Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Jack Nicholson Mocked the Idea of Marrying Anjelica Huston

That story, it floors me that she'd say she "enjoyed the brief flash of possessiveness." I really don't understand women who feel like this, it's a big red flag that he feels you're his property and he's willing to use force to control you, and she perceives it as some romantic gesture. *mind boggles* I can only attribute it to the naivete of youth but still, damn, wake up! It's a trap!

czb

^^^ agree.

but that attitude made heathcliff a big romantic hero throughout the literary world. :
    sluce likes this.

And contributed greatly to 50 shades of crap from what I have heard.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    hey, didn't mean to do a pile-on. even if you had not posted this follow-up, it is ok to disagree.
    Thank you, that's very kind, but honestly, I didn't feel attacked at all - just a bit stupid for appearing to admire the dysfunctional drama with Jack. It was..... careless. I'm not a professional, but have been involved with WISE for years as a volunteer - long enough to understand how much damage a little carelessness can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I agree. I hope there is much more to her book than this, because this piece has lowered my respect for her.
    From what little we know (and yeah, it's probably not enough to assess either way) I kind of disagree. It sounds like she took an immense amount of shit from this guy. And that's also what I've always heard everywhere else about these two and their relationship. Not to mention, there've been dark whispers about her Dad too.

IMHO and all that, Nicholson IS an asshole; and though I enjoy his performances from time to time, I've always felt the same as Goopy--he is scary. (Polanski buddy, anyone?)

Violence is never cool or okay, but under certain circumstances, I find such outbursts understandable. It could well be that he's lucky she didn't shoot him.

Again, disclaimer: not a Jack fan, always been creeped out by him tbh. We'll probably never hear the whole story here, not sure I want to. bleah.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    That story, it floors me that she'd say she "enjoyed the brief flash of possessiveness." I really don't understand women who feel like this, it's a big red flag that he feels you're his property and he's willing to use force to control you, and she perceives it as some romantic gesture. *mind boggles* I can only attribute it to the naivete of youth but still, damn, wake up! It's a trap!
    As I've got older and experienced possessiveness I've come to enjoy the complete freedom I have with my other half. If any guy starts chatting me up when we're out he doesn't come storming in like a cave man, but lets me handle things/get rid of them in my own way because he trusts me to do the right thing. He's so easy going that he understands that my bestest friend EVAH is also my first love and has never tried to interfere or put restrictions on our friendship. Most of the time he's the one who drops me off at my Bestie's place and is fine with me camping out there all day if I want and I love him all the more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post

but that attitude made heathcliff a big romantic hero throughout the literary world. :
    I've never understood that. I had to write a huge essay on Wuthering Heights once and by the time I had finished reading the book I was bloody glad that Heathcliff was dead and felt that he and Cathy should have saved themselves and everyone else around them a great deal of misery by dying at the start because they were both dicks.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^^Amen, lol. Both total assholes.

That passage Beeyotch quoted made me grimace when I first read it. The dynamic there is just so unpleasant.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    He behaved like a dick from what she described, the whole pulling her back into her seat, like she's not allowed to leave unless he says, even though he was flirting with someone else in front of her. True, she shouldn't have put up with it, but still a dick move.

And I wouldn't be concerned when a weaker hits someone stronger. I didn't say it was right, just that I'm not concerned that they'll be as hurt. Right or wrong, my sympathy evaporates if you've been a dick.
    Had she hit him while he was forcibly restraining her, she would have been justified. Just to hit him because he made her angry/sad/whatever is NOT okay. If he had turned around and hit her back beating her up, everyone would say that he was wrong.

Nobody said anything about it being justified.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Anjelica Huston is a gutsy, gorgeous, woman who has managed to live life on her own terms. She is a class act.

Btw, that's the first tidbit/quote from GOOP in years that hasn't made me want to force-feed her cup-of-soup, french fries & twinkies. Figures - she was 12 at the time.
    I'm on my phone so it's hard for me to multi quote, but while not necessarily condoning the beating, I don't see the outrage that would be present if it was a man who beat a woman like this

Quote Originally Posted by penname View Post
    I haven't read the book, but I'd guess that this was when she heard Rebecca Broussard was pregnant with his baby. From what I gather, he cheated on her repeatedly, which probably made her want to thrash him anyway, but the last straw was when her rival became pregnant with the baby that she was already upset that she couldn't have. Worse, as if the other women weren't bad enough, and her endometriosis wasn't bad enough, it was clear that he couldn't even be bothered to use a condom. Frankly, I'm surprised she let him live. If I'd been on the jury at her murder trial, I'd have found her not guilty.

Hit By Ban Bus!

"She found his possessiveness attractive.

After watching Nicholson flirt with a model at a restaurant, Huston tried to leave the table only to have the actor pull her back into her seat.
    "Don't ever stand up like that to leave," he reportedly said to her. "I enjoyed his brief flash of possessiveness," she writes."

That would have done it for me.

She enjoyed his possessiveness because her dad was also quite domineering too. She even admitted it in an interview. Apparently her dad was an asshole, and may have treated her like shit, I think. It's not hard imo to know why women seek out men like this. Their dads were like this, and that's what they're used to.

I'm not a huge fan of hers, but if I come across an interview of hers, I'll read it. Even after all these years, she still talks about Jack, even before the release of this book, I remember reading an interview years back, and she was still harping on about Jack, more so than her late husband. He was her long lost love.

I heard some lady say that her husband was real possessive of her and she eventually divorced him because of it. Then later on when she met a nice guy who wasn't like that, she said she felt like he didn't care about her because he wasn't possessive.

Maybe it's not that she necessarily enjoyed his possessiveness, but maybe it was only for that brief second that he gave her the impression that he actually gave a crap about her.

ETA: What he did wasn't a display of possessiveness IMO, that's just how she chose to interpret it. He would have been possessive if he were jealous of another man flirting with her, for example. He was angry that she was walking out on him because he did something wrong and he told her to stay put, that's not being possessive, that's just being an asshole.

Eh, those were distant far-off chauvinistic times and she was behaving like a meek woman and he was behaving (as usual) like an entitled dick. He was an enormous star and bedded everyone in Hollywood, pretty much like Warren Beatty, so it has to be seen in context as to how painful it probably was and how little self-esteem she had.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information