Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer :(

czb

Quote Originally Posted by albatross View Post
    An article I read said Jobs' decision to not have surgery was not necessarily a factor in his death. Because the neuroendicrine cancer is slow growing, patients don't have to rush into surgery, and in the article, doctors said the 9 month delay between his diagnosis and his surgery was not actually that long for his type of cancer.

The questionable part of his treatment came 5 years after his cancer surgery/treatment, and that was the liver transplant because that is almost never recommended, and if the cancer had returned and spread beyond the liver, the anti-rejection meds would have made it difficult to fight off any remaining cancer cells.
    i'm aware of what the article said. but the oncologist in my family says otherwise.

i stand by what i wrote, above. can't provide any more details, sorry.

Totally believable, Jobs was a kook re: his health. He ate only apples for some extended period of time. His autobiography made it sound like he had some kind of orthorexia.
    sputnik likes this.

czb

yes. and he also sought food-based holistic treatments instead of the standard of care. he only went back to stanford when he finally realized changing his DIET wasn't working for him. and then it was too late.

don't get me started on this ....

Quote Originally Posted by Labelwhore View Post
    Damn. I grew up watching him on Reach for the Top, here in Toronto. This is really sad. I hope he can fight it...very slim chance though 😭
    So did I. My son is 20 and took his team to the Reach for the Top nationals twice while in high school. He's also a Jeopardy whiz. This news just crushed him.
    sputnik, politesse and Labelwhore like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Totally believable, Jobs was a kook re: his health. He ate only apples for some extended period of time.
    It was probably just extreme commitment to the brand.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

fgg

‘Jeopardy!’ host Alex Trebek struggles with ‘deep sadness’ amid cancer battle

Alex Trebek got candid about his cancer treatments Wednesday during his first live sit-down interview since revealing his stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis in March.

“My oncologist tells me I’m doing well even though I don’t always feel it,” the longtime “Jeopardy!” host told Robin Roberts on “Good Morning America.” “I’ve had kidney stones, ruptured disks, so I’m used to dealing with pain, but what I’m not used to dealing with is these surges that come on suddenly of deep, deep sadness, and it brings tears to my eyes.”

Trebek, 78, said that he is “fighting through it,” adding, “my platelets are steady, my blood counts are steady, my weight is steady.” He will undergo another round of chemotherapy next week, followed by a review “to find out where things stand.”

Despite his struggles, Trebek remains grateful for the outpouring of support he has received.

“People all over America have been sharing the good thoughts, their advice, their prayers, and I feel that it is making a difference in my well-being,” Trebek said.

Trebek also noted he’s had “so many contacts from people who have survived cancer, for 10 years, 12 years, 14 years,” and as a 30-day cancer survivor himself, he is determined to “catch up to those other people.”

As for the future, Trebek, who has hosted “Jeopardy!” for 35 years, is hopeful to return to the small screen this fall.

“Hopefully everything is going to turn out well and I’ll be back on the air with original programming this September,” he said.

Trebek last provided an update on his progress in April, thanking fans for their continued encouragement.

“I wanted once again to thank you for your continuing messages of encouragement and support, particularly the many cards I’ve received from young people. I’m touched beyond words,” he said at the time.

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/01/jeopa...cancer-battle/
    Brookie, sprynkles, Sleuth and 4 others like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

^^I think this happens a lot with terminal people. When my Grandpa had brain cancer, even though he was going through treatment, he would just randomly cry because he knew what was coming. My husband's grandma turned into an alcoholic her last few months because she didn't want to face death.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Has anyone been watching James rack up over a million bones through 20 something games recently?

My husband (the conspiracy theorist) is convinced he's being fed questions in an effort to rev up "the end". Either way Alex seems to be having fun with him which is nice to see. Of course I'm not sure the outcome of James' fate in regards to filimg schedule but I do hope Alex gets to see it through.
    Honeythorn likes this.

I hate James because there is no competition with him. He knows everything and I hate that he starts from the bottom. I knew that I recognized him, he was on the other game show called The Chase in 2014 and he kicked ass then too.
    KrisNine likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I heard hes a professional gambler. He should never have been allowed on the show in the first place
    Beeyotch, Nevan and Honeythorn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    ^^I think this happens a lot with terminal people. When my Grandpa had brain cancer, even though he was going through treatment, he would just randomly cry because he knew what was coming. My husband's grandma turned into an alcoholic her last few months because she didn't want to face death.
    Yes, my maternal grandfather, who I adored, did the same thing. He had survived prostate cancer in the seventies, then it came back to his testicles and spread. He'd burst into tears while talking sometimes. It was heartbreaking.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I heard hes a professional gambler. He should never have been allowed on the show in the first place
    Why not? What does being a professional SPORTS gambler have to do with anything? Bottom line, the guy has an immense wealth of knowledge in so many subjects it's mind-boggling, and he's incredibly fast on the buzzer. The gambling background might help him when it comes to strategy and he's obviously not afraid to make big bets, but if he didn't know the answers none of that would matter.

The most exciting game he's played was the one where he won by $18, the rest have been total runaways but it's not his fault he is playing against passive opponents for the most part. I'm only sad that his run is being interrupted by the Teachers Tournament for the next two weeks.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I don't mind James, but I do hate when people start from the bottom, or worse yet, the middle. I wish we could just throw those contestants in the trash most of the time but at least I know he's got a strategy. I agree with Trixie that this is not really something he can gamble at (I know it's an ethics issue) but he really does need to know his stuff. I think it's kind of interesting because the few times I've been around to see him play that some of the other people are finishing with pretty large money amounts of their own but they don't come close to him.
    Nevan likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Well, maybe it should be, but it's not against the rules to start at the bottom, which he always does in the first round, to accumulate as much money as possible going into double jeopardy. Then, he starts board hopping for the daily doubles and he is usually so far ahead by then that he can bet those big amounts. He's not the first Jeopardy champ to do this, and it's not his fault the other players are chickenshits who, if they're lucky enough to get a daily double, bet something lame like $1000.

The guy who lost by $18 said in an interview that he was in the audience watching James play while waiting to be a contestant. So he developed some strategies of his own and ended up with the highest losing score in Jeopardy history. The others sit there like deers in the headlights, worried whether they'll end up with $2k or $1k at the end so don't take any risks.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

During his first couple of shows, I thought James was too smug and arrogant. Since then, though, I can't help but be incredibly impressed by the breadth and scope of his knowledge, and he's humanized himself quite a bit with things like talking about his grandmother. He's smart, he developed a good strategy, and he's not afraid to make huge wagers.

Personally, I find this more exciting to watch than the timid players who start at the top of the board and are far too scared to ever make large bets, and the champions who win a game with a middling sum and then are abruptly defeated the next day. The game in which James narrowly won by that very small margin was more suspenseful (in my opinion) than the show has been in quite some time, and I have to applaud the runner-up for doing what no other player in the past three weeks has done - taking advantage of sitting in the audience and watching James play so that competitive strategies can be devised.

Plus, this is clearly giving Alex Trebek a great deal of enjoyment, and that's nice to see.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information