Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree680Likes

Thread: Hell freezes over. Oh, and George Clooney is engaged.

Looking like Nancy fucking Reagan in that tweed suit, spindly old lady legs and all.
    greysfang and effie2 like this.

Bee,you are killing me!
    Beeyotch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Cold ,black hearted assholes the lot of you!
    Thank you! (curtsies)
    twitchy2.0 and Bombshell like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    Thank you! (curtsies)
    are you offended or flattered?

Both! Leaning toward flattered because at heart I am a vindictive beeyotch.
    twitchy2.0 and Bombshell like this.

Elite Member

Why Amal Clooney is battling Tony Blair’s wife

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/why-amal-clooney-is-battling-tony-blair’s-wife/ar-AAeFLZF?li=AAabC8j&ocid=

The Washington Post
    Ishaan Tharoor 2 hrs ago

AP Photo/Amr Nabil Amal Clooney.

Amal Clooney, an internationally renowned human rights lawyer, is known for attracting high-profile cases. In the past year alone, she represented Armenia in the European Court of Human Rights, sparred with the Egyptian government over the independence of its judiciary, and argued the case of the Chagos Islanders, an Indian Ocean people forced out of their homeland to make way for what's now a U.S. airbase.

Now, Clooney's focus is on another nearby Indian Ocean archipelago — the Maldives. Clooney has been lobbying on behalf of jailed former president Mohamed Nasheed, who was sentenced to 13 years in prison in March following a widely derided court case that WorldViews detailed at the time:

Nasheed and his supporters maintain that the charges are "blatantly politicized" and designed to snuff out any chance that he could contest an election again. Two of the three judges presiding over the trial also appeared as witnesses for the prosecution. Nasheed's lawyers quit in protest four days ago, arguing that they had not been given adequate time to prepare a defense.

In an April article in the Guardian, Clooney described Nasheed's imprisonment as a "mockery of justice, designed to punish him for criticizing the government and remove him as a political threat."

In 2008, Nasheed, who had already spent years in jail as a political prisoner, won the Maldives's first genuinely democratic presidential election, ending more than three decades of de facto dictatorship under the long-ruling autocrat Maumoon Abdul Gayoom.

But he was compelled to step down in 2012 following what some described as a coup led by elements of the old regime. "You can get rid of a dictator, but you can’t get rid of a dictatorship," he lamented to me at the time.

Now, allies of Gayoom are firmly in power and appear bent on breaking Nasheed and his political movement, the Maldivian Democratic Party. In late August, MDP officials complained of authorities harassing Nasheed's family. The former president, who was under house arrest since July 19, was also arbitrarily taken back to prison, much to Clooney's chagrin.

The move, Clooney fumed, showed the Maldivian government's "complete disregard for the rule of law." Earlier this month, she visited Nasheed in his jail cell on a Maldivian atoll. She subsequently announced a firm plan of action.

"The next stage will be to pursue targeted sanctions, travel bans and any other action and recourse that we have against the government until this matter is resolved," Clooney told reporters. She appears to have the backing of prominent officials within the British government.

Welcomed Laila Ali, former President Nasheed’s wife, and Amal Clooney to the FCO to discuss the Maldives.But Clooney and Nasheed's legal team are up against another high-profile lawyer, Cherie Blair, wife of former British prime minister Tony Blair, whose firm, Omnia Strategy, is representing the current Maldivian government.

"The call for sanctions is inappropriate and unjustified," Blair recently told Agence France-Presse, arguing that it "threatens the economic stability of the Maldives," whose economy is largely dependent on tourism.

According to the Daily Mail, British authorities barred Blair from attending a scheduled meeting between Britain's Foreign Office Minister Hugo Swire and Maldivian Foreign Minister Dunya Maumoon. When it appeared Blair would not be present, Maumoon canceled the meeting.

"The usual protocol is for ministers of different governments to talk directly to each other. They do not need expensive lawyers to be present," a "diplomatic source" told the British tabloid. "Mrs Blair's presence at such a meeting would have been totally inappropriate. ... It suggests the Maldives government knows it is on very flaky ground legally. Why else would their foreign minister want a lawyer at her side?"

