Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: Heather Mills Says Paul McCartney Is Irrelevant

Elite Member

Amen to all of that Nonorehab, you're spot on. And I forgot about the copyright law of '76, but doesn't that only apply in England? I thought it was a 100 year rule for America...
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

The last time I went to one of his concerts, he was still talking about it. ^

No, the copyright law is U.S.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

It's very complicated,but there are two main types of rights, publishing rights and recording rights. What Sony owns is the publishing, which means they can only give permission for artists to COVER the Beatles' songs, they have no control over the actual Beatles recordings.
    Just to clarify the bold part - artists don't need permission to cover a song, record it and release it. They just need to make sure they pay the publisher their share of the royalties. The publisher still has control over the exploitation of the song; for example I could record Yellow Submarine and it could sell a million copies on CD and download and I could tour the world singing it in front of thousands of people, and Sony (or whoever holds the publishing rights now) can't do a thing about it, and the majority of the royalties and income from the CD sales and concerts will be split by me and my record company because we control the recordings. BUT - we must account to Sony for mechanical royalties (a very small percentage to the songwriter from the sale of a recording - usually only a few cents per copy), performance royalties from radio airplay (again not much) and from playing the song at concerts. Most of those are covered by rights organisations like AMCOS or PPCA in Oz (I can't remember the US equivalent, there were a few).

The main restriction is exploitation of the song eg if I wanted to licence my version to Apple to use in their next ad campaign, I would have to get my record company's permission to use the recording (and pay them their share of the licence fee and royalties) and also get Sony's permission to use the song and pay them, and if they say no, then the deal is off because the recording is useless without the publishing. Licensing for use in advertising, films, TV etc is where the big money is made for publishers and songwriters, which is why they're so tightly controlled.

But if Apple wanted to use the Beatles' version and Sony were OK with it but Paul and Ringo (or whoever owns the rights to the recordings) says no, Sony and Apple can use my version and Paul and Ringo couldn't do a thing. Normally an artist still has a say over exploitation of their songs but what I took from this thread is that Paul doesn't.

And you can't make substantial changes to a song you want to cover unless it's for parody, which is why Weird Al gets away with it.

sorry for the royaltiesfesto
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

The big US versions of a similar group to AMCOS are ASCAP and BMI. There's SESAC too, but they're smaller.
    faithanne likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ah yes, I remember spending many hours trawling through BMI and ASCAP trying to figure out publishing royalties.

and all of my long boring festo only relates to songs already released - you can't take another writer's new song and record it without their permission until they've recorded and released it.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

In other Beatle news...

Cynthia Lennon

First Beatles Wife Dies from Cancer

4/1/2015 8:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

breaking news
    John Lennon's first wife Cynthia Lennon ... died at home in Spain after a short battle with cancer. She was 75.
    Cynthia and John got married in 1962 .. while she was pregnant -- and she gave birth to Julian Lennon in 1963. He is her only child, and was by her side at her house in Mallorca when she passed away on Wednesday.
    Julian posted a pic of his mom with the caption, "You are so beautiful."
    John and Cynthia divorced in 1968, but she went on to marry 3 more times.
    John was the only Beatle who had tied the knot when they first hit it big. In fact, during their famous "Ed Sullivan Show" debut they put up a graphic saying, "Sorry girls, he's married."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3W6FhYChj

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

czb

like anyone had a boner for john ....

Poor Julian. I have a soft spot for him. I loved his music.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I like Sitting on a Pebble by the River.
    spinmonkey likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

RIP Cynthia
    JWL and snoopqueen like this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

JWL

Beautiful tribute Julian made for his mom:

Help! Gloom of Macca's girls at doomed wedding: First view from inside Paul and Heather's wedding - but did grim-faced Stella and Mary know what was coming?

• New photos emerge of Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills' 2002 wedding
    • But after tying the knot, Sir Paul's daughters looked decidedly glum
    • The pair were said to have been less than overjoyed at their father's partner
    • Pictures and other memorabilia are to be auctioned for charity next month

By SANCHEZ MANNING FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
    PUBLISHED: 22:07, 11 April 2015 | UPDATED: 01:59, 12 April 2015

It's the must-have wedding snap for newlyweds – the happy couple celebrating with their closest family and friends after they tie the knot.
    But not everyone was smiling after Sir Paul McCartney married Heather Mills.
    Take a closer look at Macca's wedding party picture and you'll spot his daughters Stella and Mary looking decidedly glum.

