Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Like Tree680Likes

Thread: Hell freezes over. Oh, and George Clooney is engaged.

No, I see it quite a bit as well. And it depresses me.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

i find it very strange.

so, you are seeing it in NY as well? hmmm. not just here, then.

I don't know if it's New York necessarily but I've noticed it among women I know who live in many different places. And yes, I know it's a woman's choice and all of that but I wish we could stop pretending that it's an innocent choice because it's not, far from it. Until there are just as many men taking their wives' last names as there are women taking their husbands', it will continue to bug the shit out of me.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

not sure if it is anti-feminist or what.

i am just seeing a throwback to more traditional family situations... mom is the stay at home, dad works. of course. here, it is a luxury to live like that since i am in a place (like NY) with a high cost of living and not many people can afford to have a single breadwinner. but i will say that in our circle, there are a few stay at home dads, too.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm probably going to use my present surname as an initial to break up my married name. We've spoken about it and he's fine with me keeping my own name if that's what I want to do and to be quite honest I have no familial tradition with or affection for my surname so I don't have an issue with giving it up.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I might have kept my last name if I didn't hate it intensely.

^Same here, I really dislike my last name so I actually hope that one day I will get married just for a new last name.

Although, if I had a career I would probably keep my last name there - that is the name I have built up it with but Mrs. Clooney probably loves the attention she gets with the name...

Οκ, ill wait for a phone call tomorrow,friend works in the museum and though its his day off he ll try and fix me with Anal,s program to visit.I am in for some nice stalking..lol
    Oh,his boss saw her today,drove them to the seaside for lunch.He says she is a real dog,mannish and a bag of bones,all make up and hair.
    When i got married women had no option but get husband,s last name.Now,none of the young wives i know changed their name.
    Belt Up and Cinnamon*Girl like this.

Silver Member

I was happy to change my last name too. It was ugly and too many people didn't pronounce it correctly. My oldest friend kept hers because it was unique and interesting.

I had a female coworker who couldn't wait to change her last name when she was married. It was "Lerch", and apparently she was subjected constantly to Addams family jokes when she was younger.

How ridiculous. Isn't the point of feminism to celebrate choices women make for themselves and their families? I am a professional woman and didn't think twice about changing my last name. It doesn't diminish any of my accomplishments. It doesn't make me less qualified. This idea that we have to yield to the pressures put upon us by the "feminist" sort of flies in the face of true feminism.

"You rang?"
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I could never change it. I'm what we called a 'firsty lasty' growing up, which are those people that are always refer to with their first and last names when they are mentioned

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    How ridiculous. Isn't the point of feminism to celebrate choices women make for themselves and their families? I am a professional woman and didn't think twice about changing my last name. It doesn't diminish any of my accomplishments. It doesn't make me less qualified. This idea that we have to yield to the pressures put upon us by the "feminist" sort of flies in the face of true feminism.
    I would agree.
    mopar likes this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I could never change it. I'm what we called a 'firsty lasty' growing up, which are those people that are always refer to with their first and last names when they are mentioned
    i read this and have no idea what you mean. no i am not drunk. can you please give an example?

i have a pretty unique last name and there was no question that i would not change it. personally, i think it is a personal choice but i am surprised at the trend. seems to have changed from years ago. that is all.

Thread Information