Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jessica Seinfeld sued for plagiarism

Ew! Looks like Jerry's shallowness and superficial relationships with women wasn't just part of the show. What an idiot. It would have been cheaper for him to just hire hoes on a need-basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixiebelle View Post
    When I first read about this I thought no way could she have ripped off the idea when the books came out within a few months of each other. Then I heard that the woman had submitted a manuscript to the same publisher (which was rejected) prior to Seinfeld's book...so hmmm I guess it's possible.
    Exactly. If she had simply heard about the book and wrote her own, even in some cases stealing recipes, it would've been harder to sue. But the fact that Jessica's publisher had the very same book in front of them and rejected it then gave it to Jessica is a BIG problem. My guess is they though Jessica would sell more books. they were right, of course, but that doesn't mean what they did was right or okay. They stole her book idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Nooooo! Spill, spill! We'll never tell!! Besides, you can't be held responsible for what your, um, niece wrote using your account. *cough*
    Ha ha. No it's nothing like that. It's only that I'm Jewish and I have such disdain for jewish american princesses and princes. I grew up with them and then made the big escape to the island of Manhattan where the whining gets drowned out.

You know, it's not like she's even pretty, either. Let's see....no integrity, lack of concern for others, not attractive....what's her appeal to some uber-rich guy like Jerry who could have just about anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    You know, it's not like she's even pretty, either. Let's see....no integrity, lack of concern for others, not attractive....what's her appeal to some uber-rich guy like Jerry who could have just about anyone?
    Have you ever seen pictures of Jerry's former jailbait girlfriend, Shoshanna? I think Jessica's an ugly (and flatter chested) version of her.

I mean, this was a 40 something year old guy whose only previous dating experience was with a girl he started seeing when she was 17. I'd say he has some issues himself.

No big surprise here. You can't copyright an idea, and you can't copyright a recipe, either. So even if the concept were stolen, no one could do anything about it. I think the judge's comments on what the books look like is a little weird, since the authors have probably little to no control over that. The copyright in the author's name covers the book's intellectual content, not its design.

Judge: Seinfeld book doesn't violate trademark - Yahoo! News

By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer Larry Neumeister, Associated Press Writer Fri Sep 11, 6:18 am ET

NEW YORK – A federal judge Thursday tossed out a cookbook author's claim that comedian Jerry Seinfeld's wife was a culinary copycat when she came out with her own book explaining how to entice children to eat vegetables.

U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain threw out the lawsuit brought against the Seinfeld couple by Missy Chase Lapine.

The judge rejected Lapine's claims against Jessica Seinfeld, saying that the books, both best sellers, were not similar except for their goal of hiding healthy food inside the favorite meals of children.

She called Lapine's book "a dry, rather text-heavy work" done predominantly in black, gray and shades of brownish-orange. She said Seinfeld's book was "bright and cheerful, full of different colors and various patterns." Consumers who looked at each book were unlikely to be confused, the judge said, tossing out trademark infringement claims.

However, the judge declined to rule on Lapine's claim that Jerry Seinfeld libeled her on David Letterman's show last year when he noted her three names and joked that people with three names — including James Earl Ray and Mark David Chapman — have turned out to be assassins.

She said those claims did not belong in federal court but should instead be filed in state court, where Lapine's lawyer, Howard Miller, said he planned to bring them.

"They are still very much alive," he said of the slander claims, along with claims against News Corp.'s HarperCollins that the publisher misappropriated information from Lapine's book when it rejected her proposal in February and May 2006. Miller said the decision hasn't been made on whether to appeal Swain's rejection of all claims against Jessica Seinfeld.

Lapine's book, titled: "The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals," was published in April 2007 by Running Press, an imprint of Perseus Books Group. Seinfeld's cookbook, titled: "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food," was published in October 2007 by Collins, an imprint of HarperCollins.

Orin Snyder, a lawyer for the Seinfelds, called the ruling an "unequivocal victory" against "opportunistic and meritless claims" against Jessica Seinfeld.

"This confirms what we've been saying all along, that this is a trumped up claim," he said.

"Jessica did not copy anything from anyone and created her best-selling cookbook in her own kitchen from her own experiences," he said.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Hit By Ban Bus!

I recoil in disgust any time I hear about these two tools.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Maybe you technically can't plagiarize recipes, but that doesn't mean their idea can't be stolen.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    Maybe you technically can't plagiarize recipes, but that doesn't mean their idea can't be stolen.
    There isn't much new in the food world anymore - everything is a variation of stuff already done. As for this particular case, hiding healthy foods in recipes for kids has been around forever. Neither of these women can lay claim to the idea.

Yes, the U.S. law is actually that there is no copyright on ideas, only on the expression of ideas. (Meaning copyright is different, obviously, from patents and trademarks and the like.)
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Bronze Member

Nederlander's 2nd marriage is over, and there was talk about restraining orders.

So there may have been a good reason for Jessica to divorce him so quickly.

The author that sued Jessica Seinfeld currently has her own little "show" on Dish network, sponsored by Country Crock...

I read about it before and saw the pictures. Blatant is the only word for it once you see the two books side by side. It's like they didn't even bother to hide that they were ripping this woman off. They knew they could crush her like a bug.
    Last edited by Miss A; September 17th, 2009 at 01:52 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information