Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer :(

(I love you, Moongirl.)

Aww, right back at ya, Mo!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

Also, I consider Jeopardy to be basically stultifying and unwatchable.
    Oh now you're throwing down. Jeopardy is basically my religion! (No seriously, I really do take Jeopardy more seriously than I do spirituality...)

Anyway, I do agree about your Zendaya example (I feel about Dancing with the Stars how you feel about Jeopardy), but even football players have to be quick on their feet and I think it was Rosy Grier that took ballet to help him play, or maybe it was glee club or embroidery...I haven't seen that episode of The Brady Bunch in a while. But regardless, I hate the whole, "Yeah, I danced before, but it wasn't the jitterbug!" Like somehow your dancing background isn't going to give you a leg up, as it were, on learning new dances. Whatever. It's like being a Cordon Bleu-trained chef learning to make traditional sushi the first time...maybe out of your element, but not completely foreign.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Alex Trebek Says Tumors are Shrinking
    It's been less than three months sine Jeopardy host Alex Trebek announced he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, but he now says his chemotherapy is working.

Speaking exclusively to People Magazine, Trebek said that doctors told him some of the tumors have already shrunk by more than 50 percent.

"It's kind of mind-boggling," Trebek told the magazine. "The doctors said they hadn't seen this kind of positive result in their memory."

Doctors also said that he's near remission, according to Trebek, despite the cancer having only a 9 percent survival rate.

In an interview a few weeks after the announcement, Trebek said he was feeling good in a video on the last day of taping for Jeopardy's 35th season.

"I wanted once again to thank you for your continuing messages of encouragement and support," Trebek said at the time. "Particularly the many cards I've received from young people. I'm touched beyond words."
    SHELLEE, Trixie, sprynkles and 4 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

weathered1 and crayzeehappee like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

WEll I hope it's all true. Be in that 9% survival rate, Alex!

J
    eopardy!' host Alex Trebek says he is undergoing chemotherapy again after 'numbers went sky high'

ANGELINE JANE BERNABE, BRIAN O'KEEFE and CAMERON HARRISON,Good Morning America 2 hours 17 minutes ago

Alex Trebek reveals he’s undergoing chemotherapy for second time

Scroll back up to restore default view.

'Jeopardy!' host Alex Trebek says he is undergoing chemotherapy again after 'numbers went sky high' originally appeared on goodmorningamerica.com
    “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek says that he is undergoing another round of chemotherapy.
    In an interview with “GMA,” Trebek told ABC News' T.J. Holmes that his doctors have decided to have him undergo chemo again after he lost a large amount of weight and his numbers sky rocketed right after finishing his first round of treatment for stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
    (MORE: Alex Trebek done with chemo, back on 'Jeopardy!')
    “I was doing so well. And my numbers went down to the equivalent of a normal human being who does not have pancreatic cancer. So we were all very optimistic. And they said, 'Good, we're gonna stop chemo, we'll start you on immunotherapy,'" he said before, "I lost about 12 pounds in a week. And my numbers went sky high, much higher than they were when I was first diagnosed. So, the doctors have decided that I have to undergo chemo again and that's what I'm doing."
    Trebek talked about how cancer has taken a toll on his body saying sometimes it’s “excruciating pain” and other times “fatigue.”
    “Cancer is mysterious in more ways than one,” he said.
    The game show host also revealed his battle with depression that started when he was first diagnosed saying that sometimes he feels a “surge of sadness” and “depression.”
    “When it happened early on I was down on myself,” he told “GMA.” “I didn’t realize how fallible each of us is in his or her own way … I talk to the audience sometimes and I get teary eyed for no reason. I don’t even bother to explain it anymore, I just experience it. I know it's a part of who I am and I just keep going.”
    In March, Trebek announced in a YouTube video that he had Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Despite the news, he remained optimistic ending the video with classic wit and humor saying, “I have to host ‘Jeopardy!’ for three more years! So help me. Keep the faith and we’ll win. We’ll get it done.”
    (MORE: Alex Trebek wins 1st Emmy post-cancer announcement)
    He ended up finishing his first round of chemotherapy and went on to film Season 35 of “Jeopardy!”
    Since being diagnosed, Trebek has received an outpouring of support from many around the globe and told “GMA” about how he’s been given prayer shawls, scapulars and even holy water from places of worship around the world. He said he keeps these materials backstage on display.
    (MORE: 'Jeopardy!' star James Holzhauer gives to cancer research in honor of Alex Trebek)
    When asked if he started to think differently about life, the “Jeopardy!” host said the thought of passing on doesn't frighten him.
    "I realize that there is an end in sight for me, just as there is for everyone else. One line that I have used with our staff in recent weeks and months is that when I do pass on, one thing they will not say at my funeral is, 'Oh, he was taken from us too soon.'" Trebek said. "Hey guys. I’m 79-years-old. I’ve had one hell of a good life. And I’ve enjoyed it … the thought of passing on doesn't frighten me, it doesn't. Other things do, the affect it will have on my loved ones ... it makes me sad. But the thought of myself moving on, hey folks, it comes with the territory.”
    (MORE: Alex Trebek: 'I'm still here' for 'Jeopardy!')
    With all that said, Trebek said he has no plans to stop hosting "Jeopardy!"
    "As long as I can walk out and greet the audience and the contestants and run the game I'm happy," he said.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/jeopardy-h...lebrities.html
    Brookie likes this.