+9

We can’t work it out: As Sir Paul and Ms Mills celebrate, his daughters Stella (circled left) and Mary (circled right) fail to raise a smile

The pair – daughters of Sir Paul's first wife Linda, who died of cancer four years previously – were said to have been less than overjoyed by their father's choice of partner.
    The remarkable picture is a portent of the bitterness that would follow the wedding in 2002 – as Sir Paul and Ms Mills separated in 2006 and went through a bitter and messy divorce in 2008. Astonishingly, the image is the first to emerge of the former Beatle and Ms Mills from their wedding reception.

In another never-before-seen picture, Sir Paul acts out a mock striptease in front of his delighted bride during the reception, which was attended by 300 guests.
    Sir Paul, then 59, and Ms Mills had ordered a media blackout of the event in Ireland.

+9

Crowd-pleaser: Sir Paul delights his new wife Heather at the reception with his 'striptease'

+9

The wedding invitation, which will also be auctioned, featured Sir Paul giving Ms Mills a piggy-back

These pictures belong to the family of Sir Paul's late housekeeper Rose Martin, who was among those invited to the event at the 17th Century Castle Leslie in County Monaghan.
    The ceremony was shrouded in such secrecy that on the invitations guests were told only to arrive at a hotel at Heathrow Airport at an appointed time from where they would be flown to an unnamed destination.
    Other guests included the only other surviving Beatle, Ringo Starr, the band's legendary producer Sir George Martin, Pretenders singer Chrissy Hynde, and model Twiggy.

McCartney & Mills announce their engagement back in 2001

+9

+9

Sir Paul and Ms Mills are pictured (left) in 2003 at a screening for the film 'Concert For George' and (right) in Hollywood in 2007

+9

The pair posed with photographer Dennis Stone (left) as they arrived back in London after a trip abroad

+9

+9

Sir Paul (left) and Ms Mills (right) went through a bitter and messy divorce in 2008 and are pictured leaving the High Court after one of their hearings

+9

Mary (left) and Stella (right) McCartney join Sir Paul at the launch of Meet Free Monday seven years after his 2002 wedding

The couple turned down a £1.5 million offer from Hello! magazine for exclusive photos of the event. One official portrait – of the couple outside the church – was published, for charity.
    These photos and other memorabilia, including the invitation – featuring Sir Paul giving Ms Mills a piggy-back – are being sold at Omega Auctions in Stockport, Cheshire, next month.
    Mrs Martin's family decided to sell them after her death aged 92 in 2013. Auctioneer Paul Fairweather said: 'They decided the best thing was to pass them on to fans.

Read more: Help! Gloom of Macca's girls at doomed wedding: First view from inside Paul and Heather's wedding - but did grim-faced Stella and Mary know what was coming? | Daily Mail Online

JWL likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    I thought Paul bought it back from Michael a few years back?

Edited to add: My husband's band's catalogue is technically owned by BMG, though he and the other band members are the listed song writers. The remaining band members and the holders of the singer's estate are the ones that get to decide whether their songs are used where ever for licensing/publishing purposes and their manager is the one that brings them the opportunities. The then all vote yay or nay for usage and majority rules...
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Bahaha. And therein lies the reason so many of us hate her- zero talent but calls shots for the Beatles empire, often against the other member's wishes because she "knows better." My husband goes through something very similar with the family of his deceased best friend/lead singer, the father and the widow of this man (married for one week, btw!) constantly block votes by the remaining band members, put shit quality out there, etc.
    Its maddening, an its endless.
    contradiction much?

+9

Mary (left) and Stella (right) McCartney join Sir Paul at the launch of Meet Free Monday seven years after his 2002 wedding

Mondays free of meeting Heather??? Instead of meat-free?
    Free Charmed.

I thought I would ask a couple of girls at work (22 year olds) if they knew who Paul McCartney was. One said she did, and knew he was in the Beatles, the other said she knew he was the guy in the Kanye/Rihanna video, and although knew who the Beatles were, had no idea he was one of the members.
    Novice likes this.

Thread Information