Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow rules out trust fund for kids

  1. #16
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    Somehow, I think she is lying...

  2. #17
    Elite Member aabbcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Watching the sun set over Lake Superior.
    Posts
    18,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Did she say "University"? Uh, Gwyn, you're not ACTUALLY British.
    What? There's a difference between a college and a university. I've been to both. Nowadays, I'll say I went to university because I just spent five years there. I'm not British either.

    I guess I'm not getting your point here.

  3. #18
    Hit By Ban Bus! Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere.
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    ^Yes, there's a difference, but in England, they say "university." It's a British thing. In America (and Gwynnie forgets she's American) we say "college" whether or not we're attending a university. When you're 18, you go to college, not "university." She's not saying it to make a distinction in the education sector, she's saying "university" to sound British.

    ....It's like, the way the British say "on holiday" instead of "on vacation."

    I decided I'd like to punch her in the mouth.

  4. #19
    Elite Member ana-mish-ana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,210

    Default

    Yeah colleges in the UK are basically places to get either vocational courses/apprenticeships or qualifications to get into university. But since shes an American then I cant understand why she doesnt say Colleges. This makes her sounds stupid because there is nothing wrong in saying that - it makes her look more pretentious.

  5. #20
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,363

    Default

    You can go to either, it depends on the institution, where you go the type of course etc.
    Oxford & Cambridge University have multiple colleges... so there is no rhyme or reason to it.

    I thought that the "American" thing was to call it "school"???

    Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Yeah colleges in the UK are basically places to get either vocational courses/apprenticeships or qualifications to get into university. But since shes an American then I cant understand why she doesnt say Colleges. This makes her sounds stupid because there is nothing wrong in saying that - it makes her look more pretentious.
    Erm... yes, but also... teacher training colleges (which do B. Eds) were traditionally colleges, not Unis.
    Free Charmed.

  6. #21
    Elite Member aabbcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Watching the sun set over Lake Superior.
    Posts
    18,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    ....It's like, the way the British say "on holiday" instead of "on vacation."
    ... I say "on holiday". I'm also very fond of "bugger" and "prat". I must have more of my English granny in me than I thought.

    I'll have to pick up a few Scottish colloquialisms to honour my grandfather.

  7. #22
    Hit By Ban Bus! Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere.
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You can go to either, it depends on the institution, where you go the type of course etc.
    Oxford & Cambridge University have multiple colleges... so there is no rhyme or reason to it.

    I thought that the "American" thing was to call it "school"???
    The point isn't about levels of education. The point is that Gwyneth said "when I was at university." She's American. She's deliberately adopting a British manner of speaking. When you go to a college or university, in America, you say you are in college. Nobody here ever says "when I was at university."

    I lived in England for a year. I love it. It is my favorite place. And I'm an Anglophile, yes, and I can do three different spot-on English accents, but I don't go around acting like I'm actually BRITISH.

  8. #23
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,363

    Default

    But aabbcc - aren't you Candian? So you're not American???

    There are some places in American that do still use english words. I remember asking someone for some pop & getting given a can of cola... I was surprised he knew what I meant but I think he was from PA? Its was def a New England state....


    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    The point isn't about levels of education. The point is that Gwyneth said "when I was at university." She's American. She's deliberately adopting a British manner of speaking. When you go to a college or university, in America, you say you are in college. Nobody here ever says "when I was at university."
    but I lived in the US for a couple of years and still use "americanism" sometimes its just easier to get a point across or be understood.
    Free Charmed.

  9. #24
    Elite Member Sweetie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Den of the roving cunty bitches
    Posts
    24,533

    Default

    Maybe she said University because she actually went to the University of California, SB.

    It's like the people that I know that went straight to Universtiy of North Carolina at Chapel Hill after highschool; they all went to a University, not a college.

  10. #25
    Elite Member Belinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    going to hell in a handbasket
    Posts
    3,180

    Default

    She does come across as very pretentious and IMO wishes she were British...

  11. #26
    Hit By Ban Bus! Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere.
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    But aabbcc - aren't you Candian? So you're not American???

    There are some places in American that do still use english words. I remember asking someone for some pop & getting given a can of cola... I was surprised he knew what I meant but I think he was from PA? Its was def a New England state....



    but I lived in the US for a couple of years and still use "americanism" sometimes its just easier to get a point across or be understood.
    Yes, but you're not spoiled and pretentious like Gwyneth!

    We all use phrases now and then. Gwyneth is as bad as Madonna for acting like such a poseur.

  12. #27
    Elite Member aabbcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Watching the sun set over Lake Superior.
    Posts
    18,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    But aabbcc - aren't you Candian? So you're not American???
    Yes, I am. Born in Canada, lived here all my life, never plan to leave.

    Novice, a question for you ... this weekend is our long Victoria Day weekend. I'm curious ... is Victoria Day celebrated as a holiday off work in the UK too? I would assume it is seeing as Queen Victoria was one of your monarchs, but I'm often wrong when I assume things.

  13. #28
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    42,363

    Default

    Yes, we have monday off, but it's called Whitsun I think.....
    I'm off work next week! I plan to sleep a lot!
    Oh, and yes Vicky was one of ours, the 2nd longest ruling monarch (as I think Lizzy has just surpasted her).

    Here you go Bank Holiday; - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and despite the fact I practically live in Scotland, because I work for the English Govt, I don't get the extra holidays

    In m experinece Canadians speak Canadian, not American.... some of the words are English (like the place not the language...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Yes, but you're not spoiled and pretentious like Gwyneth!
    ... I think you're reaching there... hee hee! I know people that you disagree! (mainly my other half!)
    Free Charmed.

  14. #29
    Hit By Ban Bus! Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere.
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    ^Come on! You know Gwyneth would never drink a Wonky Nipple with us.

  15. #30
    Silver Member Heavenseventeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    But I do think she's right about the trust funds - look at the Hollywood trustfunders - Paris, Brandon Davis, etc. What a waste of space they are.
    Exactly, which is why my kids won't get a multi-million pound trust fund at such a young age either (hopefully by that time I'll be rich/wealthy!). It makes them lazy and they feel there's nothing to work for. Yes, self satisfaction but that can only go so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Yeah colleges in the UK are basically places to get either vocational courses/apprenticeships or qualifications to get into university. But since shes an American then I cant understand why she doesnt say Colleges. This makes her sounds stupid because there is nothing wrong in saying that - it makes her look more pretentious.
    Well, being in England for so long she'd obviously start talking like the English do. If she'd said "college" then American newspapers would know what she means but our readers would think she meant our college instead. By saying "university" it's clear on both sides of the Atlantic which institute she's talking about.

    I guess this is another case of when an American star decides to live in a different country, the Americans left behind get angry. Same with Madonna. There are other countries to live in, you know?
    Last edited by Heavenseventeen; May 19th, 2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: The World Is Yours...
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rumer Willis: I’m not a trust fund baby
    By DevilDoll2025 in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: April 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
  2. Gwyneth Paltrow
    By mrs.v in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: July 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: November 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 21st, 2006, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •