Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Heath Ledger's cause of death released

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well A*O Dr. Drew on on larry king tonite and he said that a combination of those drugs is deadly and that no doc should have been prescribing those combinations under any circumstances, but that he believe that heath was definetly a person who abused drugs. u dont just happen upon those combinations of meds one nite. u work up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    "Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine. We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."
    For all those who are contending that the coroner didn't imply that Ledger was being a bit more than unwise, read the emphasised comment again.

The coroner's words are *pretty* specific. Abuse of prescription medication = to paraphrase Trainspotting, a drug addict in a domestic and socially acceptable manner.

I'm in two minds about whether they'd fail to mention in media releases any suggestion of illegal substances... in some ways I think they would, but in others I have to agree with those who think the family may have asked that some details be kept private - in any Joe Bloggs' coronial investigation, the family can request the information not be publicly released AFAIK.

To know that Heath abused drugs in no way diminishes my memory of him as an actor and a person. While the media scrutiny has been pretty weird and OTT, I don't think there's been a beatification of Sir Heathcliff either, as some are suggesting. If anything, it's been the latter - all the dormant rumours of drug use are now front page news. Hardly turning him into a saint!

^I agree. Theres no doubt he was an illegal drug user. He just so happened to die from prescription drugs. As I said, an addict is an addict.

^^ I guess I just feel some of the "Hey - he was a druggie!" discussion is getting a bit spiteful. Life isn't as clear cut, black and white as to be able to make blanket statements that ALL drug addicts are evil scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    ^^ I guess I just feel some of the "Hey - he was a druggie!" discussion is getting a bit spiteful. Life isn't as clear cut, black and white as to be able to make blanket statements that ALL drug addicts are evil scum.
    Co-signs.

I don't think they're evil scum. I feel sorry for them. Especially the ones who are so miserable. There are ways to quit but it must be extremely difficult. I knew a teenager who killed himself in rehab - it must be agony, the withdrawals, etc. A day before the kid was on the phone to his mother saying, 'I cant wait to get out of here and start my life, i just want to get better'. Then hung himself. So sad.

I get all drugs, but prescription drugs (abuse!). They scare me and disgust me, I think abusing them is so... pathetic. Desperate housewife pathetic. Republican pillpopper pathetic.

You will not get a German doctor to prescribe you any of that stuff. Not for insomnia, anxiety, or anything else. I haven't even heard of half of the stuff American teenagers have in their lunchboxes. And I'm an expert!

But then again, I never tried any. Can someone pass the Oxy, please?

*shakes head at Heath*
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    well A*O Dr. Drew on on larry king tonite and he said that a combination of those drugs is deadly and that no doc should have been prescribing those combinations under any circumstances, but that he believe that heath was definetly a person who abused drugs. u dont just happen upon those combinations of meds one nite. u work up to them.
    Hey, I'm just repeating what the good Professor said. I have no clue. Just because they were prescription meds doesn't mean he got them legally via prescription. I doubt a doctor was involved at all, or perhaps he went to several docs and lied about what he was already taking. If you are hooked on that shit you can still get them 'under the counter' so to speak. And I'm absolutely not trying to make excuses for this guy - he was a druggie who did what most druggies eventually do, he killed himself. It's a shame but he's not the first and won't be the last.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

chilly, i feel kind of the same but i admit i've tried some. never oxycodon or any of those but my friends and i used to get high on codeine sometimes back in high school.
    and after my father died a bunch of people gave me xanax and valium and a bunch of sleeping pills, some of them really strong. usually older women, they'd go, so sorry for your loss, dear, here, have these, they'll help you relax, and take the pills out of their purses and slip them in my hand. by the time the funeral was over, my sister and i had amassed a small arsenal of pharmaceuticals.
    that's pretty much the extent of my experience with pills. i used to have friends that would freebase rohypnol but that shit always scared me to death.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

How did he not know that mixing all those drugs was lethal? I just cant picture someone in their right frame of mind doing all those pills. What was going through his head!

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I have too and neither did anything for me - a friend of mine just had rotator cuff surgery with complications and he said he was popping 6 percocets and 12 advil a day and he still had no pain relief.

I'm convinced from talking to different people that opiates just don't work on some people.
    Do me a favor, ask your friend if it takes a lot to numb him at the dentist or if he has ever woken up in surgery etc? I think they are all related. It takes 5-6 shots at the dentist to numb me, usually the one in the roof of the mouth if he is doing upper teeth. I have also woken up during surgery twice. My mom did the same thing. I thought it was just inherited and people always think this is weird.

Back on topic, I think there is too much of a tendency to "idolize" anyone who dies. We remember them through rose colored glasses, etc. When that person is a celeb, I think it is easier to do. I don't know what it would have been like if we had had the whole internet community thing when Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, or Elvis died. Can you imagine?
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?” George Carlin

A*O

It's called "Dianafication". I also think that in this day and age of medical miracles and longer life expectancy people, especially young people, are completely cocooned from the reality of death and how it can strike down absolutely anyone, even celebs, and often for no apparent reason.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    chilly, i feel kind of the same but i admit i've tried some. never oxycodon or any of those but my friends and i used to get high on codeine sometimes back in high school.
    and after my father died a bunch of people gave me xanax and valium and a bunch of sleeping pills, some of them really strong. usually older women, they'd go, so sorry for your loss, dear, here, have these, they'll help you relax, and take the pills out of their purses and slip them in my hand. by the time the funeral was over, my sister and i had amassed a small arsenal of pharmaceuticals.
    that's pretty much the extent of my experience with pills. i used to have friends that would freebase rohypnol but that shit always scared me to death.
    I guess, I'm old school. When my grandma was killed by a drunk driver and we were waiting for my mom to come out of surgery after the accident, a doctor came up to us and handed us each "something". We were obviously about to lose it collectively.

There has never been a pill I didn't swallow, but I find those meds scary. I threw my pill out, went home and got high and drunk.

The kids at my school snorted Ritalin, but I was disgusted by that. I take everything illegal, but not that.

When I had my stomach ulcer the pain drove me up the walls, so the doctors gave me diacepam (mmmmm) and Morphine (double mmmmm). That was the only shot of morphine I eve got, but up until this day, I'm a morphine addict. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks, lol.

Prescription drugs = nono for Chilly
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    When I had my stomach ulcer the pain drove me up the walls, so the doctors gave me diacepam (mmmmm) and Morphine (double mmmmm). That was the only shot of morphine I eve got, but up until this day, I'm a morphine addict. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks, lol.

Prescription drugs = nono for Chilly
    i'm scared of opiates. well i guess codeine is one but i was young and stupid (really stupid - it turns out both my parents are allergic and there was a good chance i was. i didn't know it at the time i took way more pills than you need for a cough. lucky for me i wasn't). i did smoke opium a couple of times and absolutely LOVED it. so much that i will never do it again. i can only imagine how much i'd love morphine or demerol.
    Last edited by sputnik; February 7th, 2008 at 06:46 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

I took fistfulls of precription codeine for an infected wisdom tooth and it certainly killed the pain but I can't say it made me 'feel' any different let alone fantastic. Like you say, everyone is different.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information