Page 75 of 93 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1394
Like Tree3582Likes

Thread: Inbred Rich People: The Royalty Thread Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    diana's wedding dress was completely tragic
    Amen.

Ruffles and bows galore, and it influenced countless wedding and prom dresses back then. Awful.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I don't know what you guys are talking about! 7-year old me thought Diana's gown was the height of wedding fashun! OK, maybe my views have altered on that point a bit over the decades. The sleeves were just insane. I thought I read that Diana actually didn't like it after the fact, either? Maybe not.

This is semi-interesting. It's from Quora so take that as you will. I think it's a bit of excuse making, but the part about wanting the dress literally to be huge kind of makes sense given the time period.

Why was Diana’s wedding gown so awful? Catherine’s gown was lovely, but Diana looked like a poofy mess.

Originally Answered: Why was Diana’s wedding gown so awful? Catherine’s gown was lovely, but Diana looked a poofy mess.

Princess Diana chose her dress for two reasons. One was to give the honor to a British designer.
    The other had something to do with her already evolving awareness, at just age twenty, of what it meant to be in the public eye.
    Television cameras in 1981 were not nearly as good as they are today. The ceremony would be broadcast worldwide, with cameras only able to see so much of the detail of the royal couple.
    Diana took the same approach with her appearance that Queen Elizabeth does now. Have you noticed that Queen Elizabeth always wears extremely bright colors - neon yellow and citrus and fuchsia? She does so because she is often in crowds and she knows people came just to see her. So she wants to be sure they won't miss her.
    Diana's object was the same. She requested the designer create a very theatrical dress with exaggerated lines designed to have high visibility at a distance. The immense sleeves, the overstated ruffled collar, the huge bow on the front, the giant cathedral train, the massive waterfall of the floral bouquet in white, green, cream and yellow, all were designed to televise an image. Even the dress's color, a soft ivory, was a better color for the cameras, less likely to blow out image contrast. Pure white would have obliterated many details and distorted the tone of everyone and everything around it.
    All those textures, colors, and shapes were designed to catch the light just so.
    Diana realized British well-wishers, now her subjects, had traveled, slept out in the parks and streets overnight, just to get a glimpse of her carriage, sometimes from quite a distance. She wanted them to be able to see her.
    If you think this attitude is conceited, recall that Princess Diana was no longer a private citizen. She was ascending to become a member of the British royal family. She was conscious that her appearance mattered to her subjects. To be able to be seen was literally part of her full-time job, day in and day out, for almost the rest of her life.
    She accomplished this goal. The funny thing is that she also set off a trend. Everybody wanted to have a dress just like Diana's after it was seen. It didn't stop with her wedding gown, either. Often, when she wore an article of clothing from a retail store, it would fly off the shelves overnight.
    When you look at wedding gowns throughout the eighties, brides all wanted the same poofy dress as Princess Diana's.
    It's not that Diana was following any awful fashion. It's that in taking care of her own concerns she managed to start a worldwide trend that reverberated for years.
    Decades later, Duchess Catherine had the benefit of jumbotrons, high definition television cameras, and more discretion to pare down when she designed her gown. She also set off a new era of wedding gown fashion. The strapless white ballgowns that for years had passed for wedding gowns were replaced almost overnight by dresses with demure lace sleeves and narrow V-necks.
    For good or ill, people do watch the famous and noble to see what they are wearing and then they imitate the fashion.

Duchess Catherine and Princess Diana were both products of their time and their environment in this respect.

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Diana-...e-a-poofy-mess
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; March 26th, 2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: made it less grey
    Shinola likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I coveted my white Laura Ashley shirt. I wore it for catering with black pants. The shirt was a very modified style of Diana's sleeves and shoulders. That was the style then. It didn't last long. Similar to this but mine had a high neck. I've told the story before - I was catering and Eli Wallach plunked his sugar cubes into his coffee on a tray I was holding. He was so so sorry (so the hell was I). His lovely wife tried to get the stain out. They were sweet.

That's an amazing story, Chalet! And anyway, I like the shirt in that pic a lot. I love early 80s clothes. They were kind of a really cool blend of Victorian, Edwardian, 40s, and space age.
    czb, sputnik and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

You just reminded me of my Pat Benatar look alike outfit in purple and black. Had the shirt, belt and leggings. That's what I call two totally different styles, but I think a lot of us worn them both.

In summation regarding Diana's wedding gown: It was the 80's. That overblown shit was totally in.

No need for lengthy missives.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Amen.

Ruffles and bows galore, and it influenced countless wedding and prom dresses back then. Awful.
    She did look like a toilet paper thingie that old ladies knit. I can’t believe that Fergie had a nicer gown than Diana.

Of course, Fergie still had that face.
    czb and louiswinthorpe111 like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

King Felipe on a visit to the COVID emergency hospital set up inside IFEMA with the Ministers of Health and Defense, the Minister of Health of Madrid, the Mayor of Madrid and the director of IFEMA.

Testing to see if this Instagram link works..

yanna, CornFlakegrl and effie2 like this.

I thought Diana's dress was gorgeous, best thing ever and asked to wear something similar and dress up as a bride for the carnival. I was like 6 years old though... Even now I don't think it's that bad. It was the 80s
    Beeyotch, DawnM74 and tiggle like this.

Diana’s dress was technically bad but super memorable. It was more of an event than a garment.
    DawnM74 likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

In a further sign things aren’t looking good for newspaper sales, the Daily Mail has asked its journalists - when they can - to check newsagents and stores whether they're displaying the newspaper properly and report back to the commercial team what they find.

Questions Daily Mail journalists are to be asking newsagents:"•Have they seen an increase in newspaper customers?•If they need extra copies, how many more do they need?•Are they aware that their customers can receive the paper through home delivery?"

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/statu...81491981635584

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

You can go into any Newsagents around here and there will always be copies of the DM. Even if it's 8pm and everything else has sold out.
    mostroop likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Apparently, the UK needs more birdcages.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I hope Charles will be okay. I will also point out that ordinary people in Scotland cannot get tested unless severely ill and hospitalized afaik, and Charles entered Scotland after orders to stay in place had already been issued. I’ve seen a handful of elite calling this virus a great equalizer. It can certainly infect anyone, but after that there is nothing equal about it.
    It's ridiculous that he's getting shit for going to Scotland on Sunday when I was following idiots taking their caravans to the coast two days ago!!!

Fuck I feel dirty now defending this lot.

Thread Information