Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: John Edwards: I ain't yo' baby's daddy!

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Lot's of Cancer patients lose their sex drive. I've known a few women who told me that after chemotherapy, all the medication, the nausea and the constant worrying, the LAST thing on their mind is puttting on sexy nightie and doing the nasty. It is a constant mental and spiritual battle to stay alive. Not only that, a lot of cancer patients get put on anti-depressants to keep their mood up and help them sleep...but it also totally kills their libido. They feel nothing from the waist down even if do do it.

I have an aunt who's husband died of lung cancer. She stood by him till the end, but she admitted that it was very, very difficult. He was constantly sick, nauseated, irritable and depressed. She said at the end he'd get hot flashes to the point where he'd sleep on the couch where it was cooler and not in bed with her. Everything bugged him, the blankets the sheets, even being touched. She loved him but said she had been lonely for years. He battled cancer for 4 yrs. After her experience and seeing how she too suffered along with her husband, I have a greater appreciation for spouses of terminally ill people. Not everyone can handle it. Not everyone can stick by and see their spouse slowly die with this big, jolly positive face.

My guess is that John Edwards' sex life with his wife died years ago. It IS a sad thing indeed that he fell into an affair, but the reality is that it's not easy caring for an ill and dying spouse. He probably hasn't had any sex (or satisfying sex with Elizabeth) for a long, long time.
    and so you're saying it's ok then? Stab her in the heart while she's dying? He's got the rest of his damn life to screw any and everybody. She unfortunately doesn't have that option.

Elite Member

^ Now don't twist things around and say I'm saying it's 'okay' to cheat on a dying spouse. What I am saying is that I empathize with both situations. It is not easy having cancer, but the spouse often times suffers along with you...and a lot more.

My dad also had an uncle and his wife eventually left him when he got terminally ill. He didn't have cancer, he got multiple sclerosis. He had a long, painful slow death. Put it this way, he was difficult even before he was diagnosed with his illness and it sure didn't get better afterwards. He fell into a big depression and constantly talked about dying. According to his kids (my dad's cousins), he would sleep with guns, saying that he didn't want to live anymore and one day he was just going to blow his brains out. It became a living hell for his wife and the kids. His mood swings were crazy and his illness ran the household. Everyone had to walk on eggshells around him, because if any noise woke him up, he'd fly into a rage because the physical pain he was under. I really doubt he was loving and respectful to his wife. He was very angry, in a lot of pain and went through a lot of emotional turmoil facing death. Their lives became engrossed with clergy, doctors, medicine and trying to keep him comfortable. In the end, his wife supposedly met another man and that was the catalyst that ended their marriage.

Anyway, when my uncle's wife left him a lot of people in the family talked shit about her, but I always felt bad for her. Actually, I felt bad for BOTH of them. It must not have been an easy situation for either one of them. She put 30 some years with my uncle (well, again, actually my dad's uncle) and I think she loved him, but didn't have any more energy to invest or watch him die. In the end, she met a man who treated her better and decided to leave him. Some people might call her a scumbag for that. I could see how some would. Anyway, sick or not, she decided she didn't want to be with her husband anymore. She tolerated a lot, but at the end, I think it was the illness that ended their marriage. It must've been too much for her to handle.

My dad's uncle died divorced and in a convalescent home surrounded by his kids.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; August 8th, 2008 at 07:18 PM.

This is a very difficult topic for me as I lived the life of a spouse of a terminally ill cancer patient in my late 20's. My husband, as I knew him, was gone. There was no sex and little intimacy from the time of his illness began until his death 2 1/2 years later. I became a caretaker and he became almost like my child. Since he had a brain tumor, it affected his personality so he literally became child-like. He was also newly blind. He had surgery, radiation and chemo, each of which debilitated him that much more. My life revolved around his illness, medication, treatments, rehabilitation (so he could learn to live as a blind person), and earning a living so I had health insurance for him and money for us to live on.

There were many lonely nights and as a young person, I couldn't comprehend living the rest of our lives this way. I could never have left him and did everything I could to be there and take care of him but I wondered how I could go on like this for years and years and years. I felt consumed with guilt even thinking these thoughts when my poor young husband was dying. I still feel the guilt many years later about actually thinking about what I was going to do. I never acted on anything but if my situation lasted for 10, 20 years or more -what would I have done? I can't say.

I'm not saying that what John Edwards did was right by any means. But I do understand missing the intimacy of your spouse in this kind of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    If the kid isn't his, why was he visiting it in the middle of the night in a hotel room? This is going to push Elizabeth into her grave quicker, what a piece of shit he is.
    I'm watching Keith Olberman right now, and they were talking about when he went to the hotel that night it was filled with camera crews and news shows because of the tv critics awards or some crap. So, why be dumb enough to go to a hotel when there's media all over the place?

Plus, there's no name on the birth certificate, and his former campaign manager said that they paid off the woman and the guy who is claiming to be the father.

And Elizabeth came out and said that he did tell her back in 2006 about the affair, and that they both still decided to run the campaign. And she said that in a way her breast cancer forced them to have to work through the affair. But even with all of this I can't hate John Edwards. What he did was wrong, but at least he didn't flaunt his affair like Rudy Guliani did when his wife was battling cancer.

... maybe he just didn't want to get dick cancer....

