Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: John Cleese accused of racism for saying London no longer an English city

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Anyway I guess it's good that Michael Palin was the Python who did all the Around The World in Eighty Days globetrotting rather than Cleese...
    BION, I had a serious crush on him from his Monty Python days...what can I tell you? I was a walking hormone.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    Are you serious?

Please point out one thing I said that is racist.

Are you denying the role that European “culture,” and British culture in particular, played in the destruction of Africa and, for that matter, the indigenous cultures in the US? Denying that black people in particular were culturally seen as non-persons, which justified their poor treatment? And that due to those cultural beliefs, people essentially made up scientific theories about the intelligence (or lack thereof), physical capabilities and pain tolerances of black and indigenous people to justify the treatment of those people?

One of my degrees is in European History, ma’am. There are many things that I like about British and European culture, but there is also a lot of nastiness there. If you’d like to, I’m glad to have a lengthy conversation about the role of the British royal family in the slave trade (they made a significant amount of money off of it) and the Belgian royal family’s role in torture, slavery, and murder in the Congo. I mean, I’m also happy to discuss the role of Arab culture in the slave trade if necessary although that seems irrelevant given the convo we are having.

Frankly, your comment is particularly stupid as I am a black woman from the US. Like many black people here, my DNA includes a significant amount of “white” DNA. Approximately 30% of my DNA is “white”; part of that coming from two of biracial grandparents. My maiden name is Scottish. I come from a country with a long history of racial issues, and those issues negatively affected my family. I don’t hide from discussing issues, including history, just because it makes certain people feel uncomfortable. It’s the truth and if you don’t like it, I don’t know what to tell you.

It’s hilarious how you call out my historically accurate comment as “racist” while remaining silent on the ACTUAL prejudiced comment, which was HIS comment. But ok. You, of all people, calling anyone else racist is laughable
    Really.

I know it's hard to accept change, A*O, and it's tempting to believe you know best and people are "overly sensitive snowflakes," or the world's gone to shit since "your time" (I think this is the problem plaguing Cleese), but everything Niki said is true. Your comment and attitude, whether just "poking the snowflakes" or sarcastic or whatever excuse you use in your head, is thoroughly appalling.

I find a lot of what Nicki says to be both thought-provoking and, at times, uncomfortable. I sometimes don’t agree but then my (familiar) experience is different.

I am finding the whole UK/US “immigrants = evil” to be ignorant and totally discounting more than 2000 years of history (fact not opinion); be that immigration due to socio-economic, persecution or slavery (Roman, Empire, and everything inbetween).

We are stronger, better, healthier and richer for immigration and mixing our genes and cultures.

Londinium was an “English” city as it is built on England, but it’s inhabitants? Nope, never were Mr Cleese.

i take it back
    Last edited by yanna; June 2nd, 2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: I still love John Cleese :(
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Don’t put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    BION, I had a serious crush on him from his Monty Python days...what can I tell you? I was a walking hormone.
    I had a crush on Connie Booth.

Yanna, I missed your original comment but I still love his work too. monty python is still THE reference for all things comedy and his views don’t change my enjoyment of his work either. I don’t do “cancel culture”either, even though it pains me that such a comedic genius is also a reactionary old fart.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Not for the first time Nicki, your perpetual anti white rhetoric seems a bit, er, racist?
    Name one thing she said that is factually or historically incorrect. And opining that history is “anti-white rhetoric” is some Fox News level mental gymnastics.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

Yeah nothing factually or historically incorrect..... or anti white.....just a questionable use of vaguely related and classic, crappy old white imperialism 'no brainer' arguments to distract from and negate the 'opinion' of an old twat preferring what HE knew as a 'norm' to 'the now'.

We could just mumble to ourselves 'old British twat' but lets get angry, triggered and distracted instead......as intended by the original article.....cause clickbait has absolutely zero shame while chasing cents for hits, even if it leads to MORE BS tribalism while playing its readers.

Wonderful world of discussion/and diversity of opinion we're evolving into........Africa is STILL unfortunately being screwed by foreigners.....foreigners of all kinds who strangely tend to always posses the same sense of superiority, entitlement and self righteousness (in taking other people's shit) as those creepy as fuck imperialists from the past (and present)....who had white skin.

It's hard to get angry with John when the telegram declaring the end of British Dominance from a while back failed to reach SOOO many brits.....the same telegram to the US from China is unfortunately being held up by Trump's trade embargoes......the empire after that will be awesome though......we just probably won't be able to talk about it here in any other way than in the 'positive'.....but we will get more cheap stuff for our troubles and loss of personal opinion......we're halfway there already.....strangely by choice!
    Last edited by secretgoldfish; June 4th, 2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by secretgoldfish View Post
    lets get angry, triggered and distracted
    nobody's doing that.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    nobody's doing that.
    did you miss the first and second posts?

czb

yes. but disagreeing doesn't equal angry.

or 'triggered', whatever it is that has come to mean now
    sputnik, czb, MsDark and 4 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

no
    sputnik and Kittylady like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    My obs as of the last few years: It's become an insult used by a particular group to denigrate everyone who disagrees with them/they disagree with. It's become a weapon in the arsenal of a typical narc who's always right and if you can't see why it's because you're obviously psychologically weakened by their superior knowledge, strength and overall badassery. It's certainly not because they could be wrong about something. Narcs are never wrong. You are.

It's not shocking that certain types of people have glommed onto phrases from the psych/self help community (triggered, damaged, safe space, etc) and turned them around to use as insults. It's a pretty easy tell that gives away what kind of person I'm dealing with. Someone who's never going to give an inch.
    Last edited by MsDark; June 4th, 2019 at 11:35 AM.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

but right-wingers don't get triggered or irrational. i mean, it's not like there were thousands of them destroying coffee makers on video because the company didn't like a paedophile. oh wait
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Day 150, 150 shootings...... or am I being too literal?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information