The Blairs have acquired a somewhat problematic reputation since Tony Blair left office in 2007. The former prime minister, who is still lambasted for his role in pushing the 2003 invasion of Iraq, has gone on to build a lucrative career at the head of private consultancy. Some of his major clients include a host of moneyed and often authoritarian regimes, particularly in the Middle East.

His wife's current legal battle with Clooney, the object of endless fawning by fashion and gossip mags, won't do much to improve their image.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

It makes a good story but they are both lawyers.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

"Two of the three judges presiding over the trial also appeared as witnesses for the prosecution."

Well, that's a bit of a red flag there.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

And the quoted press coverage is from a leftwing broadsheet & a rightwing tabloid that probably described Blair as having"nice pins"....

Am I the only one who is disappointed and confused that she's taken Clooney's name?

No. Because she's an attention seeker, exploiting his fame. Can't stand her.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    And the quoted press coverage is from a leftwing broadsheet & a rightwing tabloid that probably described Blair as having"nice pins"....
    Novice and Bombshell like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    For a second I thought it said "described Blair as having 'a nice penis'"...!

Well, this is GR, after all.
    Novice likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I'm back again just to say I'm not buying this humanitarian stuff. She's totally into getting facetime in the media. Can't stand her.

I'd rather read about Tom & Gisele.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    I'm back again just to say I'm not buying this humanitarian stuff. She's totally into getting facetime in the media. Can't stand her.

I'd rather read about Tom & Gisele.
    Whats to "buy"? Thats probably the most honest part of her
    Clooney worked at Sullivan & Cromwell in New York City for three years as part of the Criminal Defense and Investigations Group, where her clients included Enron and Arthur Andersen.[18][21] She worked in the Office of the Prosecutor at the UN Special Tribunal for Lebanon and at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.[25]
    LondonEdit

Clooney returned to Britain in 2010,[26] where she became a barrister in London (Bar of England & Wales, Inner Temple) at Doughty Street Chambers.[18] In 2013 Clooney was appointed to a number of United Nations commissions, including as adviser to Special Envoy Kofi Annan on Syria and as Counsel to the 2013 Drone Inquiry by UN human rights rapporteur Ben Emmerson QC into the use of drones in counter-terrorism operations.[22][27]

She has been involved in high-profile cases representing the state of Cambodia, the former Libyan intelligence chief Abdallah Al Senussi, Yulia Tymoshenko[28] and Julian Assange, and is an adviser to the King of Bahrain in connection with the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry headed by Professor M. Cherif Bassiouni.

Elite Member

Guess what peeps? ..more Amal and Georgy Porgy stuff

George Clooney: 'I feel like an idiot talking to my own wife'

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/george-clooney-i-feel-like-an-idiot-talking-to-my-own-wife/ar-AAf2ZPW

Wonderwall
    Mark Gray 10 hrs ago

REX Shutterstock The couple recently celebrated their one-year anniversary.

In every relationship, there's always one person smarter than the other. In George Clooney's case, he's not the brains in his marriage.

"Often times I feel like an idiot talking to my own wife," he told the New York Daily News. "It's never good."

George has praised his wife in numerous interviews and many have poked fun at him, considering Amal Clooney is a human rights attorney and George is, well, an actor. (He's also a philanthropist, but that's neither here, nor there.)

Earlier this year at the Golden Globes, Tina Fey ribbed him while lauding Amal.

Amal, she said, is a "human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case, an adviser to Kofi Annan on Syria and was appointed to a three-person commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza strip," Fey paused, "So tonight her husband is getting a lifetime achievement award."

In September, she went to the Maldives to meet with Mohamed Nasheed, the country's former president who is currently imprisoned for "terrorism." Amal has called his imprisonment "arbitrary and in violation of international law." She is working pro bono to defend the country's first democratically-elected president.

The couple recently celebrated their one-year anniversary, which included dinner at a place of Amal's choosing because George admits he's "a creature of habit" and will go to the same spot over and over again.

"I might want to just go down the street to the same sushi bar that I could eat four nights a week," he said. "And she's like, 'No that's not going to happen. Not for the anniversary we're not going to do that.'"

Sounds like George has met his match in more ways than one.

Thread Information