Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: Heather Mills Says Paul McCartney Is Irrelevant

Elite Member

Sorry about your friend WCG, laughter really is the best medicine.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Unless you have lung issues.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Nana you are one of the most fortunate people I've ever met! You got to live my dream!! Did you get to see them before shit got too off the hook and all you could hear was screaming/squealing girls, or after they were the biggest thing on the planet?
    Unfortunately I saw them in 1965 and 1966 when they were at their height. It was a dodger stadium both times. I saw the Stones at the Hollywood bowl. They were wonderful times.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Silver Member

When I saw them in '64 it was at the old San Francisco Cow Palace, their last concert in SF in '66 they were outdoors on 2nd base at the old baseball stadium Candlestick Park. They may as well have been on the moon. The first concert was the best, they weren't all jaded and tired of the crazy fame and hysteria yet and it was the first stop on their first US tour. Unforgettable and a major highlight of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I actually like Wings - "Live and Let Die", "Band on the Run", "Silly Love Songs", "With a Little Luck", and "Jet".
    LOVE Wings!! I actually aced a vocabulary test in 6th grade because of the song "Band on the Run".

We had to use each vocabulary word in a sentence. On of the vocabulary words was "grudge" so I wrote "The county judge held a grudge." and got 100 on the test.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

A*O

Wings did bland, generic pop songs. Memorable tunes but not classics like early Lennon/McCartney technical masterpieces, eg, If I Fell, Eleanor Rigby. I think the quality of the songs deteriorated as the consumption of drugs increased. McCartney basically fried his brain.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The album Ram is amazing and completely ahead of its time. It's such a classic now that in recent years, there have been three separate tribute albums by a collection of indie artists recreating it.

Band on the Run is a classic album as well but more mainstream. If you've only ever heard a couple of Wings hits you don't know how intricate and technical most of the songs are. In the later 70s, Wings went more into stadium rock because McCartney was completely lambasted any time he tried to do something experimental and was sick of it.

I'm currently reading the book Man on the Run: Paul McCartney in the 70's, which is really terrific. One of the better music books I've read recently.
    gas_chick and Bluebonnet like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Wings did bland, generic pop songs. Memorable tunes but not classics like early Lennon/McCartney technical masterpieces, eg, If I Fell, Eleanor Rigby. I think the quality of the songs deteriorated as the consumption of drugs increased. McCartney basically fried his brain.
    The drugs and the hair dye
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

Yeah, I didn't pay all that much attention to Paul's Wings era-raising kids, etc. plus Linda couldn't sing OR play an instrument for shit-but he's always had a song or two in any of his eras that have stood the test of time. My dad played tenor sax with a small group on weekends and I use to tease him that he ended up playing more than one Beatles song.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree madam, Sgt. Peppers and "Hey Jude" blew the earlier stuff out of the water (although Eleanor Rigby is a brilliant song!) as they were so experimental and innovative, paving the way for generations of rock'n'roll after it. "Helter Skelter", for example, is often considered the first metal song ever.
    nana51 and gas_chick like this.

A*O

Hey Jude is repetitive, simplistic and boring. Naaaaaa-na-na-nananaaaaa-nanananaaaaa-hey Jude [ad nauseam]. Most of Sgt Pepper is druggie dreck. The White Album defies description. I know bands have to evolve musically but the Beatles were at their artistic peak on the early years and then went downhill. Paul became the domesticated family man and his music suffered and for some reason John acquired an almost god-like status and his music suffered too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

And don't get me started on Beethoven, Bach, and Chopin.....
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Elite Member

Hee hee. Sgt. Peppers is "druggie dreck". You made me chuckle with that.

I'm with you on the White Album- its one of my least favorites out of their later material. John's songs in particular were absolutely the WORST on the White Album. I mean, "I'm soooo tired I'm feeling so upset. Although I'm sooo tiiiiired I'll have another cigarette." You're so tired because you just did a full shot of smack you moron. On the plus side George really got to shine on the WA which I love because he always was short changed in the song writing department, what with John and Paul always pushing him out.

Was "Revolution" on the White Album?

Elite Member

It is, and "Revolution" is indeed, a really killer song. Probably John's shining moment on that album. That being said, Revolution No. 9 was also on the white album. As well as "Piggies", "Savoy Truffle" etc. Lots of shit songs thrown in there unfortunately.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information