Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224
Results 3,346 to 3,352 of 3352
Like Tree6863Likes

Thread: Inbred Rich People: The Royalty Thread Part 2

Demanding Builder Told the Queen Not to Serve His Tea in a Fancy Cup—She Brought it Just the Way He Liked it

Tom Sykes

Updated 09.19.19 9:07AM ET Published 09.19.19 6:51AM ET

Simon Dawson/REUTERS

In the complicated love-hate relationship between the British builder and his skittish employer, the British homeowner, there is one talisman and touchstone of how well or how badly things are going: tea.

If a builder refuses a cup of tea, it’s often taken as a coded message that he doesn’t really trust or like his employer, and can be an early warning sign that things other than the milk might end up going sour. But, by the same token, if he starts making himself eight cups a day and kicking back with his crew in the sunshine, that can also be a sign that your new kitchen extension definitely won’t be ready by Christmas.[/COLOR]

When placing their tea order, many builders rejoice in being more fussy than Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally as they reel off the exact amount of milk and sugar they require, and specify whether the spoon and teabag should be left in or out of the mug.

One builder working at Buckingham Palace, according to a new documentary, pushed these customs to the limit when he got into the detail of the vessel he wanted his tea server.

While working underneath a table in one of the palace’s grander private rooms, the builder responded to a disembodied female voice asking him if he would like a cup of tea by replying: “Yeah. In a mug. Two sugars. Builder’s tea. I don’t want any of that nonsense I had the last time I was here, all that fine china and all that saucer stuff. "

A few minutes later, the well-spoken woman returned and said: “I’ve put your tea on the table here.”

He peered up and saw the familiar outline of the Queen leaving the room.

The story is related by Kevin Andrews, the former royal upholsterer to the late Queen Mother, in a forthcoming Channel 5 show Secrets of the Royal

The documentary also reveals that there used to be a bar at Buckingham Palace, but it was shut down after staff got “worse for wear" once too often.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/demand...-it?ref=scroll
    SHELLEE, palta, twitchy2.0 and 8 others like this.

oooh! guess who's not getting a knighthood!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I adore her.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

I kinda like that he just wanted tea and no extra fluff and I love that the Queen brought it to him.

The documentary also reveals that there used to be a bar at Buckingham Palace, but it was shut down after staff got “worse for wear" once too often.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/demand...-it?ref=scroll
    Staff are civil servants & the service has a zero tolerance on alcohol. Lots of departments had “clubs” in the basement (etc) that have been closed due to the Tory introduction of the zero tolerance.

I wonder if Charles' club is still open at Highgrove (supposedly built for William and Harry?)
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Mega-threads being closed. Kindly start new one for this subject if necessary. Kick-ass thread title is mandatory.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Thread Information