Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree3498Likes

Thread: Harvey Weinstein Lawyers Up for Bombshell New York Times, New Yorker Stories

^^^That never even occurred to me.

In Rose's words (tweet):

I am canceling upcoming public appearances because I have given enough. I have given beauty, in return I was VERBALLY ASSAULTED for two full minutes @BNBuzz by an actor paid to verbally assault a woman who has been terrorized by your system. And no ONE in that room did anything

These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Jill Messick's Family Issues Blistering Statement on Harvey Weinstein and Rose McGowan

1:55 PM PST 2/8/2018 by THR Staff

• FACEBOOK
    • TWITTER
    • EMAIL ME
    • PRINT
    • COMMENTS

Alexander Koerner/Getty Images; Kevin Winter/Getty Images
    Harvey Weinstein; Jill Messick

"Seeing her name in headlines again and again, as part of one person’s attempt to gain more attention for her personal cause, along with Harvey’s desperate attempt to vindicate himself, was devastating for her," the family said.

Veteran studio executive and producer Jill Messick died by suicide on Wednesday after battling depression for many years, her family tells The Hollywood Reporter.
    Messick, who worked at Miramax as a production executive from 1997 to 2003, also served as Rose McGowan's manager in January 1997, which is when, McGowan has claimed, she was raped by Harvey Weinstein.

In a statement following her death, her family says Messick was "victimized" after becoming embroiled in the Weinstein-McGowan allegations. Her name made headlines when Weinstein's attorney, Ben Brafman, released an email on Jan. 30 attributed to Messick in defense of his client. Her family says now that Messick "became collateral damage in an already horrific story."

Messick's family's full Feb. 8 statement is below.

“The Movement” just lost one of its own.

Jill Messick was a mother of two children, a loving wife and partner, a dear friend to many and a smart entertainment executive. She was also a survivor, privately battling depression, which had been her nemesis for years.

Today she did not survive. Jill took her own life.

Jill was victimized by our new culture of unlimited information sharing and a willingness to accept statement as fact. The speed of disseminating information has carried mistruths about Jill as a person, which she was unable and unwilling to challenge. She became collateral damage in an already horrific story.

Jill believed in the Movement. She supported every woman finally coming forward to share their dark truths and expose those who had committed previously unspeakable deeds. She was loyal. She was strong. Jill was many things, but she was not a liar.

Over the past few months, many women have come out with allegations against Harvey Weinstein, including Rose McGowan, who has repeatedly spoken with the press, striking out against not only her alleged attacker, but a great many others. One of them was Jill, who chose to remain silent in the face of Rose’s slanderous statements against her for fear of undermining the many individuals who came forward in truth. She opted not to add to the feeding frenzy, allowing her name and her reputation to be sullied despite having done nothing wrong. She never chose to be a public figure; that choice was taken away from her.

Now that Jill can no longer speak for herself, it’s time to set the record straight.

In January 1997, Jill was an entry-level manager at Addis Wechsler. One of her first clients was Rose McGowan, and one of Jill’s first duties was to set up a breakfast meeting with Harvey Weinstein during the Sundance Film Festival. Following the meeting, Rose told Jill what had happened — that she made the decision to remove her clothes and get in the hot tub with him — a mistake which Rose immediately regretted. Rose never once used the word rape in that conversation. Despite this, Jill recognized that Harvey had done something untoward to Rose, if not illegal. She immediately went to her bosses, the partners of Addis Wechsler, to recount Rose’s story and to insist that they immediately address the situation. They told Jill that they would handle the situation. The ensuing arrangements between Rose and Harvey were then negotiated, completely without Jill’s knowledge. At that time, all Jill knew was that the matter was settled and that Rose continued making films with the Weinsteins. She never knew any details until recently, when Rose elected to make them public.

Ten months later, in November of 1997, Jill received a call from the Miramax exec VP of production, recruiting her for a job as an executive at Miramax Films working in production in Los Angeles. Jill was hired based on merit and her excellent work of over two years as a young development executive working with Woods Entertainment (prior to her time at Addis Wechsler).

Rose’s most recent round of press to promote her book has included new stories involving Jill. The constant press attention Rose has garnered in print and on national TV led to Harvey Weinstein releasing two documents. One of these was an email that Jill wrote to him months prior to the first New York Times piece coming out, and at his request. In this email, Jill offered the truth based on what she remembers Rose telling her about the Sundance account. In the face of Rose’s continued and embellished accusations last week, Harvey took it upon himself to release the email without her consent.

Five years ago, Jill suffered a manic episode. Anyone familiar with bipolar disorder knows that it is a cruel and vicious disease. With the help of doctors, her family and friends, Jill rebounded. Jill had fought to put her life back together. After a long job search, she was in negotiations to run the production division for a new entertainment company.

