Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I won't be leaving my children a penny, says Nigella Lawson

when my dad made out his will, he set it up like this: upon his death, i got 1/2 of his money. 5 yrs after his death i got the other half, in between i got interest off of it. at first i was pissed, but after it was all said and done, it was the right thing to do. i'd have pissed it away a lot faster if i'd have received it all at once.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Umm.. well seeing how the majority of that $200 mil is her husbands, I dont think she's in a place to talk...

^^ Don't women generally live longer than men? He's a few years older than her.

I don't see how her children are "entitled" to her money. They sure as hell didn't work for it. She will do her job as a parent, by raising them, emotionally,mentally, blah blah. Once they are in the real world it is THEIR JOB...to well either go to school or for some sort of career.

So sick of lazy ass people thinking their damn parents are suppose to support them their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Well yeah I agree that spoiled trustfund children are the farthest thing from what I want my children to turn out to be, and Im sure thats her intentions, but really there is a way around that. To not leave them a single dime is just hateful. I still say she seems bitter.
    I'm with you. She sounds like a nasty cow to me.

For one thing: the world we live in isn't the one our kids and grandkids will inherit. IMO things are not going to get better, what with global warming, overpopulation, and a generally plummeting quality of life and skyrocketing cost of living. My Grandad was able to buy a nice home on a midlevel blue collar salary--in CA yet! But now that dream is getting dangerously out of reach for most folks. I've got a nasty feeling our descendants are gonna need all the help they can get; I've worked hard all my life and I don't make a horrible salary by any means, but if it weren't for a little legacy from my Gran, I probably wouldn't own a home. I thank her for it every day, I really do.

For two: she shouldn't be worrying too much about her kids turning out like Parisite, Lindsay, Twitters, etc....unless she herself has been a lousy mom. Like all those girls' moms. If she's raised 'em right there most likely won't be problems. For instance, look at Donald Trump's daughter. She doesn't seem like TOO much of a loser. From what I've heard, anyway...

For three: there are these things called TRUST FUNDS. And they DON'T mean kids just get all the dough they want, when they want it. You can set them up with just enough basic income to make their lives a bit better than they might otherwise have been, without giving them enough liquid cash to tempt them into lifestyles of addiction and infamy, or make them unduly appealing to the leeches of the world.

You can also set up a nice retirement fund and not even tell 'em about it, so that if they just happen to end up not being big earners in life, they won't spend their last years living in unheated apts, riding public transit with the crazies, etc.

Jeez. I won't be buying her books. I'll just borrow my friend's.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    when my dad made out his will, he set it up like this: upon his death, i got 1/2 of his money. 5 yrs after his death i got the other half, in between i got interest off of it. at first i was pissed, but after it was all said and done, it was the right thing to do. i'd have pissed it away a lot faster if i'd have received it all at once.
    Thank you, that's exactly the sort of thing I mean!

Oh, and it fries my biscuit that Lawson had to brag about this publicly, too. To me, family finance is one of those areas that SHOULD be totally private.

Gold Member

I think she should wait to see how her kids turn out before she makes decisions like that.

If they turn out like Paris then don't leave them a cent. But if they turn out to be responsible kids with a work ethic and know how to live to a budget them leave them something.

I will be happy to leave my daughter everything I have as I know if she becomes entitled it will be due to my parenting. My dearest wish for her is to be a kind and empathetic person who finds a job or career she enjoys. So far she is doing me proud and if she keeps going the ways she is she will do good things with my money.

I bet those kids cannot wait to leave her. Nasty cow. Talking like this in public demeans her kids. I think fmaily matters should be kept out of the papers.

Any way maybe her husband will outlive her, as with the diet she has she is bound to have heart problems.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    ^^ Don't women generally live longer than men? He's a few years older than her.
    I was going in the direction that it's really not her money to decide to leave or not to leave to her children. Sure, she'd be able to live very well off of just her earnings, but the fact that she's married to an enormously wealthy man allows her to live this life of luxury she thinks her kids dont deserve. Not saying she should leave them everything, but it does seem like she made this statement out of bitterness.

I think that leaving them something, even with stipulations, couldn't hurt. But i do agree that too much money and they wouldn't be motivated to find their own way. I think i understand where she's coming from. I'm sure she sees useless, rich trash like Paris and shudders to think that her and her husbands children could turn out like that if they aren't careful. It would hurt my heart if my child turned out to be like Paris. That being said, I think it would be cold and unfair to leave them nothing, especially after they've been brought up in luxury.

Hmmm...well I have to wonder how much of her own money and success are due in part to her family's wealth, and her rich husband?

Not saying she hasn't done well for herself, but she didn't exactly have humble beginnings.

when my mom died she left me and my sister some money from her funeral and to make sure we would be ok. it was from her life insurance. i am 22 and have my dad and all but the money i did get went into paying my last yr of school instead of loans and its not going to make me think less of the situation. i apprciate it and ill always work hard to provide for my kids

A*O

Our kids won't see a cent until they are 25 (if we both die between now and then). The money will be controlled by a trustee who will ensure they have what they need to go to college and for basic living expenses but no more. They will have to work for the rest. It's lunacy to allow an 18yr old access to even a few thousand dollars.

To give Nigella credit (and I love her books), she did raise those kids while forging her TV career AND supporting her husband through years of nasty oral cancer and futile chemo and radio therapy. Cooking was HER therapy and she used to spend long nights in the kitchen while the kids and deperately sick husband were upstairs asleep. It must have been a terrible time and I'm glad she's been able to find happiness again.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^^Yes, I don't get all the hate directed her way. She went through a lot, rich or not and she's still smiling.

What everyone else said - i cant really add anything that hasn't already been said.

By the way, she's beautiful! She looks fantastic for her age. Italian genes are good ones. My Mum is 48 and looks 29.

A*O

Not sure about Italian, but she's Jewish through and through. I think she's gorgeous too and her recipes are fantastic - especially if you aren't worried about your arteries getting furred up overnight.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information