Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer :(

My Dad lived to be 93 and he was in good physical and mental condition up until about 3 months before he died. A minor stroke turned into a series of them in rapid succession.
    HWBL, Novice and lindsaywhit like this.

^So sorry to hear that. But yeah: once they're up there in age, weird things can happen and usually when it starts it just continues downhill from there.
    crayzeehappee likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/us/al...rnd/index.html

(CNN)After months of battling pancreatic cancer, Alex Trebek is hinting that his long tenure as host of "Jeopardy!" may be nearing an end.

Trebek told CTV he has begun to get sores inside his mouth from the chemotherapy, which makes it difficult to enunciate. He sometimes hears himself slurring his words on the quiz show, he said.

"I will keep doing it (the show) as long as my skills do not diminish, and they have started to diminish," he told CTV's Lisa LaFlamme in an interview Friday.

As "Jeopardy!" host, Trebek has graced millions of living rooms for 35 years and more than 8,000 episodes -- the most by a presenter of any single TV game show.

In March, he announced that he had been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, which has a 5-year survival rate of 9%. Last month he revealed he'd be undergoing another round of chemotherapy.

In the CTV interview, Trebek said he regrets being so public with his battle with cancer. His outspokenness about the disease has encouraged many people to lean on him as a source of strength and optimism in their own battles, even while he undergoes his own, he said.

He told LaFlamme he doesn't think he can take on so much of others' pain.

"I don't know if I'm strong enough or intelligent enough to help alleviate some of that despair, so it's tough on me," he said.

But Trebek is facing his diagnosis head on, saying he is not afraid of death.

"The thought of the pancreatic cancer does not frighten me," he told LaFlamme. "I'm 79 years old. So, hey, I've lived a good life, a full life, and I'm nearing the end of that life. I know that."

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Fuck cancer.
    HWBL, SHELLEE, greysfang and 7 others like this.

Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek donates $2.1M to University of Ottawa

Money will fund Alex Trebek Forum for Dialogue

CBC News · Posted: Oct 05, 2019 3:59 PM ET | Last Updated: October 5

Answer: This famous University of Ottawa alumnus donated another $2.1 million Saturday to a school forum that bears his name.

Question: Who is Alex Trebek?

At the university's homecoming celebration on Saturday, the Jeopardy! host announced the donation toward the Alex Trebek Forum for Dialogue, which was created in 2016.
    The money will go toward projects that focus on Canadian and global challenges like including working toward a green economy and preparing for aging societies, the university wrote in a release.
    The money will also fund so-called "Trebek Scholars," new post-doctoral fellows and research associates.

Graduated from U of O in 1961

Trebek graduated from the university in 1961 with a degree in philosophy. He started his career in broadcasting but is best known as the host of the long-running game show Jeopardy!
    He'd previously donated $7.5 million to the school over the years, with that money going to the Alex Trebek Alumni Hall and a distinguished lecture series, along with the forum that bears his name.
    Earlier this year, Trebek was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Following an initial period of optimism, he resumed chemotherapy treatments last month.

Saturday's donation brings his total contributions to the university to more than $9 million.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.5310576
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I always wondered what job you could get with a BA in Philosophy....
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    He told LaFlamme he doesn't think he can take on so much of others' pain.

"I don't know if I'm strong enough or intelligent enough to help alleviate some of that despair, so it's tough on me," he said.

But Trebek is facing his diagnosis head on, saying he is not afraid of death.

"The thought of the pancreatic cancer does not frighten me," he told LaFlamme. "I'm 79 years old. So, hey, I've lived a good life, a full life, and I'm nearing the end of that life. I know that."

Oh Trebek. He sounds like such a good soul. I am so glad he is both realist and optimist about his death. More people should be like Alex Trebek.

I cried when I read the most recent news about him. I’ve never really been personally affected by a celebrity death, but I love Alex. I grew up watching him and can’t imagine Jeopardy without him. I will be so upset if he doesn’t make it. When I told my husband about the news, he cried too.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Doesn't it seem like there should be some kind of blood/endocrine screening test that could be given to people for stuff like ovarian and pancreatic cancer so that it could be caught early, when it's treatable? Do cancers like these not produce ANY abnormal readings in their early stages?

Mrs Mo and I attended a funeral two weeks ago for a founder of the company we met and fell in love at. He was a runner, just like us, and would drag us outside occasionally at lunch to go jogging with him. Died at 68. The picture of health otherwise. By the way, his sister helped give the eulogy and she said that at one point he said, "I can't believe freaking Trump is going to outlive me."
    Brookie, weathered1, HWBL and 1 others like this.

I hate this, but it’s not unexpected. As soon as he announced his diagnosis I knew it would not end well, even though he had a positive attitude & said he was gonna beat this. I thought “stage 4 pancreatic cancer; you ain’t beating shit” as much as I wished he could/would.

This is so fucking sad.
    fgg likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I had a great aunt who lived until she was 100 years old. She was a corker, a very strict Calvinist, (no drinking, no dancing!) who worked on the farm from the day she was married 'til the day she went into residential care at about 95. My husband and I and our 5 month old son went to her 100th birthday open house/party. There were about 200 people there when we walked in and she was seated on a big, comfy chair basically holding court. When it was our turn to approach, I leaned down to kiss her cheek and give her a hug and I said cheerfully, "Well, congratulations, Tante - wow, you made it to one hundred!" She gave me a hard look and barked, "Oh, sit down. It ain't all it's cracked up to be."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information