Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566
Like Tree3547Likes

Thread: Harvey Weinstein Lawyers Up for Bombshell New York Times, New Yorker Stories

i think nominations sometimes feel like the actual thing!

Elite Member

^ yeah, I was convinced Streep won for The Hours , but it looks it was Nicole Kidman.

Gold Member

Reports that there is $44 million dollar settlement reached. He really should be in jail. Serial sexual abusers won’t stop unless they are made to stop.
    rollo likes this.

The only thing he had going for him was power, and that's gone now. Not saying that will stop him but it will damn sure take away his opportunities.
    Angeli likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

fgg

Harvey Weinstein reaches $44M deal to settle sex assault civil suits

Lawyers for Harvey Weinstein and his movie company have reached a tentative deal that would settle a slew of civil suits brought against the accused serial sex assaulter, a report said Thursday.

The deal, which hasn’t been finalized, was struck by lawyers for the disgraced movie mogul, women who have accused him of sexual misconduct, board members from his former film studio and the New York attorney general’s office, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The proposed $44 million settlement, which was announced in bankruptcy court in Delaware, earmarks $30 million for the plaintiffs, including women who have accused him and Weinstein Co. employees.

Legal fees for the defendants would also be covered by the $30 million, according to the report.

The remaining $14 million would be divided up to pay for legal fees for people who worked at the Weinstein Co., including board members who were named as defendants in the civil suits, the Journal reported.

A source familiar with the plaintiffs’ legal team confirmed the numbers to The Post and complained that some funds were going to pay for the defendants’ legal fees.

“Harvey Weinstein hasn’t paid a dime towards damages incurred by victims,” the source said. “A significant amount of this proposed settlement would be going right back into Harvey and Bob’s pockets, instead of remunerating victims.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/23/harve...t-civil-suits/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

He needs to do time. Not pay money to be excused.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    earmarks $30 million for the plaintiffs
    How generous of him, how many plaintiffs are there to share and divide all that generous and giving 'generosity'?

.......all Harvey has managed to prove here is that sadly he can STILL keep buying folks off.
    Serendipity and Angeli like this.

fgg

Harvey Weinstein faces arraignment on new indictment in sex assault case

Harvey Weinstein will be arraigned Monday on a new indictment in his sex assault case — just three weeks before his trial is set to begin.

The disgraced movie mogul was indicted Thursday on revised charges meant to fix a technical problem with the existing indictment, prosecutors said.

It does not add additional charges, nor will it delay the Sept. 9 trial, they added.

The case was re-presented to a grand jury to allow “Sopranos” actress Annabella Sciorra to testify against the 67-year-old producer.

Sciorra’s testimony could bolster two counts of predatory sexual assault Weinstein faces — serious charges that carry a maximum life sentence.

She claims Weinstein raped her inside her Manhattan apartment after she starred in a movie he produced in 1993.

Prosecutors were barred from bringing charges in Sciorra’s case because her allegation dates back several years before a change in law that removed the statute of limitations in rape cases.

The predatory sexual assault charge requires prosecutors to prove that Weinstein committed a serious sex crime against at least two women.

Enlarge ImageAnnabella Sciorra
    Annabella SciorraGetty Images for Museum of Mode
    Weinstein is accused of raping a woman in 2013 and performing a forcible sex act on another woman in 2006. He has pleaded not guilty.

Lawyers for the fallen filmmaker slammed new indictment, saying it shows that prosecutors’ case is weak.

“There has been no case in recent memory where a district attorney has gone back to the grand jury on two separate occasions to re-present a case before that body in the hopes of obtaining an indictment that can withstand the scrutiny of a trial jury,” the lawyers, Arthur Aidala and Donna Rotunno, said in a statement.

“This action by the prosecutor bespeaks the desperation that has engulfed their case. We have reached the point where one must be concerned that these desperate measures indicate more of a focus on obtaining a conviction at all costs than on seeking justice.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/08/23/harve...-assault-case/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

“There has been no case in recent memory where a district attorney has gone back to the grand jury on two separate occasions to re-present a case before that body in the hopes of obtaining an indictment that can withstand the scrutiny of a trial jury,” the lawyers, Arthur Aidala and Donna Rotunno, said in a statement.

“This action by the prosecutor bespeaks the desperation that has engulfed their case. We have reached the point where one must be concerned that these desperate measures indicate more of a focus on obtaining a conviction at all costs than on seeking justice.”
    Wow, what an incredibly, transparently disingenuous statement from the lawyer. The law was JUST CHANGED - opening the door for the prosecutors to do this. It's not a desperation move if someone installs a new doorway and you walk through it. F*cker.

^^ Yeah, thanks Mo. Took the outrage right out of my mouth... and typing fingers.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Ronan's Farrow's new book - installments in the New Yorker Magazine.