Oh no
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

"I realize that there is an end in sight for me, just as there is for everyone else. One line that I have used with our staff in recent weeks and months is that when I do pass on, one thing they will not say at my funeral is, 'Oh, he was taken from us too soon.'" Trebek said. "Hey guys. I’m 79-years-old. I’ve had one hell of a good life. And I’ve enjoyed it … the thought of passing on doesn't frighten me, it doesn't. Other things do, the affect it will have on my loved ones ... it makes me sad. But the thought of myself moving on, hey folks, it comes with the territory.”
    Death may not scare him, but passing from pancreatic cancer can be a very painful way to go. I just hope for his sake, once the pain comes, he goes quickly.

Death, for myself, doesn’t scare me, as long as I don’t meet a violent death. Now, as far as anyone else, like my parents, the thought of them dying scares the hell out of me. I dread the day. Thank God they made my middle brother executor or their wills, because I know I’ll be an emotional wreck. I couldn’t handle it.
    sputnik, weathered1 and DawnM74 like this.

The thought of running naked through a cactus patch and then falling into a river full of piranha scares me to death, although I have calculated the odds of that happening to be something like 1 in 1x10^16.

I think I said this earlier or in another thread, but a guy who was a mentor to Mrs Mo and Me (when we first met and started dating) has just been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He's a grandfather and very comfortable financially, but he should have had another 15 healthy years. He was a marathoner who used to drag Mrs Mo and me out at lunch time to run with him. Those were some very good times.
    Brookie and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    Death may not scare him, but passing from pancreatic cancer can be a very painful way to go. I just hope for his sake, once the pain comes, he goes quickly.

Death, for myself, doesn’t scare me, as long as I don’t meet a violent death. Now, as far as anyone else, like my parents, the thought of them dying scares the hell out of me. I dread the day. Thank God they made my middle brother executor or their wills, because I know I’ll be an emotional wreck. I couldn’t handle it.
    You may surprise yourself when the time comes. Your only focus is to get through the day. A calmness comes over you because you know that you have a role to play as a daughter or son. My sister and I are still surprised at how we handled our parents' funerals. We cried a little, but we maintained. It helped that we had their funerals planned before they passed so that we didn't have to deal with it when the time came.
    sputnik, twitchy2.0, HWBL and 6 others like this.

Even when nothing is planned, which was the case when my dad died (heart attack out of the blue at 51), a sort of adrenaline rush/auto-pilot kicks in and you get through it. The really hard part is after, once that wears off and you have to go back to reality and it hits you they’re really gone.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Even when nothing is planned, which was the case when my dad died (heart attack out of the blue at 51), a sort of adrenaline rush/auto-pilot kicks in and you get through it. The really hard part is after, once that wears off and you have to go back to reality and it hits you they’re really gone.
    Yup, that's how it happened with my dad, except he was older.

Tell everyone you care about how much you love them as often as you can. Because at some point, it's over and you won't get another chance. Having your loved ones know exactly how much you appreciated them when they pass suddenly can get you through a lot of the grieving process. At least it did for me.
    sputnik, HWBL, weathered1 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yup, that's how it happened with my dad, except he was older.

Tell everyone you care about how much you love them as often as you can. Because at some point, it's over and you won't get another chance. Having your loved ones know exactly how much you appreciated them when they pass suddenly can get you through a lot of the grieving process. At least it did for me.
    The last thing my father said to me was that he loved me and he called me a childhood nickname. My Mom was in a coma for 3 weeks before she passed, but she had Dementia and had suffered several strokes. She didn't know who we were for several months before she passed.

It's even unexpected when your parents live as long as mine did (93 and 92, in 2005 and 2015), because then they've been around for so long, you're kind of lulled into thinking they'll just continue being there, which is totally unrealistic, but is really what happens especially when they have almost no health issues.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information