Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Ja Rule's Fyre Festival Has Turned Into A Nightmare

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think he must have that hood pulled too tight or something....
    I figured he was dressed like that because he was a big South Park fan.
    firebrat1229, SHELLEE and Mrs P like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

A*O

Do watch the Netflix docco if you get the chance. It sets out the whole fiasco very well. Ja Rule was just the bait to lure in acts and punters. He’s too dumb to be the conman mastermind - that’s super douche Billy McFarland.
    Brando and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I figured he was dressed like that because he was a big South Park fan.
    "OMG, they killed FyreFestival. Those bastards!"

I love the fact JaRule's new app is called I-Conn. I kid you not. Ya never know, the idiot millenials with lots of dispendable income are just as dumb as the MAGAts and will probably fall for this I-Conn a second time. I got zero sympathy if they do.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Do watch the Netflix docco if you get the chance. It sets out the whole fiasco very well. Ja Rule was just the bait to lure in acts and punters. He’s too dumb to be the conman mastermind - that’s super douche Billy McFarland.
    From start to finish, that documentary was freakin bananas!!

The Netflix Fyre documentary is crazy!

Ja Rule: it's not fraud, it's false advertising"...wow! lol
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post

That was one of my favorite quotes. He is sooo delusional.
    Brando, Mrs P and Daphodil like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post

Ha, tell that to Billy, who's hanging out in prison where he belongs for the next several years! And be thankful your ass isn't in jail too!
    Waterslide likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Ha, tell that to Billy, who's hanging out in prison where he belongs for the next several years! And be thankful your ass isn't in jail too!
    Yeah, I wonder if Ja goes to visit him and sends him care packages, puts a some money on his commissary account...oh wait, probably not.
    Nevan likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

I watched the doc last night. How the hell they thought they could pull this thing off in the first place... remote island, NO infrastructure, in just a few months. They were fucking delusional. I couldn't tell if it was a con from the start or if they were really that stupid.

I used to work for a large non-profit that held international conventions every year, and the amount of work that went into planning that annual event in cities that were used to holding conventions was astounding. They were all idiots.

I love how in the doc you never saw MacFarland without a drink in his hand. He seemed smarmy from the get-go. People who got sucked in by him right away -- I don't get it, he really seemed like he was way out of his depth and was just a big talker... so yeah, a con man.
    Nevan and A*O like this.

I watched the doc this week. To me, it epitomizes our culture. What matters is good PR, marketing, creating buzz to separate people from their money. Substance? Oh don't worry about that! Just make the money and pop the champagne! They were delusional in that they never really considered how much WORK it takes to make things happen. Just Instagram it, tweet it and like magic, it will happen! Billy ends up a pure crook in the end but I think initially he had had so much "success" just creating buzz and selling, he figured the little people would work out the details. He had no skills in actually managing the operation. His hubris would not allow him to listen to said little people when they told him what it would actually take to get it done. Ja Rule is a moron, plain and simple.
    tulip, Nevan, Mrs P and 3 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I watched the doc last night. How the hell they thought they could pull this thing off in the first place... remote island, NO infrastructure, in just a few months. They were fucking delusional. I couldn't tell if it was a con from the start or if they were really that stupid.

I used to work for a large non-profit that held international conventions every year, and the amount of work that went into planning that annual event in cities that were used to holding conventions was astounding. They were all idiots.
    Mrs Mo once worked for a team that was trying to get a frame-relay connection from Maui to a hotel in the big island (Hawaii). It was 1999, and it was like the Manhattan Project trying to get it going when the ISP screwed up. And that is just Internet access. Fyre Festival would have been like that time 1,000, considering the nature of the island.
    tulip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I watched the doc this week. To me, it epitomizes our culture. What matters is good PR, marketing, creating buzz to separate people from their money. Substance? Oh don't worry about that! Just make the money and pop the champagne! They were delusional in that they never really considered how much WORK it takes to make things happen. Just Instagram it, tweet it and like magic, it will happen! Billy ends up a pure crook in the end but I think initially he had had so much "success" just creating buzz and selling, he figured the little people would work out the details. He had no skills in actually managing the operation. His hubris would not allow him to listen to said little people when they told him what it would actually take to get it done. Ja Rule is a moron, plain and simple.
    The thing that made me finally think that this was just a total con job from the start was after Billy had initially been arrested (maybe it was just indicted) for scamming somewhere between $100M-$150M (I think that figure is low, but it's the best I found through google), they film him in a rented PENTHOUSE with a few other guys and they're all the working the phones trying to get investments for something.

Investigators/prosecutors are reaching out to all those idiot "influencers" who did the initial marketing and videos. They got paid. For very little work and it wound up being a bogus festival. I'm not sure legally how they think they're going to recoup money from these idiots but I hope they do.
    Daphodil likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    The thing that made me finally think that this was just a total con job from the start was after Billy had initially been arrested (maybe it was just indicted) for scamming somewhere between $100M-$150M (I think that figure is low, but it's the best I found through google), they film him in a rented PENTHOUSE with a few other guys and they're all the working the phones trying to get investments for something.

Investigators/prosecutors are reaching out to all those idiot "influencers" who did the initial marketing and videos. They got paid. For very little work and it wound up being a bogus festival. I'm not sure legally how they think they're going to recoup money from these idiots but I hope they do.
    Yeah I don't know if it was a total con from the beginning. Billy did hire experienced and talented people. He also spent a small fortune trying to get it done. It's not like he took the money and ran. Other than spending a few months on an island partying like a rock star, how did Billy profit? Maybe he did, I just didn't see in in the doc. My point is, there are easier ways to scam folks. Less obvious ones too.

He seems like a full blown narc who really thought his will would make it happen. When it didn't work out, he def turned to straight up fraud to keep him afloat. In the end, he's straight up pathological in his delusions of grandeur.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I'm pretty sure I read this recently, but McFarland went to jail for wire fraud in the amount of $26M. Where did all that money go because he certainly didn't spend anywhere near that on the festival. While out on bail, he was charged with selling fraudulent tickets to events like the Met Gala, which doesn't sell tickets. He's a con artist.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information