Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer :(

Yeah, I feel like...if you can do it, and you got the hustle, get that money! I don't mind that he has a strategy - and I don't even mind when he chooses from the bottom because I know he knows his stuff. I just hate when other people do it trying to find the daily double. That's funny the other contestant devised his own strategy by watching James...It's like Jeopardy Survivor. Anyway, I think it's fun.

Anyway, I think pulling the bottom questions first always bothers me because a lot of time is wasted when no one understands the rhythm of the category. Sometimes you need to do one or two, especially in word games, to get what they're asking for. But if people could do that and answer correctly, I'm all for it. It's just usually idiots trying to dig themselves out of a hole and they're annoying.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Why not? What does being a professional SPORTS gambler have to do with anything? Bottom line, the guy has an immense wealth of knowledge in so many subjects it's mind-boggling, and he's incredibly fast on the buzzer. The gambling background might help him when it comes to strategy and he's obviously not afraid to make big bets, but if he didn't know the answers none of that would matter.

The most exciting game he's played was the one where he won by $18, the rest have been total runaways but it's not his fault he is playing against passive opponents for the most part. I'm only sad that his run is being interrupted by the Teachers Tournament for the next two weeks.
    Because he does this stuff for a living. Makes bets. Plays head games. A lot of people have a vast base of knowledge, but get flustered because they are a schoolteacher from Des Moines, or some business person from God knows where. This guy carries basically the same knowledge, but is totally in his element as opposed to all the other players.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Because he does this stuff for a living. Makes bets. Plays head games. A lot of people have a vast base of knowledge, but get flustered because they are a schoolteacher from Des Moines, or some business person from God knows where. This guy carries basically the same knowledge, but is totally in his element as opposed to all the other players.
    He's a professional sports bettor. His 'job' is to bet with bookies on games other people play. He's not playing head games with people, he's doing research and picking who he thinks will win.

Some have said that his job makes him more willing to bet large, but I think his willingness to bet large is what attracted him to his job. You don't become a professional gambler if you're not able to take the risk in the first place. So, I'd guess he already had that risk taker trait in his personality, and his job is just one that fits well with that trait.

What I do think he got from his profession is that in order to make a living by betting on sports, he has to be able to identify small things that give one team an advantage over another in a particular game.

Applying that to Jeopardy, he would have figured out that buzzer speed is the key. It doesn't matter how many answers you know if you don't win the buzzer race. In interviews, he said he created a simulated buzzer and practiced. He also read the book a former champion wrote about mastering the buzzer. A producer from the show said that he asked the most detailed questions about the buzzer than anyone before him. I think that's what he got from his profession - the ability to spot the 'small' thing that makes the difference.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Sorry, but I think that's ridiculous. He tried out several times before he was chosen. He studied and prepared. He mastered the buzzer. He developed a strategy. Things every other Jeopardy contestant has the opportunity to do should they choose. If they choke under pressure that's the breaks.

Looking at other Jeopardy champions, Ken Jennings was a computer scientist, as was Roger Craig. Brad Rutter, the highest $ winner, was a college dropout working at a video store. Alex Jacob was a professional poker player (should he have been disqualified too?) Austin Rogers was a bartender, Colby Burnett was a teacher....etc etc. It seems their jobs didn't give them any particular advantages, they were just prepared, knowledgeable, maybe some good luck thrown in too.
    albatross likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

He's a pro. A ringer. He lives in Vegas. God knows what other bullshit he gambles on and leaves out.

Looking at other Jeopardy champions, Ken Jennings was a computer scientist, as was Roger Craig. Brad Rutter, the highest $ winner, was a college dropout working at a video store. Alex Jacob was a professional poker player (should he have been disqualified too?) Austin Rogers was a bartender, Colby Burnett was a teacher....etc etc. It seems their jobs didn't give them any particular advantages, they were just prepared, knowledgeable, maybe some good luck thrown in too.
    Ken Jennings - great example. Does computer science for a living, not gambling. The college dropout - perfect person to allow to play. Yes, Alex Jacob should have been disqualified, too.

^^I still don't understand what being a professional gambler has to do with doing well on Jeopardy; no matter how good your skills are at gambling, you still have to know shit to answer the questions. What good does it do to have a good strategy if you don't know the answers?
    fgg and holly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^I still don't understand what being a professional gambler has to do with doing well on Jeopardy; no matter how good your skills are at gambling, you still have to know shit to answer the questions. What good does it do to have a good strategy if you don't know the answers?
    Jeopardy is gambling. You are wagering money, making risk assessments and making decisions on those assessments, trying to keep a cool head, and competing against others - to get more money. That's what he does for a living.

Ken Jennings himself said that most people who are competing with him already know the answers, too, so basically everyone is coming in equalized on the body of knowledge.

so because he is qualified at risk taking, playing the odds and placing wagers, concealing his emotions, natural or trained physical and mental reflexes and strategy, he shouldn't be eligible?

Jeopardy is gambling. You are wagering money, making risk assessments and making decisions on those assessments, trying to keep a cool head, and competing against others - to get more money. That's what he does for a living.

Ken Jennings himself said that most people who are competing with him already know the answers, too, so basically everyone is coming in equalized on the body of knowledge.
    And? I'm guessing a surgeon, an ER doctor/nurse, a bomb defuser, can keep cool under pressure; should they too be banned?
    czb and holly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bootspaige View Post
    so because he is qualified at risk taking, playing the odds and placing wagers, concealing his emotions, natural or trained physical and mental reflexes and strategy, he shouldn't be eligible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    And? I'm guessing a surgeon, an ER doctor/nurse, a bomb defuser, can keep cool under pressure; should they too be banned?
    Yeah, my position is that if you are a professional at wagering in competitive games for money - whether a sports gambler or a poker player or something to do with gambling -- you should not be eligible. I'm also not in favor of professional athletes or professional anybody participating in essentially the same type of contests where the basic ideas is that amateurs are competing. I mentioned attributes that I think that are found with gamblers - a bomb defuser or trauma surgeon, I'm sure, can stay cool under pressure, but I don't think it translates to staying cool under pressure in a gambling/wagering environment.

See?? James is so eviiil that he’s tearing this board apart!!
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

So ice skaters should not be on Dancing With the Stars. Actually, I have more of a problem with that, but then again Jeopardy contestants don't give those ridiculous false-modesty testimonials..."I swear even though I'm a 4-time gold-medal winning gymnast, I know nothing about moving my body in time to music!"

Anyway, being quick and cool under pressure is the whole key to winning the game, no matter whether you're a pro gambler or a teacher. In my living room, I can clear a board by myself and wager everything on Final Jeopardy and win big, but the one time I tried to take the test for Jeopardy online, I couldn't click and type fast enough. Just being on TV and having an audience can screw a person up. And you can see those people on the show sometimes...you can tell they are probably super intelligent IRL, but perform horribly on the show and don't buzz in in time or say really stupid things because they're not focused on the question.

Regardless, I heard that when they asked him how he knew all this stuff, he said he read all the children's books in the library.
    weathered1 likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    See?? James is so eviiil that he’s tearing this board apart!!
    I really had no idea people had such strong feelings on Jeopardy when I asked!

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    I really had no idea people had such strong feelings on Jeopardy when I asked!
    I don't. It might have come across that way, but it's just a philosophical argument I have in general about mixing pros with amateurs. I disliked when our college level basketball players would basically have to play against foreign professionals in the Olympics (before the "Dream Team" era). I thought it was unfair that someone who danced her whole life like Zendaya Coleman was pitted against former football players in "Dancing with the Stars".

I also thought it was unfair when that malignant fireplug Russell was rolled right into the "Survivor Allstars" before any of his all-star competitors had a chance to see what he was about and how his unique strategy had gotten him so far on the season that had just wrapped.

Also, I consider Jeopardy to be basically stultifying and unwatchable. Trebek seems like a really sincere, nice guy, though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information