Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Like Tree944Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers stops breathing during surgery - rushed to hospital

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post

I hope when karma comes and bites you in the ass that feeling saying this have you stings!!

What she said wasn't half as nasty as Joan's recent comments..

But I feel bad for Melissa to lose her mum I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    BeantownBitch likes this.

Awww. Thanks for all the quotes. I know I said I didn't care for her, but that's not true. The Joan in those quotes I enjoyed very much. The red carpet stuff not so much. But she really had a great sense of humor.

Sluce, your story about her and your brother was charming and thank you for sharing that. I enjoyed reading it and knowing a little tidbit about what she was like when she wasn't "on".
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I knew her slightly years ago, during possibly the best and worst time of her life - the FOX late night gig, getting fired from the show, and Edgar's suicide. The highs and lows of life can illuminate the true character of that person, and Joan Rivers was never anything less than kind and gracious. As I said, it was a brief acquaintance during that turbulent period in her life. Almost ten years later, I happened to be in LA at same time she was performing in a private club, and my husband and I caught the show. She was hilarious, especially after a few drinks, but during intermission she shocked us by not only recognizing us, but remembering our names and even a few details about us; I have extended family whose kids I can't tell apart, much less matching name to adolescent twit. She was an amazing women, and my heart goes out to her family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    What she said wasn't half as nasty as Joan's recent comments..
    It is quite sad to me that her Palestine comments turned out to be her professional curtain closer.
    ana-mish-ana and lulu09 like this.

I very rarely "feel" anything about a celebrity death, but my stomach dropped when I heard Joan died. On the bright side, she was sharp as a tack right to the end.
    Remax likes this.

This is a sad day for the entertainment world. I wasn't a huge fan of her humor but I can definitely appreciate what she did for the industry.

Movers and shakers like her will always have haters. Isn't there a saying that if you don't have haters, you're doing something wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

This is going to be so hard on her daughter. Most of us have walked that lonesome path and it hurts.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

All babies look like Renée Zellweger pushed against a glass window.
    Having had to look at a relative's newborn today, so true!!
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Just so damn bummed. She said stuff that could make you laugh, cry or just get pissed at her. That was her magic. Opened so many doors for so many women. I won't even bother saying RIP because I know Joan will still be bitching about something!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    R.I.P. Joan...

I remember when I was a little girl in the 60s/70s. The women on TV were so bland and non-threatening--except for this smart, acerbic, witty 'piece of work.' My mom was a really kind person and lived by 'if you can't say something nice about somebody, don't say anything at all.' But when Joan came on TV my mom would drop whatever she was doing and sit and laugh her ass off. Joan was like a one-woman victory parade for every smart, funny woman out there who had ever been told to keep her mouth shut. And she told it like it was.

I loved that documentary "Joan Rivers: Piece of Work" from a few years ago. It brought home to me how important a figure she was and fought to continue being. I have chosen to forget about her Fashion Police persona and celebrate the hard-working, smart-mouthed broad who could sit at the boys table and make everybody laugh.

My heart goes out to Melissa. For better or worse, their lives were so intertwined that this must be devastating.
    Thanks for posting the jokes too. That is some funny stuff. Great joke set up, great punch lines.

I grew up with Joan on tv. I was 5,6,7 years old watching Joan and Totie Fields (she was hilarious) with my grandmother. On Ed Sullivan, Tonight Show, The Hollywood Palace, Dean Martin Show. We howled and it's a great memory of mine. I always watched her stand up shows and was sorry I missed her a couple of years ago with Don Rickles. They were never my contemporaries but I love a good joke and delivery. She stayed in tune and stayed fresh. And ya know, I'm an only daughter, they might as well just take me along with mom when that time comes. Can't even think about Melissa now, too much.

HAHAHAHA: 72) No-one says this, but the vagina drops. I looked down a few years ago and thought, "Why am I wearing a bunny slipper?"

RIP Joan
    Sylkyn likes this.

R.I.P. Joan Rivers. So vibrant one day, gone pretty much the next. Insane. What's even more insane is that Zsa Zsa is STILL breathing on her own. Explain that one.
    Wilson likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^^ Oh shoot, I completely forgot about ZsaZsa!! Who would have ever thought she'd outlive Joan?!
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

And Cindy Adams. These women were never snowflakes, that's for sure.

Cindy Adams' column, Sept. 1, 2014

You can’t find a better lady than Joan Rivers

By Cindy Adams

September 1, 2014 | 10:38pm

Wednesday, as I left for Labor Day weekend, came Joan Rivers’ e-mail: “Cindalla: don’t forget dinner together Friday the 5th. I love you. I love having dinner alone with you. If you decide to bring anyone along, see if they’re a big eater, as I know it will be on my tab! . . . If you want to bring along somebody else, fine . . . Besides, you dumb bitch, I know all your stories! . . .”

Until the Divine Consciousness, which exists Out There, speaks to my longtime forever close friend, I’ll speak about her.

We recently did London. Just us. Five days. Her E-TV “Fashion Police” being a hit there, fans circled her. She took time to chat, sign, allow selfies even when “This light’s bad so move down the block a little.”

She moved down the block and from her purse handed out a scarf or bijoux that came with a “Joan Rivers” sticker. She’d offer to pose even when someone appeared too shy to ask.

Joan disappointed nobody. She distributed abundant cash tips. At six stage shows, she told the theater usher or box office she’d go backstage afterward.

Nine a.m., flying trans-Atlantic in early hours, she wore a coat with jet beads, multicolor jewelled necklace, long coat-length feathered boa, bracelets on both wrists.

Last year was our Colonial Williamsburg girls weekend. Every 9 a.m., a prebooked local hairdresser came to the hotel to comb her. No stepping out without full makeup, full furs . . . We’re talking Williamsburg, Va.!

In public life, brassy, unclassy, light on couth. In private life, elegant home, antiques, Tiffany dinner service.

Holidays whomever lacked an invitation was welcomed at her table. Her own thank yous were a delivery of her favorite scented gardenias.

She’d make a red-eye from LA just to spend two days with her beloved dogs. Mention Spike, whose last Yorkie days were lying on a furcoat at the fireplace, and her eyes well up.

She read. Did crosswords. Took grandson Cooper on European trips. Gathered us to her rented Puerto Vallarta hacienda each Christmas. Spoke about she and I buying contiguous hotel apartments so we could look out for one another.

For every appearance, she’d prepare. At one-nighter club dates, papers with reminder jokes were spread on the floor. She’d stay up a whole night before a TV appearance prepping, plus suggesting questions they should ask to elicit the lines. Joan never disappointed.

May Life not disappoint her now.

Survival hasn’t come easy for Joan:

Her parents contemplated putting her away. She ran off as a child because even then she craved being in show business. Her husband’s death left her with financial debt. An original partner in her QVC jewelry line ended with lawsuits and buyouts. Years back Johnny Carson’s would she/wouldn’t she get his promised show is history.

Last year Joan lost her sister. Thankfully daughter Melissa, devoted assistant Jocelyn, Graham who runs her office, best friend Scott and family surround her now. She’s a tough dame. She’s beat all the other odds.

We’re praying for you, Joan.
    sputnik, Remax, politesse and 10 others like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information