Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Jack Nicholson Mocked the Idea of Marrying Anjelica Huston

I picture it going down like this - best Jack Nicholson breakup scene EVER:

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I didn't realize he was such an asshole. Anjelica should have told him to go piss up a rope.
    Yeah I didn't know he was such a misogynistic asshole. I just thought he was a plain old pussyhound.
    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    still don't understand how any of this justifies her beating him. how would people feel if it were a man beating a woman? i doubt that there would be any digging for justifications ....
    My feeling is that her punches aren't going to hurt him like a man's punch could hurt a woman. Violence isn't acceptable, but there's varying degrees of intensity. Plus he was a total dick so I have no sympathy.
    Belt Up likes this.

I don't buy that. Would you say it is ok for a weaker smaller man to hit a larger stronger man? Violence is violence. Staying in an unhealthy relationship is not an excuse. I also don't see how he was a dick unless he promised her things and then did not deliver. His EXs seem to still adore him because they went in knowing what they could expect. I see it far too ofter when a person is upfront and tells their partner not to expect anything more, but we all want to believe when it is true love they will change their mind. Not gonna happen!
    Kittylady, effie2 and BITTER like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Such a cool pic. Jack looks like such a wise ass. I never saw him that young or short. From what I hear about him, it sounds like he's a lot like the character he played in Terms of Endearment.

I think Anjelica looks lovely there but when I first saw the width of her smile, it reminded me of Twisty the clown's mask in American Horror.

He behaved like a dick from what she described, the whole pulling her back into her seat, like she's not allowed to leave unless he says, even though he was flirting with someone else in front of her. True, she shouldn't have put up with it, but still a dick move.

And I wouldn't be concerned when a weaker hits someone stronger. I didn't say it was right, just that I'm not concerned that they'll be as hurt. Right or wrong, my sympathy evaporates if you've been a dick.

czb

yeah, i completely agree that he was a dick. so not sure why she stayed with him so long, but that is besides the point.

i still don't get why she is proud of punching the guy, there is a kind of bravado that i'm not on board with.
    Kittylady likes this.

ITA. He probably was a dick, but she knew it, stayed, wanted to marry him and have his kids. The story Beeyotch highlights as a sign of him being a dick was one she enjoyed..

After watching Nicholson flirt with a model at a restaurant, Huston tried to leave the table only to have the actor pull her back into her seat. "Don't ever stand up like that to leave," he reportedly said to her. "I enjoyed his brief flash of possessiveness," she writes.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

yup.

and this might be a biased view because the quotes were taken out of context, i have no way to know. i've always been kind of neutral on her, and what i've read here isn't going to make me want to read her book.

I've always liked her but felt that she lacked confidence, and seemed to doubt her own talent, as if she felt she had only gotten so far because of her father.

Well, shame on me, because all the finger waggers who called me out on my comment were absolutely right. A partial explanation, (not an excuse!), is that yesterday was one of my early-onset senior days..... you know, where I searched for over two hours for some vital paperwork I had put "in a safe place" the day before, while the entire theme song from "Mr. Ed" played in a continuous loop in my mind. I remembered every damn word.

Also, I knew her slightly, after her Jack days, and she was lovely... gracious, and genuine

Still no excuse for violence, so mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I see it far too ofter when a person is upfront and tells their partner not to expect anything more, but we all want to believe when it is true love they will change their mind. Not gonna happen!
    And I have been on both sides of this argument, sluce. You always think "I can change him/her if only..." #IT.WILL.NEVER.HAPPEN. That object of affection will soon start taking advantage, and after a while you cannot blame him or her anymore.
    lindsaywhit, sluce and Kittylady like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    gutsy? she beat up a guy when he broked up with her. how would that fly if she had been a man punching a woman?

yeah, jack was a tool but this doesn't make her sound so great, either.
    Actually,he needed killing! I'd have just shot his ass.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Seriously McJag. Angelica thought it was endearing that he didn't want her to walk away and you think he should be killed?

czb

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Well, shame on me, because all the finger waggers who called me out on my comment were absolutely right. A partial explanation, (not an excuse!), is that yesterday was one of my early-onset senior days..... you know, where I searched for over two hours for some vital paperwork I had put "in a safe place" the day before, while the entire theme song from "Mr. Ed" played in a continuous loop in my mind. I remembered every damn word.

Also, I knew her slightly, after her Jack days, and she was lovely... gracious, and genuine

Still no excuse for violence, so mea culpa.
    hey, didn't mean to do a pile-on. even if you had not posted this follow-up, it is ok to disagree.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information