Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: John Travolta: Read a Book (Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, $16.07)

I'm so glad all you smart ladies didn't get it either, I was afraid it was me.

This (lonely) guy I worked with years ago loved to go to Scientology events because he said that they had really, really hot Scientology women shamelessly flirt with the guys to get them to join.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    " I don't need to eat shit to know that it tastes bad.
    My new favorite saying!
    holly, Brookie, Lalasnake and 1 others like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I distinctly remember them asking why do you close the bathroom door when using the bathroom even if no one was home.
    Because it's the only time I can get more than 30 seconds peace from the cats?
    Nevan, Trixie, Lalasnake and 2 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by ADel View Post
    I remember those commercials. I bought the book back then because it was marketed as a self-help kinda thing. At the time, I was all into that. It was completely unreadable gobbledygook. It made no sense whatsoever and I don't think I read any more than a couple of pages. I remember being very disappointed.
    Me too. Same reaction. I began reading crazy bits out loud in the bookstore where I worked, got quite a few laughs. I'd bought it mostly because my bf at the time had a grandmother who was a science fiction magazine editor and had known Hubbard well. She told her son what Hubbard told her about the origins of Scientology, and he passed it on to his kid, then to me. Basically yeah, L. Ron started it as a joke, on a bet, and he was a total huckster who wanted to prove he could invent a religion and make a shitload of $$$ off it. I gather he won the bet and I don't think he believed one word of his own bullshit, at least not at first.

It seems that all this is pretty common knowledge now, but back in the 80's, everyone we told the story to was really shocked and didn't believe us. Funny.

Those questionnaires they used to push on people were far more interesting than the book...in the sense that they told you far more about the weirdos who put the questionnaire together than anything else, lol. There were some sick questions on there--they thought anybody would answer them honestly?! "You get a sexual thrill out of setting things on fire."
    Bluebonnet and Mrs P like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I was 18 living in 29 Palms at the time and those commercials were always on. The guy that drove me to the airport to leave had a copy in his car. Years later when I found out lrh was the Scientology guy, I wondered and still do if my friend/ driver was a sciobot.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I'd worry about losing IQ points by reading that drivel, thereby making me susceptible to brainwashing. Is that how it works?
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Bronze Member

I got given a copy of the book free when I 'agreed' to be audited. My ex and I were students at the time, visiting a new city, and wandered past a building with lots of young people standing outside trying to drum up victims to be 'audited'. I agreed and persuaded my ex to go in as it was freezing cold and I wanted the free cup of tea they offered.
    Sadly, my initial audit (described as 'personality test ' at the time) revealed that I didn't appear to have any particular issues that they could help with, so they said if I continued with the programme, I'd just find my life getting better and better. My ex though revealed he had depressive tendancies that they could really help with. We just smiled , ate the biscuits and took our free Dianetics book. This must have been around 1982.
    It all sounded crazy even then, and I never managed more than a few of the pages in the book.
    sprynkles and twitchy2.0 like this.

I remember the commercial where they just kept reading: "Read Dianetics, Read Dianetics, Read Dianetics" with the book floating toward the screen.

When I was young and lived in Georgetown, I took the personality test with a friend. It was cold and starting to snow and I think that's the M.O. They wait for you outside and lure you in with hot chocolate, heat, snacks, etc. We left before they really got started. They gave us information sheets and a copy of Dianetics. I wish I would have kept that stuff. We went in as a joke and started to get nervous that they were going to trap us there for hours

My SO and his business partner did the same thing in NYC when they were trying to waste time. My SO is ruthless so he started asking way too many questions and they hustled him out of there quickly.

Those Dianetics commercials were all over the TV in the 80s. I'm pretty sure they ran during kid's programming in the late afternoon too.

I also recall an infomercial starrng the oldest sister from the Waltons. I think her name is Judy Taylor Norton (too lazy to look up). She was pushing a 100 + tape set (not really but it was a lot of tapes) instructing one on how to go clear.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

The whole thing is so crazy. I can't believe these folks believe in Xeno or whatever written by a Science Fiction Writer. LR Hubbard had to be laughing all the way to the bank.
    As my Dad used to say. "There is an ass for every seat". Yes indeed.

[IMG][/IMG]
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

There's a huge Scientology building on the UT-Austin campus, has been there for decades. They own it and taxes must be cheap because I don't know how they stay in operation in this day and age....there used to be other tenants there, cafes and such, but they ultimately kicked them all out. When I was in college, they'd lure people in with a free "IQ test." I only knew of one person who agreed to go in, and holy shit would you believe she was a GENIUS!! Omg, for real y'all!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    There's a huge Scientology building on the UT-Austin campus, has been there for decades. They own it and taxes must be cheap because I don't know how they stay in operation in this day and age....there used to be other tenants there, cafes and such, but they ultimately kicked them all out. When I was in college, they'd lure people in with a free "IQ test." I only knew of one person who agreed to go in, and holy shit would you believe she was a GENIUS!! Omg, for real y'all!
    Taxes are very cheap for them - $0.00, they are a 'church'

I remember them advertising those IQ tests with a window banner at their San Francisco center (on Post or Sutter Street?) in the 90s.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

I've never even seen a scio "church" nor been asked to take the test. *feels inadequate*
    Nevan and Brookie like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I've never even seen a scio "church" nor been asked to take the test. *feels inadequate*
    *Points and laughs at Shellee No-Mates*

I was approached at a car boot sale. They had a stall offering free personality tests but as soon as they realised I knew what they were and was looking forward to a spirited discussion they lost interest and started finding anything to do that didn't involve making eye contact or conversation.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information