Seeing her name in headlines again and again, as part of one person’s attempt to gain more attention for her personal cause, along with Harvey’s desperate attempt to vindicate himself, was devastating for her. It broke Jill, who was just starting to get her life back on track. What makes Rose’s inaccurate accusations and insinuations against Jill ironic was that she was the first person who stood up on Rose’s behalf, and alerted her bosses to the horrific experience which Rose suffered. Twenty years ago, as a very junior person in a management company hierarchy, Jill exhibited her integrity in doing the right thing — she raised the red flag with the heads of her firm. In the face of inappropriate behavior, Jill handled the situation appropriately.

Hers is one of the only stories that has stayed consistent over time as we watch other media reported tales morph to beget further attention.

While journalists serve an important role in exposing predatory behavior, we are seeing irresponsible choices and an addiction to sensationalism which leads to inconsistent storytelling. The media is a powerful tool not to be taken lightly. Most individuals would be horrified to have their name spotlighted in a major international news story — let alone their photograph. We cannot forget that the media is a fearsome tool which cannot be used indiscriminately or even inadvertently to create further victims.

There is a responsibility when using a platform to accurately expose criminals, predators, mistruths and misdeeds while protecting the actual truth of third parties.

As we collectively seek to take action in an effort to right the wrongs so brazenly and inhumanely repeated for a generation, we must not forget one simple truth: Words have power. While we illuminate the dark corners for hidden truths, we must remember that what we say, particularly in the media, can have just as much impact if not more than our actions. We must ask more of ourselves, and of each other. We must take a moment to consider the ramifications and consequences of what we say and what we do.

Words matter.

Someone’s life may depend on it.

Well fuck. That is sad. And sorry / not sorry, what was done to Rose is no excuse for what happened to this woman. If in fact, what her family is saying is true.

I don't remember what Rose said about this woman.
    Nevan, sparkles and maryk like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

In the face of Rose’s continued and embellished accusations last week

Interesting
    Nevan likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Wow.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

So sad. So many people damaged and hurt.
    tulip likes this.

That breaks my heart.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADel View Post
    Words matter.

Someone's life may depend on it.
    Indeed. Now, what will the Messick family do, if Rose kills herself (God forbid) because of this article.

Rose spoke up for herself, just like they're speaking up for themselves (and Jill Messick). There will alwas be differing accounts of something that happened years ago. It's irresponsible of them to blame Rose for Jill's suicide. Besides, this is the first time I hear of Jill Messick, so it's not like Rose mentions her in every other tweet.
    lindsaywhit, redcat and BrickHouse like this.

Elite Member

The ripple effects of sexual assault and abuse are astounding.

Unbelievable how much damage one man (Harvey) has caused over the years.
    BrickHouse likes this.

'If you were an actress you had to take your top off': Joanna Lumley reveals she felt pressured to strip for 1971 film role - after admitting she DOESN'T regret working with Weinstein

• Actress Joanna Lumley, 71, has spoken out over the Harvey Weinstein scandal
    • The star said she is 'full of sympathy for the horrors that have gone on'
    • But argued women should also take responsibility for the decisions they make
    • Added: 'Don't go to his hotel room if you're not sure because it won't end well'

By UNITY BLOTT FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 10:43, 18 February 2018 | UPDATED: 11:09, 18 February 2018

She ruffled feathers last week by weighing in on the Harvey Weinstein scandal.
    And Joanna Lumley has spoken out once again on the pressures faced by women working in the film industry.
    The actress, 71, famously stripped for her role in 1971 comedy Games That Lovers Play, in which she starred alongside Penny Brahms as a brothel owner.
    Speaking to the Sunday Mirror, the Absolutely Fabulous star said: 'In those days if you were an actress you had to take you top off or they would have said you’re not a real actress.
    'I got my top off. We had to. Look, Diana Rigg has done it. Julie Christie has done it.'

+

Outspoken: Joanna Lumley has spoken out once again on the pressures faced by women working in the film industry, admitting she feared not being taken seriously as an actress

+

Pressure: The actress, 71, famously stripped for her role in 1971 comedy Games That Lovers Play, in which she starred alongside Penny Brahms as a brothel owner

Lumley, who is hosting tonight's BAFTAs awards ceremony in London, added: 'That was a tough one as I had not gone to drama school. I was afraid they’d say, "If you don’t take your top off you’re not serious about your profession."'
    Referring to a 'sleazier' atmosphere on set during filming, she added: 'It is quite interesting in these Weinstein days.'

The veteran actress raised eyebrows recently by suggesting that women need to take greater responsibility for their actions in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein sex scandal.
    Lumley insisted she was in 'full of sympathy for the horrors that have gone on' but said women should 'speak up' if they are put in an uncomfortable situation.
    Speaking to Hello! magazine, she said: 'If you don't know whether to take your pants off, don't suddenly scream later "I really didn't want to do it". And don't go to his hotel room if you're not sure, because it won't end well.'

