Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree944Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers stops breathing during surgery - rushed to hospital

^^Wow, before you guys clarified this, i would have thought it's great news and she is recovering and doing well enough to be moved out of ICU.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I got excited when I first saw the headline that she had been taken out of ICU. Then I read Melissa's comment about they are keeping her comfortable and a private room, and all the sad memories came rushing back of the final week of my father's life. It was such a sense of helplessness, sadness and guilt that you felt like maybe there was something more you could be doing to save them, and overall exhaustion that you don't realize it there because your numb and running on adrenalin. Most of all, when I look back and I amazed by the nurses and doctors who were so great and supportive. They see this every day but still showed the same compassion and made us feel like we were most important to them It really takes special people to fill those jobs.
    BITTER, tulip, Lalasnake and 1 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Dunno - now that I'm 61 and 81 is a mere 20 years away, it doesn't seem long at all (anymore). And what's life going to be like at 81? You just make the most of every damn day, week, month and year that you have.

I remember my mom remarking that my Aunt Grace lived until 82 and that was a long life - until SHE got to 82 and remembered what she'd said. She died at 89.

It does sound like they're going to just get complete with all this before they let her go. Sad.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

This sucks.

My mom was 81 when she died too..just a few weeks shy of 82. It was also fairly sudden (6 weeks from cancer diagnosis to death) and I was on my own like Melissa. So I have a lot coming back to me now too.
    sluce, Brookie, Liza and 1 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

This is what happened to my paternal grandmother - she had a stroke and HA at the same time and could no longer breathe on her own. We didn't get along, but my dad was devastated and at the time he and his seven brothers and sisters (only two left now) had to decide to take her off of life support. It's not an easy decision.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

I went to my 95 year old aunt's funeral today. She was alert and knew what was happening to her up until the end. She died of heart failure, but she had been sent home to die about 3 months ago. She held on and fought, but last week she started begging her kids to, "Let her go home." Her children kept telling her that she was home and she kept saying, "No, not this home. I want to go to my other home with my family. Let me go." I don't know which is worse, to know that you're nearing the end of your life, or being totally out of it like my Mom was before she passed away.
    sluce and tulip like this.

My mom was totally lucid as well. She had lung cancer (50 years of smoking, folks!), and there was not a damn thing wrong with her mind. After I told her she was dying (she asked; we had her on a ventilator at the hospital after an episode at home and they took her off when she started breathing on her own), she lived for another two weeks on home hospice care, and was the most pleasant person in the universe. Started giving stuff away to people, stopped picking on her caregivers and was just ready to own it and let go. She never wanted any treatment for the cancer in the first place; we kept trying to keep her around with healthy food, vitamins, a physical therapist. We stopped all that after hospice came aboard - she ate ice cream for dinner, did whatever she wanted and ruled her universe until the last. (Yeah, I miss my mom a lot.) Being ready to let someone go and having them go are two different things.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

i still can't believe this. she's so dynamic and full of life and sharp as a tack and just a dynamo. wasn't sick, nothing was wrong and then bam, this happens, and during a routine intervention. i find the whole thing shocking. i was looking forward to years to come of inappropriateness, irreverence, political incorrectness, rudeness and general i-don't-give-a-fuck-ness. even when i didn't agree with her, i got a kick out of this old coot.
    czb, Mrs P, gas_chick and 15 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Just wows!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Here's another report that is more positive if the source is valid.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/family-sou...174400560.html
    Family Source: Joan Rivers Shows Signs of Brain Function
    ET Online By Antoinette Bueno and David Caplan 4 hours ago

The latest on Joan Rivers' condition.

Joan Rivers has been moved out of intensive care.

A family source exclusively tells ET that doctors are continuing to bring the comedienne out of her medically induced coma very slowly but that it's still very much a waiting game. But there is some good news.

"Preliminary tests appear to rule out brain dead," the source says. "There seems to be some function."

This comes just after Melissa Rivers confirmed that her mother has been moved out of intensive care and into a private room. In a statement Wednesday morning, Melissa said: My mother has been moved out of intensive care and into a private room where she is being kept comfortable. Thank you for your continued support."

On Sunday, doctors started the process of bringing Joan out of a medically induced coma.

She remains on life support.

Melissa, 46, is staying positive throughout Joan's medical emergency ET learned Tuesday.

"There is only one outlook Melissa is looking at now -- She's like, 'When my mother wakes up…,' 'When my mother see this and that …' There is only one trajectory she sees this going in the direction of, which is positive," a family source told ET. "She refuses to acknowledge any other outcome than Joan coming out of this.”

"I know my mother would be overwhelmed by the continued outpouring of kindness and I want to thank everyone for keeping us in their prayers," Melissa said Tuesday.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

This saddened me. It doesn't seem right, she was so sharp and in your face, the kind of lady who'd go on forever until she was ready to go.

What bothers me is that a) this didn't sound like some kind of risky, invasive surgery, and b) I'm not aware of her having some kind of pre-existing condition that could have led to complications while under sedation. We had a girl out here go into cardiac arrest while having her wisdom teeth extracted. In the stories related to events like this, it seems like what happens is that at some point, the patient does not seem fully sedated, so additional anesthesia is given, and then the patient becomes hypoxic or goes into cardiac arrest. Examples:

Woodstock: Parents of teen who died after wisdom tooth surgery complications suing for medical malpractice - baltimoresun.com

California man, 24, dies after going into cardiac arrest while having wisdom teeth pulled - NY Daily News

Hawaii mother in coma following surgery on wisdom teeth - NY Daily News

i just think that if she's 81, no doctor should have let her have anything done as an outpatient procedure.
    McJag, sprynkles, sluce and 7 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Here's another report that is more positive if the source is valid.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/family-sou...174400560.html
    Family Source: Joan Rivers Shows Signs of Brain Function
    ET Online By Antoinette Bueno and David Caplan 4 hours ago

"There seems to be some function."
    Oooph. That doesn't sound great either.

I thought the same as you guys when I read that they are "keeping her comfortable". While it's true, it's also kind of a euphemism for "waiting for nature to take it's course while keeping the pain away. "

I hope that's not the case. I'm not a huge Joan fan, though I think she's done amazing things in her life and kicked down a lot of doors for female comics that came after her. It'd just be a plain old crappy way to go, and I REALLY don't care for Melissa but feel deeply for her right now.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information