Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Jennifer Aniston ‘frustrated’ by being ‘stereotyped’ as a comedienne

I read she had to beg for Cake. Also I was forced, forced to see Horrible Bosses 2 by some co-workers and all I could see was her new face, pillow cheeks and strange new nose. Any more ps and she will become Renee Zellweger or Jennifer Grey.
    Palermo and snoopqueen like this.

Even though many of the posters at the site get on my nerves, a few years ago, Datalounge did a "Let's Make A Jennifer Aniston Movie" that was hysterical. All of the "movies" were variations on the same theme. Because she basically plays the same part in most of her films.

Let's Make A Jennifer Aniston Movie
    snoopqueen likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The only movie I've ever seen her in is "Office Space," and she was only "meh" to me in that. Now that I think about it, that movie is the only thing I've ever seen her in. I had no interest in "Friends" and I pretty much hate rom cons.
    I agree with you completely. I had no interest in"Friends" she was ok in "Office Space". I did see her in a serious movie "The Good Girl" I think Jake Gyllenhal was her co-star. She was ok in that movie as well.
    I think Jen should just be happy with her level of success....
    Last edited by She's a Rainbow; December 13th, 2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo

I think she waited too long to do other roles (Derailed/Horrible Bosses). She was already known as 'Rachel' for so long, that to see her in these other roles, even though she did a good job, she seemed 'out of place'. I don't know if I am explaining it how I mean to lol. Need more coffee.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't get the "Oh, she's Rachel in everything" criticisms. She's done some parts where she plays takes on the same character but there are films where she has spread her wings a little. And it's not just in The Good Girl. Don't tell me that her hilarious turn in Horrible Bosses is anything like Rachel. Don't tell me that her dramatic character in Derailed which was a flawed film but she had a fantastic performance was just Rachel redux. Don't tell me that her dramatic scenes in Marley and me were badly acted or that she did a bad job in He's not that into you where her scenes where she's asking Ben Affleck's character if he's ever going to marry her are just beyond heartbreaking. And in the Break Up there were moments of uncomfortable truth and pain beyond all the hype of that part and movie which was falsely billed as a comedy.

I know that if you've gotten your mind made up about an actor there isn't much that can be done. And sometimes actors are just typecast and there's no way around it. I saw a film where a character played by the late Leslie Nielsen sexually assaults Barbra Streisand's character. Poor Nielsen acted the part perfectly and I couldn't stop laughing. It immediately got me out of the movie. So I do see it but I still think it's very unfair. [/jenfesto]
    i agree, for the most part.
    she was great in 'the good girl', and that was also a great film. the problem is, all the other films where she's tried something different, have either been totally shitty (derailed), or those weird movies that can't decide if they're rom coms or not so they end up sucking, and on top of that they end up being marketed as rom coms and disappointing the people who watch them because they expected rom coms (the break up).
    'horrible bosses' and 'the good girl' are really the only one of those that were successful. 'marley and me' is fucking awful - it's basically a sad rom com, but still just as cheesy.

my point is, when she does decide to branch out (which isn't that often, hence my comment in another thread about aniston being creatively lazy), she needs to make better choices.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireJD View Post
    I think part of the problem is she's so firmly wedded to her image. Blonde straight hair in her face, great body dressed to show off but the same type of clothes each time. Very similar RomCom roles even that mess with Gerald Butler. She isn't exactly putting it out there than she wants to change directions.
    Couldn't have said it better. She's stuck in an image and I've been bored with her for years.I know she''s done some dramatic roles, but none of them come to mind because the films didn't make much of an impact. Why doesn't she do TV? There are all kinds of guest rolls in TV dramas.

Did somebody buy this nomination for her al la Pia Zadora?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by She's a Rainbow View Post
    I think Jen should just be happy with her level of success....

This!!!

BeltUp, that other movie she was in was called "Friends With Money," With Catherine Keener. Never saw it--I have to admit, she really is so stereotyped into the Rachel/romcom kind of roles that for me, seeing that Jennifer Aniston is in a movie kind of makes me not want to watch it.
    BITTER and Belt Up like this.

Elite Member

I think she was great in Friends and I honestly liked her, but its been 10 years and I feel like she's still stuck back there. Same hair, same everything. Now she annoys me. On the one hand, part of me feels sorry for her, because even though she's a gazillionaire, she's stuck in this rut and she won't be taken seriously and her looks are starting to fade and where will she go from here? I can't imagine Cake is going to turn her career around to something new. She's just not interesting, and I think that's become really apparent.

^^I think so too. But you know if the worst thing going on in life is being boring, well it could be worse and no I will NOT feel sorry for Aniston. She's stuck in the rut of same hair, same roles, same whatever because she chose those things. Either way, she'll survive and I am totally unconcerned.
    BITTER, czb and BuffyKatniss like this.

^^^Personally I don't think she has the ability as an actress to break out of that rut. But hey, she gets paid quite well for doing just that, so Beeyotch is right.

Don't Cry for Me Argentina....
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

^ Even Madge was better in that role than Aniston would have been.

I hear they are casting for Cleopatra.
    Jazzy and tulip like this.

I love her in the Horrible Bosses movies. She's hysterical but she is not a comedian. I didn't like the Good Girl as a movie but her acting was fine.
    Jazzy likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Everybody who starred in Friends seems to have this issue, though. You could argue that she has had a better career, beyond Friends, than David Schwimmer, Matt LeBlanc, Lisa Kudrow, and Matthew Perry. To me, she makes very safe, Doris Day, rom-com types of movies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information