Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: Heather Mills Says Paul McCartney Is Irrelevant

I want to hear more about Crazyhappee's Aunt George!

"The Rubber Album" is an excellent album imo, the best in The Beatles catalog from purely a instrumental perspective. Lyrically, it was also a huge progression.

In fact, Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was so inspired by it, that "Pet Sounds" was heavily influenced by it. Brian Wilson says. "When I heard Rubber Soul, I said, 'That's it. That's all. That's all folks.' I said, 'I'm going to make an album that's really good, I mean really challenge me.' I mean, I love that fucking album, I cherish that album." 15 Facts About 'Pet Sounds' | Mental Floss
    Clubber Lang and nana51 like this.

^^ You mean "Rubber Soul"? ^^
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

And yet the Beatles/George Martin thought Pet Sounds was really good so they made Sgt. Pepper. There was a lot of mutual admiration going on.
    Bluebonnet and snoopqueen like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

LMAO, indeed I do. Hands slower than the brain.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Silver Member

Rubber Soul was the last US album I bought. They had changed so much and the innocent teenaged me (yes, I was) didn't like them that way. I still have a Parlophone label single my aunt in England sent me for Christmas in 1963, the early US Decca singles and every Capitol album up to and including Rubber Soul. And I remember the furor over the "butcher" cover. I was NOT impressed, what the hell were they thinking? Oh yeah, the drugs were running things by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    "The Rubber Album" is an excellent album imo, the best in The Beatles catalog from purely a instrumental perspective. Lyrically, it was also a huge progression.

In fact, Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was so inspired by it, that "Pet Sounds" was heavily influenced by it. Brian Wilson says. "When I heard Rubber Soul, I said, 'That's it. That's all. That's all folks.' I said, 'I'm going to make an album that's really good, I mean really challenge me.' I mean, I love that fucking album, I cherish that album." 15 Facts About 'Pet Sounds' | Mental Floss
    Speaking of Brian Wilson, I was reading a story last week on the origin of the song "She's Leaving Home". It was inspired by a story Paul saw in the paper about a girl who had disappeared from her parents' home. The story about it is below. What they don't mention was that Paul had actually met the girl earlier when he awarded her a prize as the best dancer at some contest:
    "She's Leaving Home" was inspired by a newspaper story about a well-to-do 17-year-old girl named Melanie Coe who disappeared from her parents' home in London. While McCartney took the perspective of the teen runaway, Lennon sang counterpoint (the "Greek chorus," as McCartney called it) in the voice of the heartbroken parents.McCartney was so impatient to record the song, he hired arranger Mike Leander to orchestrate the strings instead of waiting for George Martin, who was busy with another artist. "I was surprised and hurt," Martin admitted. "It was just Paul being Paul." <---[editor's note - Witchcurlgirl validation alert.]
    The real-life Melanie Coe ended up going back home to her mom and dad after three weeks; she was pregnant and had an abortion. But the girl in the song represented all the teenagers who were running away from their conventional lives in the Sixties. In April 1967, McCartney visited Brian Wilson in L.A. to preview Sgt. Pepper, playing "She's Leaving Home" on the piano for him and his wife. "We both just cried," Wilson said. "It was beautiful."

Lol I still don't believe he's an asshole!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Show me a front man that isn't an asshole

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A few years back I read about book about the whole "Paul is dead" rumor. It was a really interesting read. *puts on tin foil hat* It's available on Amazon. Amazon.com: Turn Me On, Dead Man: The Beatles and the "Paul Is Dead" Hoax (9781418482947): Andru J. Reeve: Books

Elite Member

I love that you guys are talking about the friendly competition between the Beatles and the Beach Boys because everyone always says the Beatles were constantly battling the Stones (its true, there's Beatles fans or Stones fans, for the most part) but really the Beatles viewed their competition and/or inspiration in the Beach Boys. Pet Sounds was inspired by Rubber Soul, and in return Sgt. Peppers was inspired by Pet Sounds. I love the history between these two bands and Brian Wilson is the fucking man!! I saw him perform much of the Beach Boys catalogue at a beautiful winery in Paso Robles, CA six years ago while he was promoting Smile I was in the second row and to this day it was my favorite concert of all time.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Show me a front man that isn't an asshole
    Okay you got me there. Lead singeritist I think it's called.

My mother made sure her children hated the Beach Boys because she hated them so much. Funny thing she loves Jan and Dean and when I asked what the difference was she said Jan and Dean were cute.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I can take or leave the Beach Boys. Some songs are great, but most are mediocre. Again, this is all just taste and we're all different. But they weren't surfers (except for Dennis), which always gave me a giggle with all the surf themed songs. Their personal lives are pretty interesting though, and by interesting I mean completely fucked up- like Dennis was briefly married to and had a child by his cousin Mike Love's daughter

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

My favorite Beach Boys song is "God Only Knows". Their harmonizing, in general, was incredible. Brian Wilson is a genius, imo. Their backstory is totally fubard like WCG said. Dennis was awesomely erratic, in the spectator way.

I never liked the beach boys, but I do like the Mamas and the Papas.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thread Information