk. Given to me by an old neighbor.

I know so little about Scientology that I don't know if they have what would be called a "holy book". It's not Dianetics, is it? And moreover, the entirety of the revealed religious wisdom of Scientology is held closely by the church and only after spending years and tens of thousands of dollars progressing through various OT levels.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

And moreover, the entirety of the revealed religious wisdom of Scientology is held closely by the church and only after spending years and tens of thousands of dollars progressing through various OT levels.

That's the clearest distinction for me between Co$ and something like Christianity or Islam. They will happily discuss the meaning of their religion/faith for free.
    idunno likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've always been intrigued by that difference. Certain religions enthusiastically give away their "holy texts" for free. And its there for you to read and interpret - hopefully, with the guidance of someone else. Torah, Bible, Koran, Book of Mormon. I've still got a Koran, with both Arab and English translations on each page, and footnoted explanations at the bottom, in my desk. Given to me by an old neighbor.

I know so little about Scientology that I don't know if they have what would be called a "holy book". It's not Dianetics, is it? And moreover, the entirety of the revealed religious wisdom of Scientology is held closely by the church and only after spending years and tens of thousands of dollars progressing through various OT levels.
    I think the OT3 material is the closest to a holy book, the scientologists have. After going clear and passing OT levels 1-3 (to the tune of $160,000+), they put you in a locked room and let you read the top secret OT3 material, which is the Xenu-story from the South Park episode. Lots of scientologists never go further than OT3, because they've been sold the idea that they'll save the world, but instead they get a badly written scifi story. It's tragic, because many have no to little education or work experience outside scientology, many have lost contact to friends and family, and many have re-mortgaged their home to reach this point. I guess OT3 is the time where you decide to cut your losses and leave, or throw in an extra $140,000+ to reach OT8, which supposedly enables you to move objects with the power of your mind.

Interestingly enough, Miscavige replaced OT levels 4-8 with new OT levels 4-8 in the early 80's as one of the first things after he took over from Hubbard, so members who had spent lots of time and money getting to OT8 now had to pay to redo levels 4-8, earning Co$ even more money. Miscavige has also announced OT levels 9-15 to be released sometime in the future, when they run low on money, I suppose. I think this is a clear indication, that Co$ isn't getting enough new members. Instead they have to skin their existing members again and again.
    Kittylady likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information