Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Jessica Alba: I want a brown baby

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    don't you learn spanish in high school? the american school system is kinda confusing, that's why i ask.
    It depends on the school district. Some require students to learn Spanish, a lot don't. There is no uniform standard for learning foreign languages in high school.

At my high school, for example, learning a foreign language was elective, and the choices were Spanish, French or German. At my university, it was required to take a few semesters of a foreign language, but they did not specify the language. They offered a wide variety of foreign languages to choose from.

But I would say most people in the US don't know how to speak Spanish, even if they took a few semesters in high school. There are a lot of people who are mad about Spanish being an option on telephone help lines and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    About the Mexicans, if you read it right, it's pretty much what I said. I've always seen Latino as a RACE (even though it's not) in applications and statistics in the States, and it usually refers to the Mexican mestizos or Spanish-origin caribbean mixtures. Spaniards are not Latinos, they're purely caucasian.

Lima is not a Latina. She'd fall under the category of mullato in Brazilian statistics.

When you talk about Lima, Diaz and Aguilera, I see you're speaking only by outer appearence, not ascendancy. Contrary to Giselle BŁndchen, who has has the typical Southern Brazilian mixture, German and Italian; Latin American, but not Latina, even though she's a Latin American immigrant in the US.
    The first paragraph was discussing how the US government classifies immigrants. A white Spanish immigrant is classified as Latino. The US government does not consider Latino to be a race, so they then ask "what is your race" after classifying someone as Latino. Most Latinos, if they are not black, are wrongly classified as white Hispanic (which is a separate category from non-Hispanic white) by the US government, unless they otherwise indicate their race. An immigrant from Brazil is considered Latino, but not Hispanic, even if they are of German or Italian origin, like most Brazilian models.

We don't really have a "mulatto" (is that a pc term?) category. There was not as much race mixing between the African slaves and European settlers in the US as there was in Brazil. Mixed race people are mostly considered black, although that may be changing. I think the US government finally let people classify themselves as multiple races on the 2000 US Census.

I've heard that Mexicans are offended when they are referred to as Hispanic. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Did she have her lips thinned???

She went from Jay-Z, in Dark Angel http://benimblog.com/uploads/bugra03..._Picture_2.jpg

, to pouty http://www.celebritywonder.com/mp/20...c_four_003.jpg.

Check out the blonde hair and blue eyes! Even her skin tone appears lighter.
    Her lips looked like the wax ones we used to get in the candy store.

She wants a brown baby so they can bleach and get surgery together.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    She went from Jay-Z, in Dark Angel http://benimblog.com/uploads/bugra03..._Picture_2.jpg

, to pouty http://www.celebritywonder.com/mp/20...c_four_003.jpg.

Check out the blonde hair and blue eyes! Even her skin tone appears lighter.
    Her lips looked like the wax ones we used to get in the candy store.

She wants a brown baby so they can bleach and get surgery together.
    Whoa, I never noticed that. It definitely looks like she's got some self-hating going on.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    It depends on the school district. Some require students to learn Spanish, a lot don't. There is no uniform standard for learning foreign languages in high school.

At my high school, for example, learning a foreign language was elective, and the choices were Spanish, French or German. At my university, it was required to take a few semesters of a foreign language, but they did not specify the language. They offered a wide variety of foreign languages to choose from.

But I would say most people in the US don't know how to speak Spanish, even if they took a few semesters in high school. There are a lot of people who are mad about Spanish being an option on telephone help lines and such.
    thanks for the information purple rain.

Elite Member

She probably wants a brown baby because it's trendy right now. Madonna's got one, Angelina's got several...

Oh please, she already bought the peroxide.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    STFU, Jessica. You don't even look Hispanic. If you ever did, you got all Hollywooded up so you look like a regular white girl now.
    How does Hispanic look like?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Besides, she ain't no Adriana Lima. Now she's Latina!!!

And why...? Because of how she looks?

No, Mexicans are mostly a mixture of Spanish and indian. Latinos are anybody who has immigrated to the US from Latin America and Spain (and their descendents.) It is not a racial term, but a term to define an immigration pattern. Most Latinos in the US are Mexican, and thus mestizos, but there are also people of every race and racial mixture classified under that term.

I think the public probably considers Lima to be a Latino as well. She doesn't look white or black, and looks exotic. That, or a brown person, is how the US public seems to identify a Latino. It's why people like Cameron Diaz and Christina Aguilera are considered white by many and not Latino (or Christina Milian and Zoe Saldana aren't considered Latino, only black by a lot of people).

Yeah, her fiance is 1/2 black, so her baby could look black, too. And somehow I can't see her being too happy if that happened. I think she's just trying to placate the Latino community with her statements.
    Thank you. For example, if someone has brown skin and black wavy hair with full lips, than people say 'oh hai you're latino!!'

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Jessica, perhaps you should consider not lightening your hair so you're not confused for one of "us"!!
    Its just hair color...

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    No I think she did distance herself and it backfired. Now she's embracing her heritage.

The blue contacts she wore in fantastic Four...EI YI YI!
    Sue Storm has blue eyes, hence why she wore blue contacts and blonde hair in the film.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Thank you. For example, if someone has brown skin and black wavy hair with full lips, than people say 'oh hai you're latino!!'

Sue Storm has blue eyes, hence why she wore blue contacts and blonde hair in the film.
    Well, most of the Hispanic people I come across fit that description/appearance. I can usually tell a Hispanic person from white and black Americans.

Jessica looked really bad with the blue eye contacts and bleached hair. They should have either hired a white actress or let the character's appearance be different from the comic books.

Jessica looked really bad with the blue eye contacts and bleached hair. They should have either hired a white actress or let the character's appearance be different from the comic books.
    What, and pass up on a great actress like Jessica?

Jessica Alba is hot, her name and image will attract tons of extra fanboys who like comic book movies (or fanboys in general) so...

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    I've heard that Mexicans are offended when they are referred to as Hispanic. Is this true?
    My husband said "hispanic" to one of our workers and he didn't get mad per se, but promptly corrected my husband and said "we're Mexican." We always thought Mexican was kind of a put down or un-PC, but apparently not to some.

I would be interested to hear from someone else who knows about this personally though, cause I've always wondered about it since it happened, but have been too chicken shit to actually ask someone.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

^^ Same here. It can be hard for me to tell what someone's heritage is, and I don't want to be offensive.
    My oldest son's father was 1/2 Mexican and 1/2 Spanish, but since I never got to meet the family I wasn't able to ask them what was proper.

see, in my part of the world brown means south asian.. India, Pakistan, etc
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information