Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Jack Osbourne diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis

My sister in law has MS and was diagnosed in her 30's. Luckily with the right meds, it has progressed rather slowly. She does have difficulty walking but her mind is sharp.

Another one of these situations where no matter what you think of the celeb, you wouldn't wish this on them. (Not that I have anything against Jack except that he's related to "fash-uh-nista" Kelly.)
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    ^^

MS is tough because it just slowly degenerates the body while the mind remains active. The lady who used to babysit me when I was in pre school has had MS for years, and it's now quite advanced. She's been confined to a wheelchair for years, has to have a colostomy bag as she lost control of her bladder and bowels some time ago, is losing her vision and the list just goes on. Saddest thing is that in order to get the hands on care she needs to get, she has to live in a high needs nursing home, has done since she was in her 40s. The other people in the home are really old, decrepit and (more often than not) in advanced stages of dementia. I went to visit her a few times and it's just so depressing what this disease does to you. And it takes time.

Jack will be fine for years and years, but slowly, behind the scenes, his body will revolt against him and crumble around him. I feel so sorry for him, but I think he will fight it for as long as he can. And he has the advantage of all the treatment money can buy, which my family's friend doesn't
    Posted from my iPhone
    I don't think that he has to crumble any more. With the kind that Jack has and most of the population has there are many more treatment options and more coming down the pike. The meds my sister has been prescribed are supposed to stop any more damage from occuring and she is trying a drug that has shown to help improve what you have already lost. Her doctor was very encouraging and positive that she would live a long and productive life.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I am so sorry for him!

The most awful thing about MS is - each and everyone diagnosed with it has another form of it. It is also called the disease of the thousand faces - at least where I live people call it that way.
    You hear about a new cure now and then and patients that say it helped for them - but for the rest it won't.

My mother had it for 30 years and just died three years ago because of this disease. She lost month by month a little bit more strenght and abilities. Her body was too weak - she couldn't swallow her meals anymore and also started to have problems with breathing.
    She also had kind of both forms of MS - she had relapses from time to time but it was considered as the progressive way of the disease.

Either way it's not fun to deal with. Not if you have it yourself nor if someone close to you has it and you try to give them hope from month to month during years.

By the way they still don't know what causes MS. If someone in your family has it, the chances to get it too are higher, but still none of the people I know diagnosed with MS have family member with MS.
    -

There are other options for MS out there.

Terry Wahls MD | Defeating Progressive Multiple Sclerosis without Drugs | MS Recovery | Food As Medicine

This is an amazing story to me.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

It is and it worked for her. But as I said the worst thing is what helps for one patient doesnt have the slightest influence on the other. I dont know what to think about it. While it sure gives hope it might also be difficult to stop the drugs that work for something you have no idea if it works for your type of ms...
    -

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information