Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heidi Montag's step brother dies in accident

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Oh, for fuck's sake.
    I love how you get your point across.

This thread isn't about who is and isn't fucking patriotic.
    It isn't? Tell that to Sweetie, who volunteered and initiated the "patriotic" tangent by insisting that she doesn't have a patriotic bone in her body. mmkay?
    "Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast."

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I love how they have to throw in "a member of the 82nd Airborne Division and a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan". Who cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyWifey View Post
    Ignorant comment...
    Ditto that.

Ignoramus.
    "Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast."

Not attacking anyone here ...

but I never understood why Americans take this thing of being patriotic, or not, so seriously. I've seen a few, let's say, heated debates over this topic & I never get why it is so important over there.

What good is he if he serves in a war that's illegal, anyway??
    The legality of this war has nothing to do with this man's service. Don't be disrespectful.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by South Lake View Post
    I love how you get your point across.
    I know, isn't it great?

It isn't? Tell that to Sweetie, who volunteered and initiated the "patriotic" tangent by insisting that she doesn't have a patriotic bone in her body. mmkay?
    No, thanks.

Whatever. This thread is out of control. I'm out of here, I'm not dealing with this stupid shit, anymore.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post

but I never understood why Americans take this thing of being patriotic, or not, so seriously. I've seen a few, let's say, heated debates over this topic & I never get why it is so important over there.
    Same here! I don't think I'll ever feel patriotic but that doesn't mean I don't love my countries (yes two countries ).

Chill out everybodiez.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Whatever. This thread is out of control. I'm out of here, I'm not dealing with this stupid shit, anymore.
    Bye!

Because we are not forced into military service here. People are of two minds: either you sign up and you are a dimwit who is putty for the government; or you are a very courageous person for signing up for a job that would send most people running. I believe wholeheartedly that most soldiers sign up for humanitarian reasons, at least the ones I know have. Most want to make a difference in the world, most love their country. I agree that we should be thanking our lucky stars that there are soldiers out there who are willing to fight so we don't have to institute a draft. In any instance, it is truly not their fault that they are fighting in an unjust war (Iraq, not Afghanistan). I have much respect for American soldiers. My grandfather fought in Iwo Jima, his four brothers fought in WWII as well. My father was an Army medic who had the good fortune not to fight in any major wars. All of these men are men who I greatly admire and respect, and were men of great honor. It affects so many people when you hear things about all servicemen and women because guaranteed, everyone in this nation knows at least one person who has signed up for the military, and its really demeaning to hear them trivialized as people. I can understand not giving a fuck one way or the other, but many people seem to dislike soldiers on the whole (not saying anyone on this thread, just in general). So while I can understand not feeling one way or the other, it peeves me when I hear people say "what good is he if he's fighting in an unjust war? He's a nobody." Thats just a crap thing to say, regardless. I mean, he is still a person who died. Does it mean less that he was a serviceman? I can understand if it doesn't matter one way or the other, but if it makes you feel less about his death that he once served, thats pretty shitty, in my opinion.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Patriotism is taught from a very early age and therefore, is an intrinsic part of being a (native born) American for many. I learned the pledge of allegiance in nursery school and remember being told very early on in grammar school that ours was the best country in the world, the land of the free, the land of opportunity, etc.

Really? I was never told our country was the best country that existed. My father did tell me it was worth fighting for, though, and I still believe that, even though I see many things I wish I could change.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

That sounds rather ethnocentric.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

In my country signing up for the army is not an obligation either, you only go if you want to. Still, I don't think that choosing not to serve makes one less patriotic, and vice versa.

Also, this whole thing of being a patriot or not has nothing to do with respecting the soldiers. Which I obviously do. As much as I respect anyone else who makes a choice. It's a decision & a job. Nothing more, nothing less.

And my point had nothing to do with the soldiers, or the war, or the president, or whatever. It was about the American people in general.

In my country signing up for the army is not an obligation either, you only go if you want to. Still, I don't think that choosing not to serve makes one less patriotic, and vice versa.
    I don't think anyone was debating whether people who volunteer for the army are more patriotic than others. Instead, a select few (two) people here were slamming this young man who put his life on the line for the USA, who died in a tragic accident, seemingly solely because he was Heidi Montag's stepbrother AND volunteering that they were "unpatriotic" and therefore didn't care about him ("he was nobody" and "he's irrelevant" I believe were the comments..)

That is a horrible, horrible thing to say about a veteran who could have died for the US, whether he chose to sign up for the Army or not.

These bitches are here enjoying the American freedom, and slamming the young men who fight for their country.

It's disgusting.

I don't think anyone was debating whether people who volunteer for the army are more patriotic than others. Instead, a select few (two) people here were slamming this young man who put his life on the line for the USA, who died in a tragic accident, seemingly solely because he was Heidi Montag's stepbrother AND volunteering that they were "unpatriotic" and therefore didn't care about him ("he was nobody" and "he's irrelevant" I believe were the comments..)

That is a horrible, horrible thing to say about a veteran who could have died for the US, whether he chose to sign up for the Army or not.

These bitches are here enjoying the American freedom, and slamming the young men who fight for their country.

It's disgusting.
    I was not debating anything either, was merely throwing a thought, a question, randomly out there.
    Because I saw people pointing out the patriotism thing & I've always wondered why is it so important in America.

That was all.

But I do understand your point, though.

Yeah I don't think that patriotism isn't tied to military service at all, even though some people probably do sign up for patriotic reasons. I think some people believe "patriotism" is a bad thing because, like moomies brought up, it can kind of be ethnocentric sometimes. I dislike that as much as the next person. But I think most people of any country can say that they love the country that they were raised in, thats not a bad thing. I can discuss openly the things I dislike about my country with anyone willing to listen, I really detest American foreign policy, but it raises my hackles a bit when I am in other countries and I hear people talking about how awful Americans/America is. Thats the only time I guess I truly feel patriotic, as I would imagine most people would. I feel a responsibility almost to say that I love my country because most people are so often putting us down, even in subtle ways. I live in Egypt at the moment and people here are VERY patriotic. I've had several people tell me that they would die for Egypt without a moment's hesitation. Yet that doesn't seem so strange, its not questioned as being "dumb patriotism". It doesn't raise any eyebrows. But if I would say the same regarding the USA, people would roll their eyes and say I'm just another "unquestioning, flag waving American." No, I'm not, but I don't think its a bad thing to be proud of your roots. Lots of people are. I don't believe that America is the best country in the world, even if its the best country for ME personally, because its where I've been raised and where I have my roots.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information