Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jenny McCarthy calls Bulls***!

My cousin is autistic. He is 22 now and attending college ,where he is on the Dean's List. He is tall,dark and very good looking.He is a computer genius who can never,ever live alone. He gets obsessed with things-right now crime stats-and cannot let go.Both of he parents are doctors. They are divorced. What caused this? We don't know. Just a stark tragedy,and yet he is thriving-in his own way.Maybe it will turn out to be some combination of his parents genes, plus a dash of insecticides and cows on antibiotics and hormones-who knows. At least he is happy in his own world,with so many friends that have been with him since kindergarten-young,loving,accepting friends. He has a life. With no vaccinations, he might have died long ago with measles or diptheria. Would that have been more merciful? I cannot say-but I know he is enjoying his life and even his obsessions.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    My son was 2 years 9 months when he was diagnosed, after me going to my pediatrician telling him something was wrong, and being told I was an "over-anxious" parent, and that maybe I should take parenting classes (which conveniently were done by his wife). He got into intensive home therapy (Lovaas) as well as speech, O.T., adaptive P.E., play therapy. I was very lucky, as after he got into the home program (30 hours a week) it became much harder to get. I tried to get involved with a local parents group but they were so militant and angry and looking to blame, I dropped out and don't have anything to do with them. I didn't have enough energy for that on top of trying to deal with everything at home.

Tulip how old is your son?
    He's 8.

How old is your son now?

14, going to high school next year. A bit nervous about it, but he's done great so far with being included in regular classes.

*crosses fingers and toes!*
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information