Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1141
Like Tree2909Likes

Thread: Inbred Rich People: The Royalty Thread Part 3

Silver Member

Regarding Kate taking a less stiff speaking style, she needs to drop the put on posh accent and just talk with her normal speech pattern. I read she started using it when she was still in college to hide her middle class roots and it's only gotten worse since she married into the royal family.

Iím just going to admit it. I donít understand the hoopla around Diana. Iíve never found her particularly interesting and thought that the media obsession over her was weird. I donít see ďit.Ē I never want to say this because people seem to love her so much. I donít get it.
    Sleuth, Flygirl, Kittylady and 4 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I’m just going to admit it. I don’t understand the hoopla around Diana. I’ve never found her particularly interesting and thought that the media obsession over her was weird. I don’t see “it.” I never want to say this because people seem to love her so much. I don’t get it.
    I feel that way about the whole BRF. They aren’t very smart, charming, funny, or good looking. They are extremely blah, and I’ve never really understood the appeal.

^^ I’m with you. I also never got her appeal and never bought the “saintly” spin that the media was trying to sell.
    Kittylady likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

^ Well it was pre-internet days (luckily for her!) We can all get info and counter-info a lot quicker now. The magic is gone.
    Sleuth likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

That’s a good point. I feel like she would have been the equivalent to what Meghan is for me now.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Diana was messy, and the press, IIRC, swung psychotically between adoration and ripping her to shreds, but she was always, always, good for circulation. She also knew how to play the press and use them, even while complaining about their intrusion. (Sound familiar?)

I think she appealed to people because she was pretty and innocent in the beginning, and very quickly became pretty glamorous - certainly much more glamorous and appealing than anyone else in the royal menagerie, including Princess Margaret, who despised her. I think it would have faded some except her life became a Greek tragedy, featuring Camilla the Rottweiler and Charles the Cad, and also, Diana had a huge heart and was drawn to the outcasts of society - victims of landmines, orphaned and starving children and the lepers of our modern world, people afflicted with AIDS. She touched them, literally, without gloves - and that was HUGE. I truly believe she changed the world, and the world's attitude towards AIDS sufferers.

Then, you know, she died... in a horrific but rather spectacular fashion, and it just seemed impossible that she was gone, and the world freaked out, and we will never have discussions about whether she got too much botox, or went overboard with the fillers and she'll always be that beautiful, charismatic, tragic woman who made a difference.

I remember getting up crazy early with my great aunt to watch Diana and Charles' wedding when I was 10yo. My great aunt, whom I was very close to, was very enamored of her and it rubbed off on me. I remember the night of the crash, I was up late watching well into the wee hours of the morning on the then brand spanking new MSNBC channel (they didn't even have map graphics, they had to use paper maps to show where the crash occurred). I remember Brian Williams' kind of stumbling over the words that Diana had in fact passed (the coverage for the crash went on for many hours before her death was announced). I think what made her special to me was how much she loved her boys (and it really showed) and her bringing a lot of awareness to her pet charities. She was one of the first celebrities to be shown holding hands with AIDS patients. Back then, that was powerful. I accept that she was a bit broken, but that just made me appreciate and like her even more.
    Last edited by Nevan; March 25th, 2020 at 06:51 PM.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post

Diana was messy, and the press, IIRC, swung psychotically between adoration and ripping her to shreds, but she was always, always, good for circulation. She also knew how to play the press and use them, even while complaining about their intrusion. (Sound familiar?)

I think she appealed to people because she was pretty and innocent in the beginning, and very quickly became pretty glamorous - certainly much more glamorous and appealing than anyone else in the royal menagerie, including Princess Margaret, who despised her. I think it would have faded some except her life became a Greek tragedy, featuring Camilla the Rottweiler and Charles the Cad, and also, Diana had a huge heart and was drawn to the outcasts of society - victims of landmines, orphaned and starving children and the lepers of our modern world, people afflicted with AIDS. She touched them, literally, without gloves - and that was HUGE. I truly believe she changed the world, and the world's attitude towards AIDS sufferers.

