Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Like Tree944Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers stops breathing during surgery - rushed to hospital

Joan Rivers being brought out of medically induced coma as family considers lawsuit over botched procedure: sources

The comedian's only child, Melissa Rivers, said in a statement Sunday that she is keeping her 'fingers crossed.' A source tells the Daily News that there is a concern that Joan Rivers' motor skills may be compromised, 'leaving her as either a vegetable or in a wheelchair.' Another source says the family is mulling legal action over the procedure that sent Rivers into cardiac and respiratory arrest: 'They are looking for someone to blame.'

BY ELI ROSENBERG , BILL HUTCHINSON
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Published: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 8:36 PM
    Updated: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 10:50 PM

DAN HALLMAN/INVISION/AP
    Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa River (right) is keeping her 'fingers crossed' that her mom's condition will improve.

Joan Rivers’ daughter is keeping her “fingers crossed” for a miracle to bring the 81-year-old comedic legend back from the brink — even as the family considers legal action over the botched procedure that caused her collapse.
    Doctors began lifting the feisty funny lady from her medically induced coma Sunday at Mount Sinai Hospital as Melissa Rivers, her only child, waited to see how the legendary comic will respond.
    “The waking-up process has begun and will take until Tuesday,” a source close to the family told the Daily News. “There is real concern that the part of the brain that controls motor skills may have been compromised, leaving her as either a vegetable or in a wheelchair.”
    And that has the family considering a lawsuit.
    “Shock and upset is turning to anger, and they are looking for someone to blame,” said a source close to the family, hinting at action against Yorkville Endoscopy, where Rivers had a routine throat procedure on Thursday.
    “The night before, she was performing and now she is on life support,” the source continued. “An 81-year-old should not have that procedure as an outpatient. Very ill advised.”
    For now, Melissa Rivers focused on the coming medical news.
    JEFF BACHNER/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Joan Rivers' best friend, Margie Stern (center), leaves Mount Sinai Hospital after visiting the comedian on Sunday.

“We are keeping our fingers crossed,” she said in a statement Sunday that also thanked admirers of her mother for an outpouring of support.
    She said her mom, who is in serious condition, was “resting comfortably” and asked that “everyone keep her in your thoughts and prayers.”
    Even as she tried to sound upbeat, a source told The News that Rivers is “totally hysterical and is at a loss for what to do (because) they won’t know the extent of the damage until Tuesday at the earliest.”
    Sources have told The News that Rivers would not want to live unless she could enjoy “a full and active life,” as one source put it. “(She) would never want to be a burden on anyone.”
    The host of “Fashion Police” on E! went into cardiac and respiratory arrest Thursday morning while undergoing a procedure on her vocal cords at the private Upper East Side clinic.
    Doctors subsequently put the Emmy-winner in a coma to stabilize her vital signs. As of Sunday, she was breathing with the help of a machine.
    JEFF BACHNER/FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Writer and producer Jay Redack speaks about his work and friendship with Joan Rivers outside Mount Sinai Hospital on Sunday.

Rivers’ friend and collaborator, Jay Redack, visited the stricken comedian on Sunday and said he was stunned by her sudden health setback.
    Redack said he had gone to dinner with her on Wednesday night and that they had discussed the minor throat procedure she was about to undergo.
    He said Rivers, who performed a comic routine Wednesday night at the Laurie Beechman Theater near Times Square, showed no signs of a pending medical crisis.
    “We talked about life, Melissa, boyfriends, tennis lessons, and talked about her act,” said Redack — who co-wrote “Rabbit Test,” the 1978 movie Rivers directed, and has been a close friend for 40 years.
    “You know how polarizing she could be, but people don’t realize what a fantastic lady she is, the charities that she supports, without fanfare, without people knowing,” Redack said. “She is a great person.”
    RELATED STORIESJoan Rivers on life support as daughter keeps 'fingers crossed'
    Joan Rivers on life support: Celebs rally for her recovery
    What testing did Joan Rivers need?
    Melissa Rivers distraught as mom Joan Rivers remains in medically induced coma
    Medically induced coma: an explanation

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post

Thank you for post this Sprynkles

My first crush was Pee-Wee Herman (don't judge ), and have this episode on tape (as well as the rest of his appearances on her show)
    This is how I remember Joan... Brings back happy memories for me

This is his first appearance V

Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

you know what? i think this old broad is gonna live and be even more feisty than she already is. wheelchair or not. and i take offense to the term 'vegetable' to describe brain damage. she was sharp as a tack for 81, which means minimal to medium damage will just turn her into a cute sweet granny.

i never thought of assisted tube breathing just by itself as 'life support'. i mean i know you can't live if you aren't breathing, but i always associated it more like, having brain damage that stops you from breathing, kidney function, digestion, being conscious... the whole shabang.
    crash man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    After my Mother had her last stroke, we made the decision to stop all treatment and remove her feeding tube. The doctors and the hospice care workers told us that she would survive about 2 days. She lived 3 more weeks. They were the longest weeks of our lives. I would not wish that hell on anyone.
    My dad went the same way in two weeks after a second massive stroke. Then my ma stopped her own treatment for pancreatic cancer a couple of years later but hired the best palliative team to essentially increase painkillers, keep her comfy etc. The hardest day was the day the head nurse said we need to stop bringing her cups of tea as the sedation began and no more nutrition. This was all at home. I turned her room into a candlelit zen den. She was buddhist. She died 3 days later on a Friday at 930am. There was the nurse, my sister and me, two of our best friends and mum's best friend. We circled her bed, holding hands and it was the most beautiful disaster I've ever seen. I know she'd have loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by crash man View Post
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.......
    Please stop. And 'rallying around' means supporting, not starting a revo-fucking-lution.