+7

Joanna Lumley, 71, recently said she is 'full of sympathy for the horrors that have gone on' but insisted women need to 'speak up' if they are put in an uncomfortable situation

+7

The actress commented on the recent wave of sexual harassment claims in Hollywood including those against Harvey Weinstein, pictured, saying 'it was - and is - everywhere'

+7

Lumley will wear black to the BAFTAs but is not doing it in support of the #MeToo movement. Like at the Golden Globes (pictured) actors will wear black as a stance against harassment

Lumley, who is taking over from Stephen Fry as the presenter of the BAFTAs tonight, also admitted she was 'lucky because she is not predator fodder'.
    Speaking on the scandal, she said sexual harassment 'was - and is - everywhere'.
    'I'm full of sympathy for the horrors that have gone on, but at the same time, women need to know what they are or aren't going to do,' she commented.
    'It's your ship, you're the captain, so if somebody does something you don't like, speak up. Don't feel you ought to do it because you need a job.'
    Lumley will be wearing black to the awards show in London on Sunday but will not be doing it as a show of support with the #MeToo movement, unlike many other stars who will be follow those who took a stand on the Golden Globes red carpet.

Lumley, pictured in London in January 2016, said she was fortunate not to be 'predator fodder'

She added: 'I had to choose how I would look before any of this blew up.'

Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes became the latest person to break his silence about disgraced movie mogul Weinstein, with whom he worked on his ITV drama, Doctor Thorne.
    Speaking for the first time since the Hollywood producer was accused of sexual harassment last year, Lord Fellowes admits he deliberately overlooked rumours about Weinstein's behaviour because he wanted his show to be successful.
    'Did I know what was going on? I knew the rumours and I think the reality exceeded the rumours — if what everyone's saying happened, happened,' says Fellowes.

Lumley is best known for her role opposite Jennifer Saunders in Absolutely Fabulous

'But in the end Harvey was a very talented producer and he marketed the show in America very well.
    'And because I'm a man, and not a particularly good-looking one, that was all there was to it. He was buying a product, and he sold it well, and I'm grateful for that.'
    Speaking at the Services To Film inaugural gala dinner, in aid of Walking With The Wounded, Fellowes adds: 'I don't think I can say I regret working with him.
    'I think subsequent events have cast a shadow, as they must, but all through our lives we go through situations without understanding the significance of them.'

Joanna Lumley felt pressured to strip for 1971 movie role | Daily Mail Online
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Added: 'Don't go to his hotel room if you're not sure because it won't end well'
    Like it has been said, ad nauseum, the guy had a hotel suite that was basically an office, with a bedroom attached. How does someone like Lumley not know this?
    Nevan, mostroop, Kittylady and 1 others like this.

And look at the careers he buried---It's not only what Mo said, about his hotel suite being an office (hes a millionaire! It's not some Motel 6 room, he probably has a full suite with a living room and office and kitchen, where it feels less intimate), but also that someone may be too afraid to "speak up" like she says to do, because he could ruin what they've been working hard for. Youre not "the captain of your ship" when someone can easily sink you into obscurity.

Elite Member

The end is near, it seems.
    https://jezebel.com/the-weinstein-co...tcy-1823314884

The Weinstein Co. Says It Will Declare Bankruptcy
    The Weinstein Company announced in a letter from its board directors on Sunday that it will file for bankruptcy, following a failed acquisition from prospective buyers.

The mini-major film studio, which has been beleaguered since co-founder Harvey Weinstein’s alleged sexual misconduct came to light last October, had been working on an acquisition deal with investors Rob Burkle and Maria Contreras-Sweet, but after attending a meeting with them and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on Sunday, it appears that deal is dead. The NY Daily News reports that Burkle and Contreras-Sweet would not comply with some of their demands, which included implementing a “gold standard” human resources policy.

Deadline got a copy of the full memo from the board directors, which confirms the company will pursue bankruptcy. In it, the board says they hoped the deal would preserve jobs and establish a “victim’s fund” to compensate women who were allegedly sexually abused by Weinstein, as well as comply with an agreement made with AG Schneiderman. It appears the board was not satisfied with Burkle and Contreras-Sweet’s offer:

We have believed in this Company and in the goals set forth by the Attorney General. Based on the events of the past week, however, we must conclude that your plan to buy this company was illusory and would only leave this Company hobbling toward its demise to the detriment of all constituents. This Board will not let that happen. Despite your previous statements, it is simply impossible to avoid the conclusion that you have no intention to sign an agreement – much less to close one – and no desire to save valuable assets and jobs. That is regrettable, but not in our power to change.

While we deeply regret that your actions have led to this unfortunate outcome for our employees, our creditors and any victims, we will now pursue the Board’s only viable option to maximize the Company’s remaining value: an orderly bankruptcy process.

According to Forbes, the Weinstein Co. was already suffering financially before firing Harvey Weinstein on October 8, 2017. Weinstein, who has been accused of sexual misconduct and assault by dozens of women, subsequently resigned from the company’s board.

Thread Information