Then, you know, she died... in a horrific but rather spectacular fashion, and it just seemed impossible that she was gone, and the world freaked out, and we will never have discussions about whether she got too much botox, or went overboard with the fillers and she'll always be that beautiful, charismatic, tragic woman who made a difference.
    this. and i didn't even like her, in fact i found her quite annoying when she was alive. i've warmed to her over time, probably because she's not in our face in the media all the time. also, in my old age lol, i've become more tolerant of people younger me wrote off as too needy and histrionic, but not interesting or creative enough to make the narcissism worth it. i definitely see the marilyn monroe parallels though, and in the case of both women i went from finding them annoying to somewhat warming up to them over time.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^That's a really good way of putting it. I loved her as a kid (I remember my Dad waking me up at some obscene hour so I could watch the wedding), hated her as a teenager, and then warmed up to her slowly (maybe only weeks) before she died and ever since. She was only 19 when she got married and I'd have been messy as hell if I were in her position, too. I kind of understand it. And I think she genuinely loved her sons and just wanted some freedom. I don't think she knew what she was signing up for either. I don't know if anyone does, but I also think there is a reason for Waity Katie. She had some time to thicken her skin.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    this. and i didn't even like her, in fact i found her quite annoying when she was alive. i've warmed to her over time, probably because she's not in our face in the media all the time. also, in my old age lol, i've become more tolerant of people younger me wrote off as too needy and histrionic, but not interesting or creative enough to make the narcissism worth it. i definitely see the marilyn monroe parallels though, and in the case of both women i went from finding them annoying to somewhat warming up to them over time.
    This makes sense. It also makes even more sense for me because Marilyn Monroe is another that I’m just flabbergasted by the adulation about. I’ve never understood Marilyn’s appeal either. Now that one makes people mad, but... I don’t think Marilyn was particularly beautiful or interesting either. I do like some of her movies, however, and I DO find her death very suspicious.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Diana and Harry are the most interesting ones. Or should I say likable.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!Ē Anonymous Introvert

No idea the accuracy of this:

By Pete Nicoll

Prince Charles wasn't feeling well.

Prince Charles was also aware that several members of his staff and servants weren't feeling too good.

So, what did the Prince do?

He decided that, as he wasn't feeling well, now would be a good time for him and all his hangers-on to head for that holiday home in the Highlands of Scotland. Where it transpired that the Prince and 8 of his staff had the coronavirus.

That's right, a total of NINE people in the Prince's household, all of whom had just moved up from London, have the virus. Remember those instructions to "STAY HOME", don't go to a holiday home in the Highlands because you could be spreading the virus to an area without the facilities to cope?
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

^Ugh.

I know this is a tangent, but there are no rules anymore, so humor me...this entire coronavirus thing is triggering tons of memories of movie and TV scenes and now I keep thinking of that episode of The Tudors when the sweating sickness hit. The king runs out to the country (and I imagine it looks just like that pic of Charles up there), leaving behind Anne Boleyn. There is a scene where Anne sees her servant exhibit symptoms - and it was the first time that version of Anne seems human - and she hugs her and tells her she'll be OK, but the servant isn't OK. Then, on the way back to Hever Castle, Anne realizes she's come down with it and becomes hysterical, jumping out of the carriage and pulling at her clothes. They used to say that people would eat breakfast and be dead by dinner or something to that effect. But strangely, that virus vanished and we aren't even sure what it was.

I also remember in Wolf Hall, Cromwell leaving the house and going about his day only to return home to find his wife had died. Those are some haunting scenes.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

czb

i never found diana interesting. but yeah, she was the first royal that wasn't a total barking pumpkin and wore some clothes that weren't hideous. i'm sure margaret was pretty stylish in her day but that was before my time. but diana's wedding dress was completely tragic. can you imagine having that much bank and THAT was the dress you decided on?

the most interesting thing about diana was when charles said he wanted to be camilla's tampon. other than that, these people never had my attention.
    sputnik likes this.

Thread Information