*decorates his Gucci handbasket for the trip to hell*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quazar, thank you for sharing your story. I can't relate because I've never been through something like that, but I have had people around me die of cancer and it IS very sad. Some people last YEARS in that sort of situation. The entire family suffers.

In your case, perhaps it was a small blessing that it happened to you when you were young. You had the hope and the energy to hang in their a little longer. Maybe those who are older and have 20 or so years behind just can't do it anymore. In the end that experience had to have made you a better person...and I hope your then husband is in a better place now. The scary thing is that none of us can predict the future---we never know if one day we'll be walking in those shoes. *knocking on wood*

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quazar, your story moved me very much. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and at such a young age!

Maybe we are being too quick to judge here-really, was it necessary to make this story public? He is no longer running for public office, he was never one of those fundie hypocrites, and we don't know what kind of arrangement he had with his very practical, down to earth wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Quazar, your story moved me very much. I'm sorry you had to go through that, and at such a young age!

Maybe we are being too quick to judge here-really, was it necessary to make this story public? He is no longer running for public office, he was never one of those fundie hypocrites, and we don't know what kind of arrangement he had with his very practical, down to earth wife.
    I'd agree with you, except Edwards made a big deal about his character when he was running and said that the public has a right to know what their politicians are doing behind closed doors. And there was talk that he was either going to be the Attorney General or on the Supreme Court if Obama won. So, he opened himself up to all of this.

But what I find hysterical is that Edwards was making Obama and Hillary jump through hoops for his endorsement, and then this shit happens. So, in the end, his endorsement is pretty much worthless now.
    Last edited by kingcap72; August 8th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.

Quarzar-thank you for your brave post. I agree there may be so many stresses here to be reckoned with. Now Elizabeth is forced to make a statement. I just wish they could have kept this private. They were given no choice.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think many of you have already noted the range of emotions I am feeling over this news...hate to empathy. However, I am now so damn nervous about Obama. It seems that every single person in politics has some huge skeleton in their closet and it always comes out in the end. Please don't let Obama have any! I don't think I could take it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'd agree with you, except Edwards made a big deal about his character when he was running and said that the public has a right to know what their politicians are doing behind closed doors. And there was talk that he was either going to be the Attorney General or on the Supreme Court if Obama won. So, he opened himself up to all of this.
    (snipped)

And there is the rub, see? He would have been an awesome Attorney General and I truly believe he would have gone after Bush Admin. criminals and corporate crooks, all of whom have had a free ride the last eight years. Now he can't. Funny, that.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    "I wasn't in love with her" = just wanted to fuck the shit outta someone else's pussy = im sooooooooooooo grateful Obama's our democratic saviour! so grateful. dont screw it up Barack!!!!!
    I think if he fooled around Michelle would cut off his balls and kick him out.
    I'm not surprised by Edwards, he always seemed smarmy to me. He was a personal injury lawyer after all.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    Lot's of Cancer patients lose their sex drive. I've known a few women who told me that after chemotherapy, all the medication, the nausea and the constant worrying, the LAST thing on their mind is puttting on sexy nightie and doing the nasty. It is a constant mental and spiritual battle to stay alive. Not only that, a lot of cancer patients get put on anti-depressants to keep their mood up and help them sleep...but it also totally kills their libido. They feel nothing from the waist down even if do do it.

I have an aunt who's husband died of lung cancer. She stood by him till the end, but she admitted that it was very, very difficult. He was constantly sick, nauseated, irritable and depressed. She said at the end he'd get hot flashes to the point where he'd sleep on the couch where it was cooler and not in bed with her. Everything bugged him, the blankets the sheets, even being touched. She loved him but said she had been lonely for years. He battled cancer for 4 yrs. After her experience and seeing how she too suffered along with her husband, I have a greater appreciation for spouses of terminally ill people. Not everyone can handle it. Not everyone can stick by and see their spouse slowly die with this big, jolly positive face.

My guess is that John Edwards' sex life with his wife died years ago. It IS a sad thing indeed that he fell into an affair, but the reality is that it's not easy caring for an ill and dying spouse. He probably hasn't had any sex (or satisfying sex with Elizabeth) for a long, long time.
    He is either 60 or over. Tough it out for awhile. To cheat and run for president shows me he is stupid. He also thinks he is invincible. We don't need that. His wife should cut his balls off. Besides wasn't she in remission in 2006? The return of the cancer happened during the run for president.
    Last edited by Tati; August 11th, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elizabeth says that she is standing by her man and she is proud of his courage during this difficult time. She asked for the publics respect of her families privacy. Give me a break!

He is slime...we all know it now...please do not think the general public is so pathetic that we would forgive him this easy. In fact, I honeslty lost respect for Elizabeth as well! She's proud of his courage! Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    I think many of you have already noted the range of emotions I am feeling over this news...hate to empathy. However, I am now so damn nervous about Obama. It seems that every single person in politics has some huge skeleton in their closet and it always comes out in the end. Please don't let Obama have any! I don't think I could take it.
    I was thinking the same thing. But if some other woman popped out of the woodworks with Obama's lovechild, Michelle wouldn't be standing by her man, she'd be kicking his ass.

gasp another dishonest lying politician claiming to be all for morality and family. I don't believe it! I can't believe that could possible happen!
    Last edited by viggofan; August 8th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Thread Information