How two operatives tasked with surveilling reporters became embroiled in an international plot to suppress sexual-assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-espionage/the-black-cube-chronicles-the-private-investigators?mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=tny&utm_medium=social&utm_sou rce=twitter
    Brookie likes this.

Video at link.

Harvey Weinstein Turned Up At An Event For Young Actors. A Woman Confronted Him And Was Thrown Out.

"It kind of felt like old-school Harvey to me — having his own table in a Lower East Side bar, surrounded by actors."
    Amber JamiesonBuzzFeed News Reporter
    Last updated on October 24, 2019, at 7:29 p.m. ET
    Posted on October 24, 2019, at 5:28 p.m. ET

[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2019-10/24/20/asset/70e1c4d98c37/sub-buzz-73-1571947331-1.jpg?crop=3000%3A2800%3B0%2C560&downsize=700%3A%2 A&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto&downsize=360:*[/IMG]

Courtesy of Zoe Stuckless

A woman comedian was booed and two attendees kicked out after they protested the appearance of disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein at an event for young performers in lower Manhattan on Wednesday night.

Weinstein turned up with an entourage to watch Actor's Hour, a monthly event "dedicated to artists" at the Downtime bar in the Lower East Side.

One comedian, Kelly Bachman, called him out in her act onstage, referring to him as "the elephant in the room" and "Freddy Krueger."

"I didn’t know we had to bring our own Mace and rape whistles to Actor's Hour," said Bachman in a video posted to Instagram.

Instagram: @undefined

Some audience members, ostensibly men, then started booing. "Shut up,” said one person.

"This kills at group therapy for rape survivors," replied Bachman, who noted she herself was a rape survivor. Bachman said "fuck you" to Weinstein before continuing with her set.

"I'm comfortable enough to talk about my experience, but when I'm sitting in the room with a monster that people are supporting, it just sucked the air out of my chest," Bachman, 27, told BuzzFeed News.

[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2019-10/24/18/asset/0e7e33e54ae3/sub-buzz-573-1571940599-1.png?downsize=400:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/IMG]

Courtesy of Kelly Bachman

Dozens of women, including many prominent actors, have come forward with allegations of sexual assault against the former movie mogul. Weinstein is due to stand trial in January in New York City over a rape allegation.

Bachman told BuzzFeed News that she'd previously had nightmares about Weinstein and that seeing him in the audience during her gig was her "nightmare come to life."

"It kind of felt like old-school Harvey to me — having his own table in a Lower East Side bar, surrounded by actors," said Bachman.

At one moment during her comedy set, which is about sex, she yelled "consent is important" and stared directly at Weinstein.

"I didn't want to make everyone comfortable," said Bachman. "I didn't want to make light of this person and make everyone feel good about it."

She said she was frustrated that Weinstein's presence had affected her ability to perform the stand-up set, since the event was going to be recorded, and annoyed that she didn't call him out further.

"Mom always tells me to reject Satan, but I wish I had said more," Bachman said.

Zoe Stuckless, a 21-year-old actor, told BuzzFeed News they were horrified after recognizing Weinstein sitting at a booth across from them.

Stuckless, who uses "they"/"them" pronouns, said they saw Weinstein enter the venue using a walker, and initially did not suspect anything unusual. But as the booth began filling up with younger women and older men in suits, Stuckless said, it became clear it was the disgraced Hollywood mogul.

[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2019-10/24/20/asset/1820ad4ee4da/sub-buzz-123-1571947382-1.jpg?downsize=400:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/IMG]

Provided by Zoe Stuckless
    Zoe Stuckless.

"As his little booth filled out, his demeanor changed. And it became really apparent that it was who we thought he was," said Stuckless.

When Bachman mentioned Weinstein's presence during her set, Stuckless was grateful that someone was acknowledging what the entire room was whispering about.

"I was sitting there and I was like, surely the event organizers will say something. Now she’s brought it up, it can't be denied," said Bachman.

But the show's emcee made no mention of it. Later, a male comedian joked about Bachman bringing up Weinstein.

"I'd like to address the elephant in the room," said Andrew B. Silas, a comedian visiting from Florida. "Who in this room produced Good Will Hunting? 'Cause that shit was great."

Silas told BuzzFeed News that shortly before performing, one of the show's organizers asked performers not to mention Weinstein's presence. Silas said he did not mean for his Good Will Hunting crack to support Weinstein and instead was intended to play off and remind people of Bachman's earlier joke.

"Her courage was incredible," said Silas via Instagram DM. "I didn't want Kelly to feel alone. And I didn't want to tread on her, honestly. And if he didn't want attention, I was going to give him attention."

Silas, who said he'd had three gin and tonics before performing, said he'd planned to joke about asking Weinstein where to obtain chloroform "but something told me that would be in poor taste."

"I swear I'm not a piece of shit," he added.

