Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heath Ledger's family fighting over his $$$

Isn't it odd that while tragedy can bring out the best in people, money so often brings out the very worst?

A*O

I guess the lesson is that as soon as you have kids you must make a will either to ensure they get the money or (of your kids are bad 'uns) to ensure they don't. You may not think you have many assets but once you tot everything up you might be surprised. It's not expensive or difficult to have a simple will drawn up and whatever is in that will MUST be carried out no matter what.

You would be amazed how many people, even middle aged and elderly people with substantial assets, don't have a will. I think they are scared to face the fact they will die one day and just don't want to think about it. Or they don't think it's important and the family 'will work things out between them'. Wrong!!!!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I think it's important to update your will regularly and to have a clause in it explicity stating that if anyone contests it, they get nothing. That way, you can ensure that your wishes are carried out.

Second will or not, Matilda should get that money. She would have depended on Heath and his money for the next 18 years if he were still alive. Heath's parents and sisters are grown ass adults and should be ashamed of profitting off of the death of their son/brother. They should all be at a point in their life where they have their own careers and earn their own living. He shouldn't have had to support them when he was alive and he certainly shouldn't have to support them now that he is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    Heath's parents and sisters are grown ass adults and should be ashamed of profitting off of the death of their son/brother.
    Well, they haven't done anything to be ashamed of..not yet, anyway. Remember, it was Heath who named them as heirs and it was Heath who failed to update his will once his daughter was born.

I'm not sure how these things work, but since there is an existing will, it might be necessary for someone to contest it on Matilda's behalf. Anna Nicole Smith also died without an updated will, naming her son as sole beneficiary. It took some time to go through the court system to get Dannielynn named as sole heir.

At this point I don't think it's fair to assume that anyone in Heath's family is trying to rip off his little girl. It's just too soon to tell what their intentions are yet.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I don't think the uncles are asking for anything; they're pointing out that Heath's father didn't handle his responsibility regarding their late father's estate very well. I don't know if it's true or not but I would say something about, too. Heath's father saying Matilda will be taken care of doesn't really mean anything especially if he shows a lack of fiduciary responsibility.

I read that earlier, and thought, WTH does Michelle's dad have anything to do with this?!?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information