Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: John Cleese accused of racism for saying London no longer an English city

Bronze Member

There's ALSO a more 'context-relevant' definition of 'triggered' than the ol' stock standard and easily dismissed/distractive, "throw it in with the right wing nut-jobs" version

"simply being easily led by deliberately emotive clickbait"

The John Story really shouldn't be that hard to understand.......he's an old tosser who likes what he knows better.

but da da..... the first comment chose to concentrate on past white imperialism and his insensitivity to it in simply liking what he likes (and is comfortable with)....followed by an accusation of reverse racism of the first poster from the next poster......then followed by a discussion on foreign folks having always been in the UK..... which completely ignores the context of how english folks generally use the word 'english' to explain the (dominant) culture of the place (especially tossers like John), just like how say India is very 'Indian' or Japan very 'Japanese' regardless of the multiculturalism that also exists and makes a place, i'm from a British/UK/English colony so I have NO reason to defend those sort of BS superiority complexes having seen them first hand far too often.

There WAS a way better (if maybe difficult) conversation to have relating to Cleese's knob comments in a forever changing world......if we didn't prefer to conveniently use perceived/presumptive 'racism' to dismiss..... while being spoon-fed deliberate tribal-inducing clickbait.

I'm just back from helping shoot a doco in Japan for the past 2 months working with some of the finest traditional wood craftspeople I've ever met, they're not only awesomely talented/skilled/likeable but they're also fiercely proud and protective of their Japanese culture to the point where Japan is often seen by outsiders as racist or at the very least Xenophobic, despite Japanese folks generally being sincerely far more interested by things and folks foreign to themselves than a lot of other places.

Japanese culture, like any culture relies on local community and cultural support to even BE VIABLE, if you had opened up Japan to the great multicultural experiment that most of the the 'suddenly progressive' west have done (while chasing cheap labour, economic growth and 'stop-gapping' an ageing population) there wouldn't have been ANY of the best woodworkers in the world left for me to film (that position would likely be taken by a CNC routing machine in China).

Yeah there are better conversations to have about multiculturalism (both pro and con).......once we get past all the time sucking and sadly well intentioned 'RACISM RACISM RACISM'

TL;DR and your “lecturing” tone didn’t help.

oh and mention click bait a few more times too......
    Last edited by Novice; June 5th, 2019 at 01:07 AM.

Bronze Member

Awesome now 'length' and 'tone' are dismissives...... and if that doesn't work out then maybe a LACK of length and tone will do the trick.

There were more words than 'clickbait' alongside my John like pomposity......maybe even a discussion or debate to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    TL;DR and your “lecturing” tone didn’t help.

oh and mention click bait a few more times too......
    All I heard was Charlie Brown’s teacher. 🤪

Bronze Member

Please ignore the 'wah wah wah' then......there's some free spaces amongst the 'RACISM, RACISM, RACISM' circle jerk/knitting group though if bitchy and dismissive is preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by secretgoldfish View Post
    Please ignore the 'wah wah wah' then......there's some free spaces amongst the 'RACISM, RACISM, RACISM' circle jerk/knitting group though if bitchy and dismissive is preferred.

edit: nope, this never ends well.
    Last edited by faithanne; June 6th, 2019 at 06:28 AM.
    sprynkles likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

There WAS a way better (if maybe difficult) conversation to have relating to Cleese's knob comments in a forever changing world......if we didn't prefer to conveniently use perceived/presumptive 'racism' to dismiss

secretgoldfish's posts are rambling and not very coherent, but somewhere in there is a message I agree with. Automatically dismissing thoughts and the people who express them as racist does often get in the way of productive discussion.
    CornFlakegrl, Sleuth and sprynkles like this.

Bronze Member

Well at least you've progressed from dismissive urban dictionary abbreviations to dismissive 'cut and paste' internet memes....now i'm excited......we really might work our way towards that conversation!

Bronze Member

That probably has something to do with you being one of the few here willing to see he's just an old coot stuck in his ways with a personal opinion.......rather than seeing all that 'obvious RACISM'.

If john IS racist based on our presumptions, then we better get ready to call 90% of the population of every country/culture racist before they die.....the pompos/snooty ones from evil old empires first, I suggest.

But I did almost disown my grandma recently, she wouldn't come clubbing with me in Bali, not that I wanted to go clubbing in Bali, I just wanted to find out if she was stuck in her ways.... and likely one of those racists..... but it turns out she just hates drunken Aussie's making dicks of themselves in asia.

Thanks for actually writing something though, i'd upvote you but i'm trying to join the club round here, so i'm upvoting the negative posts about me first for my 'winning' strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    secretgoldfish's posts are rambling and not very coherent, but somewhere in there is a message I agree with. Automatically dismissing thoughts and the people who express them as racist does often get in the way of productive discussion.
    i don't disagree with that either but it's nothing new, plus it gets lost amid the rest of the unnecessary crap they're spewing. also, it happens a lot more rarely than people think. i mean, how is what cleese is saying not a load of xenophobic, reactionary old man crap, not to mention a totally revisionist version of british history and colonialism?

you don't get to bitch about migration and your society not being lily white anymore, when your country's prosperity was only possible because of colonialism and the exploitation of humans and resources in the former colonies, or when your former colonialist government hasn't done much to clean up the messes they left in africa/asia/latin america, and when migrants are doing the jobs even poor white people don't want to do. when's the last time you saw unemployed white floridians or californians lining up to pick oranges at 2$ an hour in inhumane conditions, or washing dishes in restaurants for barely minimum wage, or working as a nanny for less than the going market rate?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The problem with Cleese's statement isn't that London has changed and he's pining for how it once was. He's straight-up saying it isn't English. Of course, it is English, unless he is using some different definition of what English is. So naturally, people are questioning him about what he means. And then someone's made a little news piece about it because not enough is going on the world right now, and there was space.

There's ALSO a more 'context-relevant' definition of 'triggered' than the ol' stock standard and easily dismissed/distractive, "throw it in with the right wing nut-jobs" version

"simply being easily led by deliberately emotive clickbait"
    I'd be interested in the source of your quote. I've never seen that definition anywhere.
    HWBL, sputnik and witchcurlgirl like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post

I don't believe he was immediately dismissed as a racist, but the bullshit he was spouting was certainly called out.
    czb, crayzeehappee and mopar like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Fair enough. This thread is not the best example, but I've certainly seen plenty of it, especially on Twitter and other social media.
    Novice likes this.

If anyone is bored enough to want to read something more structured that makes sense:

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/trigger.

The terms triggers/triggered/triggering in actuality.

By my way of thinking, trauma sufferers who actually seek help are not the weak ones.

I'm tired of assholes with superiority complexes misusing this term.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information