Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow rules out trust fund for kids

Somehow, I think she is lying...

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Did she say "University"? Uh, Gwyn, you're not ACTUALLY British.
    What? There's a difference between a college and a university. I've been to both. Nowadays, I'll say I went to university because I just spent five years there. I'm not British either.

I guess I'm not getting your point here.

^Yes, there's a difference, but in England, they say "university." It's a British thing. In America (and Gwynnie forgets she's American) we say "college" whether or not we're attending a university. When you're 18, you go to college, not "university." She's not saying it to make a distinction in the education sector, she's saying "university" to sound British.

....It's like, the way the British say "on holiday" instead of "on vacation."

I decided I'd like to punch her in the mouth.

Yeah colleges in the UK are basically places to get either vocational courses/apprenticeships or qualifications to get into university. But since shes an American then I cant understand why she doesnt say Colleges. This makes her sounds stupid because there is nothing wrong in saying that - it makes her look more pretentious.

You can go to either, it depends on the institution, where you go the type of course etc.
    Oxford & Cambridge University have multiple colleges... so there is no rhyme or reason to it.

I thought that the "American" thing was to call it "school"???

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Yeah colleges in the UK are basically places to get either vocational courses/apprenticeships or qualifications to get into university. But since shes an American then I cant understand why she doesnt say Colleges. This makes her sounds stupid because there is nothing wrong in saying that - it makes her look more pretentious.
    Erm... yes, but also... teacher training colleges (which do B. Eds) were traditionally colleges, not Unis.
    Free Charmed.

....It's like, the way the British say "on holiday" instead of "on vacation."
    ... I say "on holiday". I'm also very fond of "bugger" and "prat". I must have more of my English granny in me than I thought.

I'll have to pick up a few Scottish colloquialisms to honour my grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You can go to either, it depends on the institution, where you go the type of course etc.
    Oxford & Cambridge University have multiple colleges... so there is no rhyme or reason to it.

I thought that the "American" thing was to call it "school"???
    The point isn't about levels of education. The point is that Gwyneth said "when I was at university." She's American. She's deliberately adopting a British manner of speaking. When you go to a college or university, in America, you say you are in college. Nobody here ever says "when I was at university."

I lived in England for a year. I love it. It is my favorite place. And I'm an Anglophile, yes, and I can do three different spot-on English accents, but I don't go around acting like I'm actually BRITISH.

But aabbcc - aren't you Candian? So you're not American???

There are some places in American that do still use english words. I remember asking someone for some pop & getting given a can of cola... I was surprised he knew what I meant but I think he was from PA? Its was def a New England state....

The point isn't about levels of education. The point is that Gwyneth said "when I was at university." She's American. She's deliberately adopting a British manner of speaking. When you go to a college or university, in America, you say you are in college. Nobody here ever says "when I was at university."
    but I lived in the US for a couple of years and still use "americanism" sometimes its just easier to get a point across or be understood.
    Free Charmed.

Maybe she said University because she actually went to the University of California, SB.

It's like the people that I know that went straight to Universtiy of North Carolina at Chapel Hill after highschool; they all went to a University, not a college.

She does come across as very pretentious and IMO wishes she were British...

There are some places in American that do still use english words. I remember asking someone for some pop & getting given a can of cola... I was surprised he knew what I meant but I think he was from PA? Its was def a New England state....

but I lived in the US for a couple of years and still use "americanism" sometimes its just easier to get a point across or be understood.
    Yes, but you're not spoiled and pretentious like Gwyneth!

We all use phrases now and then. Gwyneth is as bad as Madonna for acting like such a poseur.

Yes, I am. Born in Canada, lived here all my life, never plan to leave.

Novice, a question for you ... this weekend is our long Victoria Day weekend. I'm curious ... is Victoria Day celebrated as a holiday off work in the UK too? I would assume it is seeing as Queen Victoria was one of your monarchs, but I'm often wrong when I assume things.

Yes, we have monday off, but it's called Whitsun I think.....
    I'm off work next week! I plan to sleep a lot!
    Oh, and yes Vicky was one of ours, the 2nd longest ruling monarch (as I think Lizzy has just surpasted her).

Here you go Bank Holiday; - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and despite the fact I practically live in Scotland, because I work for the English Govt, I don't get the extra holidays

In m experinece Canadians speak Canadian, not American.... some of the words are English (like the place not the language...)

Yes, but you're not spoiled and pretentious like Gwyneth!
    ... I think you're reaching there... hee hee! I know people that you disagree! (mainly my other half!)
    Free Charmed.

^Come on! You know Gwyneth would never drink a Wonky Nipple with us.

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    But I do think she's right about the trust funds - look at the Hollywood trustfunders - Paris, Brandon Davis, etc. What a waste of space they are.
    Exactly, which is why my kids won't get a multi-million pound trust fund at such a young age either (hopefully by that time I'll be rich/wealthy!). It makes them lazy and they feel there's nothing to work for. Yes, self satisfaction but that can only go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Well, being in England for so long she'd obviously start talking like the English do. If she'd said "college" then American newspapers would know what she means but our readers would think she meant our college instead. By saying "university" it's clear on both sides of the Atlantic which institute she's talking about.

I guess this is another case of when an American star decides to live in a different country, the Americans left behind get angry. Same with Madonna. There are other countries to live in, you know?
    Last edited by Heavenseventeen; May 19th, 2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: The World Is Yours...
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information