Silas said that after his bit, he walked past Weinstein and shrugged at him but the two did not speak.

However, Stuckless said that watching the male comedian engage with Weinstein after his joke upset them.

"That's when I felt so much anger and shame and fear bubbling in my gut," said Stuckless. "That [Weinstein] was allowed to be in this space and allowed to be laughing, and that comic was able to demean the person that went up before him."

Stuckless said they could not believe the room's support of Weinstein and that event organizers also seemed to encourage it.

"So many women have suffered so greatly because of their experiences with this man, and there were no repercussions," they said. "And, in fact, he was being supported — and the community meant to uplift emerging actors and emerging artists was not only complicit but directly responsible for their silencing."

Stuckless said they felt paralyzed by fear but knew they needed to say something because they "couldn't imagine walking out of the room and him still feeling safe to go in and laugh with the community he was responsible for terrorizing for so many years."

When intermission began, Stuckless decided to confront Weinstein.

"Tell me — what's your name?" they asked Weinstein in a video obtained by BuzzFeed News.

Weinstein placed his elbows on the table while another man next to him was heard speaking to Stuckless. They said the man accompanying Weinstein told them it was none of their business and that they had no right to ask.

Courtesy of Zoe Stuckless

"Nobody is going to say anything?" screamed Stuckless in a video their friend filmed and later posted to Facebook. "Nobody is really going to say anything?," they continued, pointing a finger toward Weinstein.

Stuckless was then asked to leave the venue.

"I'll get out of here, that's fine, I am happy to leave, but nobody is going to say anything?" they continued. "I'm going to stand four feet from a fucking rapist, and no one is going to say anything?"

Stuckless said they were ushered out of the room by a man and a woman.

"This guy was leading me out the stairs, just repeating 'due process, due process' to me," said Stuckless, who asked the man if he worked at the bar. He did not respond.

The Downtime bar has not responded to BuzzFeed News' request for comment, but posted a note on its Facebook page apparently referring to Stuckless as a heckler.

"Shortly into the evening, one guest began heckling another, causing a disturbance to everyone in attendance. After several requests to stop were ignored, we kindly asked the heckler to leave," it said.

Moments after Stuckless confronted Weinstein, so did Amber Rollo, a 31-year-old comedian who had attended the show to support her friend, Bachman.

“She's right," Rollo told Weinstein, she recalled. "You’re a fucking monster. What are you doing out here? Fuck you.”

Rollo said one of the men accompanying Weinstein called her a "cunt" in response, while another woman at Weinstein's table guided her outside. Rollo said she was disappointed that Weinstein was welcomed at the event and that those who questioned his presence were booed or removed from the venue.

"I am a rape survivor myself," said Rollo. "I thought that everyone agreed that [Weinstein] was a bad person. Other people are questionable; he’s the worst of the worst. I thought we all knew that."

Alexandra Laliberte, the organizer of Actor's Hour, told BuzzFeed News it was the second time Weinstein had turned up to one of her events. Laliberte added that she doesn't have a security team, and rather than turn Weinstein away, she thought the community could address him.

"I welcome all walks of life into my space," she said.

When asked why she allowed Weinstein to attend an event specifically intended to support and encourage young actors when he has been accused of sexually assaulting and harassing dozens of them, Laliberte told BuzzFeed News: "I protect them by freedom of speech."

"Comedians made fun of him," said the 26-year-old actor. "This one lady stood up and screamed at him. People walked out, which was fantastic."

But in a follow-up statement shared on Actor's Hour's Facebook page, the organization said it "apologize[s] wholeheartedly for the way the situation was handled."

Laliberte denied that Weinstein was invited by her or anyone from her organization. However, Rollo and Bachman said they were told by other event organizers that Laliberte had allocated that table specifically for her industry contacts.

[IMG]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2019-10/24/20/asset/c978795c8bf0/sub-buzz-232-1571950569-1.jpg?crop=847:710;0,51&downsize=800:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/IMG]

Courtesy of Kelly Bachman
    Comedian Kelly Bachman

A representative for Weinstein, Juda Engelmayer, told BuzzFeed News that the former producer has rights and has not been convicted of a crime.

"I would just point out that accusations are not convictions, and due process is still the foundation of each and every one of our civil rights in this country," said Engelmayer.

In a statement to BuzzFeed News, Weinstein said he was "happy to address anyone's questions."

"We should all be offered the courtesy to voice opinions and be heard, and to even get answers," he said. "I am glad we all still have these rights."

But the women who spoke with BuzzFeed News said they wished Weinstein had heard their request to stay away from spaces for young performers.

"I thought he would have not been allowed to go to an event to support actors and artists, when he’s ruined so many actors' and artists' lives," said Rollo. "It feels like I'm in the twilight zone."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...t-women-actors
    Brookie likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566

Thread Information