Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I won't be leaving my children a penny, says Nigella Lawson

It's her money and she can do what she wants with it. If she's raising her children to be solid, independent and self-reliant individuals, they should have no problems emulating their current lifestyle. It doesn't hurt that their parents' celebrity probably provides them with amazing opportunities, elite education and business/social contacts.

Gold Member

If my kids were Paris,for the lack of a better word. I wouldn't give them a dollar either.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    It's her money and she can do what she wants with it. If she's raising her children to be solid, independent and self-reliant individuals, they should have no problems emulating their current lifestyle. It doesn't hurt that their parents' celebrity probably provides them with amazing opportunities, elite education and business/social contacts.
    Yeah, it's not like she's putting them out on the street. Just because she won't give them her entire fortune, doesn't mean that they won't be wearing the best clothes, drive the most expensive cars, get the best education, have the best opportunities.

With all the drug addicted, messed up celebrity children around, I can see where she's coming from.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It's funny. I saw this article online and started reading the comments and was shocked at how people responded. The vast majority thought she was a selfish cow for saying this, while I thought she would be applauded for being sensible. There is no reason to leave her money to her kids unless she really wants to, although I'm guessing she'll probably set up funds that come to the fore when they are already established.

It's also my guess that because this is the 2nd or 3rd story about arguments/disagreements with her husband, that there may be a breakup in the offing.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Not sure about Italian, but she's Jewish through and through.
    Actually I'm not sure if she's Italian! Its just that I saw her cooking show one morning and I told my Mum that it was really good and Nigella is really beautiful and she said 'Yeah she's italian'. (Which seems to be what she says about any dark haired gorgeous woman!) Maybe because of the 'Nigella'. I don't know for sure. I just googled it and nothing came up so I guess not.

A*O

Her father's name is Nigel - I guess he named his daughter after himself. No ego there LOL She was on a UK show called "Who Do You Think You Are" where celebs trace their ancestry using genealogy and public records and as far as I recall both sides of her family are European Ashkenazi (sp?) Jews going way back, originally from Poland or thereabouts. There's a Dutch Jewish connection too and of course she has several ancestors who perished in the Holocaust.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I've followed Nigella for many years. She's a lovely person who has had an unfortunate amount of death in her immediate family. Very sad. Work could very well have been therapeutic for her during that time, but there's no doubt that she loves what she does. She has a bundle of her own money and is married to a rich man. She really doesn't have to work anymore, but she continues to do so. I imagine her children will be just fine and she most likely will leave them something. In the meantime, she certainly shouldn't be bashed for teaching them a good work ethic.

In case anyone is interested, her sisters' names are Thomasina and Horatia. Thomasina is the one who passed away. Horatia made an appearance on an old episode of Nigella Bites. And speaking of shows, her father was on Nigella Express recently. It showed them all having dinner together. One of her kids asked her why she liked to cook and she replied that it was the only practical thing she was good at.

I don't care for her. I do like this about her though, I kinda agree with her about them needing to be able to support themselves. However, I find her very annoying, uncouth, sloppy and she only makes hog slop of her food.......and don't get me started on her constant "O" face and the licking of her fingers. ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    However, I find her very annoying, uncouth, sloppy and she only makes hog slop of her food.......
    I don't get what you're saying here. Uncouth? I've never gotten that impression [but maybe I'm uncouth as well ]. Sloppy? In what way? Nigella Bites and Forever Summer were filmed in her own home, which was very nice, homey and lots of books [which I love!]. She always looks nice too, very well put together. Hog slop? Her food is gorgeous. I have had very good luck with her recipes and everyone I've served them to has enjoyed them very much.

^ I find any cook that licks their fingers and then proceeds to cook uncouth. It's nasty.
    I am sure some of her recipes probably are good. The episodes that I have watched just weren't worthy of being aired on tv. Anyone can take day old bread, break in to chunks and pour warm milk over it.

Like I said, I don't like her that much, so I haven't watched a lot of her shows. Maybe some are better than the ones I have watched.

And I don't find you to be uncouth

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    And I don't find you to be uncouth

I think that her hubby can do what he wants with his money and she can or can choose not to leave it to her kids - as she chooses.

I think that its a lot more than just being given money that turns kids into the Paris Hiltons of this world, but maybe being raised by nannies etc will do that to you? I think that I've said before that I've know the offspring of phenominally rich people, some are a-holes and some arn't - up bringing had a lot to do with it.

I have to admit that I'm not nec a fan of her cooking, but jeez, its her money, she earned it, she can do what she likes with it. If she wants to leave it to the local cat/dog/hospice that's her privelidge.

Hit By Ban Bus!

split up the money and give some to charity, or spaca for animals and some to her kids. but whatever, its her decision.

Response from Nigella regarding this article:

You might have noticed in the press that I have (apparently) cut my children out of my will, cruel mother that I am. Of course I have no intention of leaving my children destitute and starving - rather, this is a story that came from a comment I made about my belief that you have to work in order to learn the value of money.

I have always said of my children that once they have finished university or training, whatever education they choose, they have to support themselves through work, as I did, but I have never discussed the details of my will with anyone. The story that has been circulating is not a true reflection of my intentions and, although I'd normally ignore it, I want to set the record, not least to spare my children continuing embarrassment.

Nigella.com

Thanks aabbcc!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information