Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree292Likes

Thread: Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer :(

What is omfg hell no? I am heartbroken. Pancreatic cancer is hell.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    God bless him. I hated to read this. .

I can't help but think of Will Ferrell's impersonation of him on SNL and Darrell Hammond's Sean Comnery. 
    Those skits are up there with my favorites
    Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I am in denial about this.
    Me too.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Damn. Love him.

Did y'all know Jeopardy is on Netflix? I had no idea, and had just recently started watching it there.
    sputnik likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Elite Member

My FB feed was filled with this news. People obviously like Alex! I was sad to hear this news.

After a stage 4 diagnosis, it's usually 2-6 months left. At stage 4, it is virtually 100% fatal. There are some treatments that might make his quality of life better, but they're really just trying to make the patient comfortable at this point. Pancreatic cancer is so deadly because it rarely gets diagnosed until it's advanced. It has almost no symptoms until it's reached stage 3 or 4 (more 4), and by then it's usually spread to other areas. My grandmother had it and she was diagnosed at stage 4 ... I think she made it through three months and the last two were horrible awful. The last 4-6 weeks they had her so drugged to help with the pain that she wasn't even the same person anymore. Anyway, I applaud his effort to fight and remain positive ... maybe that will help him achieve a longer prognosis.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Aw man. This sucks. I like the way Alex corrects wrong answers. Sometimes firmly, sometimes amused, sometimes a little shadily. He's one of a kind. 2019 is starting off sadly with all this bad news.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Pancreatic cancer: remember Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze? I think Swayze held on the longest, of all celeb cases. Horrible disease.
    holly, BITTER, Brookie and 2 others like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I heard this on the radio this morning & they played the actual clip of him announcing it. I teared up & actually shed a tear. I don't think just hearing about it would have had the same impact on me & hearing the words straight from him. He even tried to add a bit of levity by saying something like "I have to beat this, because I have 3 more years on my contract to host Jeopardy".

I'm glad he has a positive attitude, but at stage 4, he ain't beating shit, unfortunately. Makes me so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Pancreatic cancer: remember Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze? I think Swayze held on the longest, of all celeb cases. Horrible disease.
    I'm not holding out much hope. Sad. Did he just find out I wonder, or has he known for a while?
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

This hits a little close to home. I have my own issues with my pancreas. I have Auto-Immune Pancreatitis that is chronic. What is killing me inside about this is that I know the kind of unimaginable pain that Alex is in. I don't have cancer, but I do know the kind of pain that thing can give off. Childbirth and Kidney stones ain't shit next to the pancreas. I hope that he isn't suffering but i'm in total denial about that. This fucking sucks because he is one of the good guys. I mean Tom Hanks level of good guy.
    Brookie, HWBL, Nevan and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I'm not holding out much hope. Sad. Did he just find out I wonder, or has he known for a while?
    I read that he had learned of the diagnosis only a week before he announced it (in the video).
    Brookie likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Ugh, pancreatic is the worst. At stage 4 it is very unlikely it's not metestasic and has invaded other organs and is not "treatable". It's a bitch of a disease because most seem to go through a shit, dire period then have a seeming "recovery" when on pain helping meds (the pain is NEVER gone, but it is more bearable) when the person "comes back" and you think, they are gonna beat this! They never do, stage 4 cancer is such a motherfucking evil bitch. Patients need and family need to spend every possible second of that time together and get out everything important, their love and how important they are, because after that honeymoon period death is almost always imminent. Trebek seems very in himself and in a good place but pancreatic hits hard and fast, after it has been around invading so much of your body, so long when you had zero fucking idea.
    Honeythorn and Mrs P like this.

Such sad news. I've only known one person who survived this diagnosis. Compete miracle. I hope he doesn't suffer too much. It is just the worst disease.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

This is so sad. He’s the voice of my childhood (I’ve always been a nerd and Jeopardy was never missed in my house!)
    sputnik and czb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    HWBL's observation is pretty alarming because I don't think either Landon or Swayze were even slightly overweight, or had reputations as drinkers -- which can raiser your risk factor. Apparently, guys are more likely to develop it. And Ashkenazi jewish ancestry is a risk factor, too. My doctor, who was Ashkenezi jewish, passed away last year. He was super fit, and thin as a pin. I'm almost positive he had pancreatic cancer. Trebek appears to be Catholic - He went to Jesuit schools when he was young. Risk factors:

Family history of pancreatic cancer
    Personal history of pancreatitis
    Excessive weight

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information