These latest n00bs SUCK!!!
    [On Terry Richardson] "Dude is like a human version of a white, windowless van...." ~ Michael K.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stereo Inferno View Post

Please stop. And 'rallying around' means supporting, not starting a revo-fucking-lution.

These latest n00bs SUCK!!!
    I let Joan translate your gibberish.

Why is there so much fighting in this thread, it takes away the fun of this site

Bronze Member

Here's the latest. I'm gonna speculate here, just this once. Joan's gonna wake up! Joan Rivers Being Brought Out of Coma

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/joan-river...155800454.html

What the fuck is going on here recently? Between this and the Beyonce thread it feels like a swarm of flies has descended on GR.
    Brookie, sluce, PecanPie and 8 others like this.

Gold Member

Hope Ms. Joan makes a full recovery.
    crash man likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I wish the very best for Joan. I've always liked her and hope that she pulls through.
    crash man likes this.

Joan Rivers Remains on Life Support, Says Daughter Melissa

Joan Rivers continues to fight for her life.

On Tuesday, the comedian's daughter, Melissa Rivers, spoke out amid the widespread speculation over Joan's medical status. The bottom line? Her 81-year-old mother, who has been in a medically induced coma since Thursday, is not out of the woods yet.

"On behalf of my mother and our family, we are extremely grateful for all the love and support we've received. At this time she does remain on life support," the 46-year-old said in a statement obtained by The Insider With Yahoo.

Conflicting reports have been spreading about Joan's state since she was hospitalized last week after suffering cardiac arrest during a routine, outpatient throat surgery. On Saturday, TMZ reported that Joan was life support and "completely reliant" on machines to stay alive. By Monday, there were several reports that she was slowly being brought out of her coma. Then, on Tuesday morning, E! News, which is the network on which Joan's show Fashion Police airs, reported that a source close to the situation said she was miraculously "on the road to recovery… She's getting better. Don't believe all this ridiculous speculation."

Melissa didn't confirm whether or not Joan was being brought out of the coma. However, that is a natural next step for a patient in her position. That would then be followed by extensive testing by doctors to see if she suffered brain trauma during the period in which she stopped breathing.
    https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...175613941.html
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Joan has been moved from ICU to a private room. It sounds like this may be the end. It's such a hard time for all families who experience this. They moved my father to a private room once we decided to disconnect the life support. That allowed us time as a family to be with him, without all the equipment and noises of an ICU.

Joan Rivers Moved From ICU to Private Room
    By Suzy Byrne17 minutes agoYahoo Celebrity

Joan Rivers is resting comfortably.

Melissa Rivers announced on Wednesday that her ailing mother has been transferred from the ICU at Manhattan's Mount Sinai Hospital to a private room.

"My mother has been moved out of intensive care and into a private room where she is being kept comfortable," the 46-year-old said in a statement. "Thank you for your continued support."

This update follows Melissa's statement on Tuesday when she clarified that, despite online speculation, her 81-year-old mother remained on life support.

The Fashion Police host stopped breathing last Thursday while having a routine throat surgery at a New York City clinic. She was rushed to the hospital, where she was placed into a medically induced coma. Melissa, who is her only child, immediately flew in from the West Coast and has been keeping vigil by her bedside.

Earlier this week, E! announced Fashion Police would be on a two-week hiatus while Joan's condition is determined. Fans of the famed comedian have been flooding social media with well wishes for a full recovery.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Sad. I was hoping my suspicions were wrong.
    sluce likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Joan has been moved from ICU to a private room. It sounds like this may be the end. It's such a hard time for all families who experience this. They moved my father to a private room once we decided to disconnect the life support. That allowed us time as a family to be with him, without all the equipment and noises of an ICU.

Joan Rivers Moved From ICU to Private Room
    By Suzy Byrne17 minutes agoYahoo Celebrity

Joan Rivers is resting comfortably.

Melissa Rivers announced on Wednesday that her ailing mother has been transferred from the ICU at Manhattan's Mount Sinai Hospital to a private room.

"My mother has been moved out of intensive care and into a private room where she is being kept comfortable," the 46-year-old said in a statement. "Thank you for your continued support."

This update follows Melissa's statement on Tuesday when she clarified that, despite online speculation, her 81-year-old mother remained on life support.

The Fashion Police host stopped breathing last Thursday while having a routine throat surgery at a New York City clinic. She was rushed to the hospital, where she was placed into a medically induced coma. Melissa, who is her only child, immediately flew in from the West Coast and has been keeping vigil by her bedside.

Earlier this week, E! announced Fashion Police would be on a two-week hiatus while Joan's condition is determined. Fans of the famed comedian have been flooding social media with well wishes for a full recovery.
    So sad. We went through this with my dad too. It is agonizing. I can't imagine how horrible this must be for them thinking she was going in for a simple endoscopy and having it end up in cardiac arrest and life support.

I know 81 is a nice age to live to and all but I just wasn't ready for her to not be here.
    Lalasnake and nana51 like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information