Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Jennifer Lawrence on fame: ‘Thank you for loving my movies, but let me eat’

I like her very much but agree that she's overexposed right now, and the "I'm just like you," bit is wearing thin.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

With this title I thought she meant that she would like to gain some weight.
    levitt likes this.

I like her. I like that she is not trying to fit in. I like that she said she is happy with her body and will diet to meet someone else's needs. I like that she was honest said "that means I'm rich" instead of trying to act like she still faces struggles. I like that she speaks so lovingly of her parents and says that is her idea of a good marriage.

I do agree that she is getting over-exposed but how can she change her tune? If she suddenly started acting like most ion Hollywood everyone would start saying "see it was all fake and she's just like every other starlet..."
    Flygirl and rocky road like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Love this kid and I hope she continues to have a ton of success. Really seems to have her head on right, loves her family and doesn't mind taking the piss outta of herself. I don't think she needs to change a thing.
    sluce, Trixie, stef and 3 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I like her very much but agree that she's overexposed right now, and the "I'm just like you," bit is wearing thin.
    yeah, it's that to me, the message is a very earnest "I'm like you" but someone who made 27 mil in one year at her age (and can rhapsodize about having a wonderful childhood to boot) is not just like me or like most people I know. That doesn't mean I want her to be an asshole, but she might as well acknowledge the difference.

and it's her life, but she isn't mentioning, at least here, how she is lucky, how it could all evaporate, or that she gives a shit about people who don't have it so good. She talks humble, but it's still all me, me, me, and that's actually what I would expect from anyone her age who got a big break, so it's not like she has me inhaling a big breath of fresh air.

she's just okay to me, it's kinda whatever.
    southernbelle likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

I like her a lot. Part of her charm is that she doesn't have much of a filter, but it's a double-edged sword for certain. I think it will be better for her when the furor settles down and she's not so much the flavor-of-the-month.
    sluce likes this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Unlike Anne Hathaway, I don't get the try hard vibe from this girl. I like how she talks about what's good for herself and doesn't try to make it a great feat for all women. I like how when she's not promoting her movies, she's pretty invisible. I've never seen her get out of a car without panties, I never see shots of her shopping on Rodeo Drive, chilling on a yacht or going out to clubs. I think I've seen some pap shots of her and her boyfriend chilling in a park with some wine and reading books, and that's it. She seemed genuinely surprised to win the Oscar but she didn't cry and get hysterical like she was oh so shocked that she won. Everyone was predicting her to win but she walked the line of being aware of that while also being gracious. I like her comments acknowledging her wealth but not overplaying it or downplaying it either.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I don't really look at her as a "starlet" I think she's an actor, and I think she's doing her best to handle all the praise and attention and money she's receiving at such a young age. She's overexposed because she's involved in so many projects and part of that job is to promote them. It seems to me she's trying to stay as grounded as possible under the circumstances. Assuming she doesn't go off the rails and fuck it up, I think she has the potential to be the Meryl Streep of her generation. Yeah, you can all flog me for that comment, but honestly, I can't remember any actress since Streep to receive the kind of accolades she gets for her acting ability.
    sluce, deenz, lindsaywhit and 2 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^ Regarding the last paragraph, Kate Winslet comes to mind. She had a crazy amount of Oscar nominations at a young age.

I don't think she should change, as I said, I like her very much. But the overexposure makes her wear thin. No matter how honest the original message is, when it's repeated over and over and over again, it starts to feel rehearsed. Or at least, rote.

Also, I don't doubt for one second that she knows her honesty has gained her fans, and she panders to that a bit because hey, it's the truth, it works, and it's the easy way to get through countless, boring interviews.
    Beeyotch likes this.

^Agreed. I didn't think of Kate. Anyone else? I just remember Jennifer Lawrence being nominated when she was what, 20? For one of her first movies, and I had no clue who she was.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

The people around here who met her when she was filming Silver Linings, have nothing but wonderful things to say about her.
    dallison likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Trixie - Kate was first nominated at 20 too. (Eta- I just looked it up and she was 19) I can't think of anyone else from recent years who can be compared.

Not for best actress though. (ok I had to look it up too!) Winslet was first nominated for best supporting in Sense and Sensibility in 1995 and then for Best Actress in Titanic at 22 (1997), but didn't win until 2009. Lawrence has been nominated for best actress twice already, and won once. She's the second youngest to win Best Actress (first was Marlee Matlin) and the third youngest to be nominated, but of course she's got a ways to go to catch up with Winslet on number of nominations. But she's only 23 and Winslet is 38. Thank you wikipedia.

I love anyone who can trip over their gown on the way to pick up an Oscar, burp and eat burgers and fangirl out after meeting an idol (I can't remember who she met but I remember the gif - she was adorably excited and making the quiet "OMG did you just see that? That was X!!!!" face and flappy hands that any normal person would make upon meeting their idol. She just happened to do the gah-flappy-zomg-holyshit stuff while being interviewed on the red carpet.... it was hilarious!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information