Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Ireland Baldwin: 'Modeling is much harder than I anticipated'

Modelling is hard...? Try getting a real job at minimum wage with no trust fund to fall back on, honey!
    Air Quotes likes this.
    vaya con dios

It probably is hard when you're as plain as a loaf of wonder bread.

You're no Kim Basinger, honey.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Oh please, she had doors opened for her, just based on who her parents are. She should try to get a modelling job without her contacts. Forget about getting a 'real' 9-5 job that barely supports you.

She's really young and pampered. She needs perspective.
    I have a modelling background and beauty pageant history (Please don't snark me about.. too much) and while admittedly it can be somewhat tiring- spending long hours on shoots, waking up at 4am to go and wear a bikini in the freezing cold....
    When models talk about how hard the job is or complain it reminds me a lot of the internet meme- 'first world problems'. While having to get up at 4am for a bikini shoot can be tiring, it doesn't really compare to most other people's work issues.

Its a relatively easy profession and can pay handsomely. It requires very little mental stimulation and the physically hard parts (while different) are probably no worse than someone who has a job where they have to be on their feet all day.
    All in all, it isn't a hard job or a job that takes large amounts of skill or intelligence. Models sometimes are prone to forgetting that their profession exists in a sort of vaccum, they lose perspective. I say that having spent my teens/early twenties in the profession.
    I'm primarily talking about commercial, swimwear etc.

High-fashion runway modelling is different, I've never done it so I can't comment on it.
    Lenny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlameItOnVanity View Post

High-fashion runway modelling is different, I've never done it so I can't comment on it.
    I can! ...Although it's been years and I am sure things have changed. The most difficult part of high fashion modeling (for me) was the constant uncertainty of what you were doing next. And by this I mean in a daily sense; jobs drop off, castings change, money is never guaranteed to come pouring in on schedule. I also saw that a lot of girls lose themselves. That was one of the majorly unappealing aspects of being a model, you aren't really in control like the editor or the photographer (unless you are working with a team that you know well, and then sometimes they will let you have an opinion), you are very limited as far as how creative you can be. It's not a "hard" job compared to say, being a teacher, but it can be very emotionally draining. The constant criticism (self and from others) can take its toll if you have a people-pleaser type of personality. I doubt that Ireland has to contend with much of these issues though, so I'm not really sure what there would be to complain about. Modeling is one of those jobs where if you get into it and everything doesn't fall into place (for the most part) you should probably find a new career.
    BlameItOnVanity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    It's not a "hard" job compared to say, being a teacher, but it can be very emotionally draining. The constant criticism (self and from others) can take its toll if you have a people-pleaser type of personality. Modeling is one of those jobs where if you get into it and everything doesn't fall into place (for the most part) you should probably find a new career.
    Thanks for sharing your story on that side of modelling.
    IA. It can be emotionally draining but I suppose many jobs can be. I also think like you say about people-pleasers, there are certain personality types who should avoid pursuing modelling careers. I also have heard all about the exploitation of young high fashion models who live away from their families.
    In some senses I think modelling is really unique career, I struggle to think of anything else quite like it.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information