Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Joaquin Phoenix Slams Academy Awards

  1. #16
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    56,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    It sounds to me like he is genuinely uncomfortable thinking that he might win, movies are what they are, not everyone involved needs or wants validation from The Academy in order to be fulfilled by making movies.

    That's fine, but does he really have to shit on the accomplishments of all the greats that have come before him? He's a jackass.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  2. #17
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I'm ready to give the Oscar to Day-Lewis based just on the previews for Lincoln. The movie itself doesn't look that great but man, DDL gave me fucking chills.
    Thanks for mentioning that. I went to check it out. It looks pretty good. I think Lewis is an amazing actor, so I would have gone for it just for that. But it also has James Spader, Joseph Gordon Levitt (as Robert Lincoln - only son to survive to adulthood), Bruce McGill, Tommy Lee Jones, David Straithairn, John Hawkes, Sally Field, and on and on....

  3. #18
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Thanks for mentioning that. I went to check it out. It looks pretty good. I think Lewis is an amazing actor, so I would have gone for it just for that. But it also has James Spader, Joseph Gordon Levitt (as Robert Lincoln - only son to survive to adulthood), Bruce McGill, Tommy Lee Jones, David Straithairn, John Hawkes, Sally Field, and on and on....
    Fun fact 1: Robert Todd Lincoln was an eyewitness to President Garfield's assassination, and was present (although not an eyewitness) at President McKinley's as well. He stopped going to events with presidents after that.

    Fun fact 2: His life was saved by Edwin Booth, brother of John Wilkes Booth, shortly before JWB killed Lincoln



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  4. #19
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    58,494

    Default

    Lincoln is directed by Steven Spielberg. I am skeptical, to say the least.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  5. #20
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Back of Beyond
    Posts
    11,081

    Default

    The Oscars ARE mostly a farce. It's rare that the winners are truly deserving, and not the product of either a massive self-serving PR campaign [coughSandraBullockcough] or political cowardice. [Silence of the Lambs over JFK]
    Callalily and MmeVertigina like this.

  6. #21
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,689

    Default

    IMO Silence of the Lambs is a much better movie than JFK.

    (And more based in fact )



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  7. #22
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Fun fact 1: Robert Todd Lincoln was an eyewitness to President Garfield's assassination, and was present (although not an eyewitness) at President McKinley's as well. He stopped going to events with presidents after that.

    Fun fact 2: His life was saved by Edwin Booth, brother of John Wilkes Booth, shortly before JWB killed Lincoln
    Those are great. Here's another one:

    Fun fact 3: He grew up to look eerily similar to Bruce McGill who plays Edward Stanton in Lincoln:


  8. #23
    Elite Member Kathie_Moffett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    just another freak in the freak kingdom
    Posts
    6,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Fun fact 1: Robert Todd Lincoln was an eyewitness to President Garfield's assassination, and was present (although not an eyewitness) at President McKinley's as well. He stopped going to events with presidents after that.

    Fun fact 2: His life was saved by Edwin Booth, brother of John Wilkes Booth, shortly before JWB killed Lincoln
    He must have been so weirded out, poor guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Thanks for mentioning that. I went to check it out. It looks pretty good. I think Lewis is an amazing actor, so I would have gone for it just for that. But it also has James Spader, Joseph Gordon Levitt (as Robert Lincoln - only son to survive to adulthood), Bruce McGill, Tommy Lee Jones, David Straithairn, John Hawkes, Sally Field, and on and on....
    Wow, ya just talked me into seeing it. DDL does seem like such fascinating casting.

    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    That's fine, but does he really have to shit on the accomplishments of all the greats that have come before him? He's a jackass.
    Ohhhh I see your point there. It IS rude, I agree. I do think his sentiments are genuine and he doesn't seem like your typical fameho actor--how often do we see him when he is not in a high profile role (well, except for that weird business with the Affleck guy--did anyone ever figure that out?)

    George C. Scott was the type who could get away with that much attitude--he was a jerk anyway and didn't care who knew. Still odd somehow that he didn't live to be 90-something. He seemed like a beef jerky sort of person--leathery and tough and lasts forever.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

  9. #24
    Elite Member WhateverLolaWants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13,656

    Default

    Oh for goodness sake, YES, its a self-promoting pageant. Either go or don't go. If you think its a good idea to drum up publicity for a lagging industry, you might want to go, but no one is forcing you to at gun point.

    It drums up interest in the movie industry from bitchy cows like us who love goggling at the dresses and hot people. That's not everyone's cup of tea, but its not like its news
    Last edited by WhateverLolaWants; October 19th, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
    witchcurlgirl and Waterslide like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

  10. #25
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Back of Beyond
    Posts
    11,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    IMO Silence of the Lambs is a much better movie than JFK.

    (And more based in fact )
    Not many FBI trainees are given the latitude Clarice was given.

    And JFK instigated ARRB--Assassination Records Review Board--which found, among many other things, that the JFK autopsy x-rays had been 'tampered with' or were outright fakes, and that the photos of his brain were NOT his brain.

    Now why would the gubmint go and do THAT? They generated these fraudulent records and were the only ones who had access to them.

  11. #26
    mjw
    mjw is offline
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    The Oscars ARE mostly a farce. It's rare that the winners are truly deserving, and not the product of either a massive self-serving PR campaign [coughSandraBullockcough] or political cowardice. [Silence of the Lambs over JFK]
    You think that Oliver Stone shit was better than this?


  12. #27
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,689

    Default

    Conspiracy to kill JFK or not aside, Stone's movie is fictional. Which is fine, because it's just a movie and not a documentary. The only issue is that too many people accept it as actual history and not entertainment. It's the same with movies like Mississippi Burning, Braveheart, etc.
    Waterslide likes this.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  13. #28
    Elite Member WhateverLolaWants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13,656

    Default

    Or Spice World.
    sputnik likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

  14. #29
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,689

    Default

    I wish the bomb had been real.
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  15. #30
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Conspiracy to kill JFK or not aside, Stone's movie is fictional. Which is fine, because it's just a movie and not a documentary. The only issue is that too many people accept it as actual history and not entertainment. It's the same with movies like Mississippi Burning, Braveheart, etc.
    Does anybody know if Spielberg's version of Lincoln movie includes any of his vampire hunting? Or did the Illuminati make him take it out?
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Joaquin Phoenix
    By dowcat in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2010, 10:38 PM
  2. Joaquin Phoenix
    By dowcat in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM
  3. Where's Joaquin Phoenix?
    By Shelly in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
  4. I just saw Joaquin Phoenix!
    By moushi in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: April 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM
  5. Joaquin Phoenix @ Country Music Awards
    By SVZ in forum Photo Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 16th, 2005, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •