Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree944Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers stops breathing during surgery - rushed to hospital

Dammit all to HELL. I will miss the shit out of Joan Rivers. I've "known" her my entire life and I feel like we have lost a true female icon in comedy. She and Phyllis Diller (her mentor) can never, ever be replaced, and even Kathy Griffith (Joan was her mentor) would tell you that.

Funny, acidic, outrageous, filthy-mouthed, irreverent, vicious, hilarious and wonderful. I know I'm going to miss the shit out of her because there is only one Joan Rivers, and the world of comedy will never be the same again.

Joan, I raise my (albeit cheap) glass of wine to you, and I hope my mother ferrets you out because right now, she's probably the happiest person in...well, wherever y'all both are. Kiss her for me and give Robin a hug for me, while you're at it. You. Are. Very. Much. Missed.

Godspeed.

Sylkyn, that was perfect.
    lindsaywhit and Sylkyn like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

She was a funny lady. No one is perfect. She had her opinions, cant say I agreed with all of them, but I liked her. May she RIP.
    *DIVA! and ConstanceSpry like this.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmpk4757 View Post
    I always admired the way she picked herself up after her husband killed himself. What a bitch of a time, husband dead, up to her ass in debt, and not having the best relationship with her daughter at the time. Joan carried on and got her shit together. I may not have agreed with everything she said, and thought that she could be quite mean at times, I loved that she never apologized for what she thought or said. In this PC age that's pretty rare. I read that they let her dogs into the hospital to say goodbye to her as well, which is pretty cool.
    Okay, this just really got to me. Very touching.

I admit I'd never understood how people can feel emotionally sad themselves when a celebrity dies, and now I find myself surprisingly really sad about Joan Rivers dying like this. I think it's partly because of the unexpected way she died, when she was so healthy and active even the night before, and partly because my grandma, whose love and humor pretty much got me through my childhood, really liked Joan. I guess I won't wonder at that feeling in others anymore. (I'm glad I joined this site so that I could vent about this.)
    sputnik, *DIVA!, Beeyotch and 1 others like this.

This is sad. I knew it wasn't going to end well when I heard she was in the hospital. I didn't really care for her comedy but I have to give her respect for not giving a shit about what others thought about her or and for what she's done for female comediennes.
    *DIVA! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    What she said wasn't half as nasty as Joan's recent comments..
    We all have people we love that say things we do not like. You don't stop loving them or wish them harm!! You put your big burl panties on and keep it moving!! This fact one would find it easy to say rude things at her death shows what kind of person they really are!!! Say nothing, ignore the thread, or sign off the site!!!
    sluce, Sylkyn, Mel1973 and 1 others like this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

You put your big burl panties on
    My what???
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

RIP Joan. You were fearless and funny and didn't give a shit. My kinda gal.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Gold Member

Rip Joan

Bumped into this great interview with Joan Rivers today dated June 2014, the interviewer pissed Joan off. She got into a hissy, took off her microphone, and walked off the set. Good stuff.

Heidi Ho and ADel like this.

I'm sobbing. Melissa will treasure this footage. And as usual, Joan leaves us laughing.

Icepik, Remax, yoyoma and 11 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Bronze Member

^Poor Melissa. I saw their reality show a couple of times maybe last year or the year before, and I thought it was good. Joan was very funny (to me, she's funnier being herself [in slightly scripted situations] than while doing stand-up), and both she and Melissa were very likable. And, as I've already mentioned, Joan's relationship with her grandson was easy-going and loving. She took him rock climbing, they raced cars, watched turtles and seemed really close. They were very sweet together. I also remember her being gracious to the various people who filmed with them.
    Last edited by Remax; September 5th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

she was incorrigible.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

"incorrigible"

I like that. She absolutely was.

We watch Fashion Police every Friday night, we saw it last Friday. Can't believe she's gone. Who now will be so 'incorrigible'? I think she has no replacement.

But her best moments were with Johnny Carson on the Tonight show. They'd both get into such a case of giggles even the camera man couldn't hold still. They were like little kids.

We'll see what they do on Fashion Police tomorrow night. It may be the last episode. The show has no future without Joan.
    Remax likes this.

That Fallon interview was hysterical. I love it that she went on Tonight again. Like having the last word, and she deserved it. And cracking up Russell Crowe...somehow I think that can't actually be easy??

I've loved Joan Rivers since I was a little kid in the 70s, watching her on Hollywood Squares and laughing my ass off. The "ewww" face! I used to imitate it!

Peter Marshall: "Your baby has a certain object he loves to cling to. Should you try to break him of the habit?"
    Joan: "Yes, it's Daddy's turn!"

The shit she got away with.

I have so much admiration for how she revitalized her career over and over through the decades, while always remaining absolutely true to her own smart, irreverent, hopelessly endearing self. She was a brilliant survivor who meant something memorable and unique to every generation she entertained. I kinda thought she'd go on forever...

The only issue I ever had with her in recent years was simply that--and no snark here--I found it hard to recognize her anymore when she wasn't talking with that distinctive voice. Can't help it, I remember her as she was. So I wanted to put a few pics from the old days here, just out of fondness, and for all the great memories. It's funny to imagine her stomping up to a bemused Supreme Being and demanding "can we talk?!??" She will get that interview and there will be plenty of dishing, no doubt about it.

Sylkyn, gas_chick and Remax like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thread Information