Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Miracle Whip is the devil's semen.
    He must have a hell of a prostate gland because that stuff is everywhere.
    OMG - you can buy VODKA at the British Aldi's???? You are just taunting me now!

I would not get liquor from the Aldi.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm from the mid-Atlantic, never heard of the banana sandwiches. I remember a neighbor ate peanut butter and butter sandwiches. That's a lot of stuff going on.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

It's been a while since I lived in MD, but you still can't buy alcohol in the grocery stores? Man, here, you can get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    It's been a while since I lived in MD, but you still can't buy alcohol in the grocery stores? Man, here, you can get anything.
    No, you can't, and it's because the beer and wine stores have a very strong lobby apparently. There are a few stores grandfathered into the law - a Giant in White Oak, a Safeway in Briggs Chaney, and a 7-11 in Glenmont.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I would evangelize the liquor from Aldi like a Jehovah's Witness.
    Novice and spinmonkey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by misrule View Post
    except she has the bone density of someone in their 80's :-P But I agree with your point!
    Yes, and she stayed out of the sun for years because it might give her a wrinkle. Then she discovered that her bones were crumbling and the sun was good and now she has almost as many bikini vacations as Princess Beatrice, er LeAnn Rimes.
    spinmonkey likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    I am from and in the south, and have never tried Miracle Whip! Here, it's Duke's or Hellman's for all things involving mayonnaise.
    I thought that Miracle Whip was a type of non-dairy cream for desserts.....

Vodka, Post Rum Whisky Cognac
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-ra...rinks/spirits/
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    All the more for us.... and the reviewers....https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/about-aldi...hallenge-2014/
    Aldi's Irish Cream Liqueur wins Master Medal at Spirits Business Liqueur Masters 2014 awards | Daily Mail Online
    Aldi takes on Fortnum and Mason with £76 wine for £19 - Telegraph

You do know that Aldi is part of the same group that owns Trader Joes right?

No, you can't, and it's because the beer and wine stores have a very strong lobby apparently. There are a few stores grandfathered into the law - a Giant in White Oak, a Safeway in Briggs Chaney, and a 7-11 in Glenmont.

I would evangelize the liquor from Aldi like a Jehovah's Witness.
    They really are good!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Elite Member

Growing up (and still today) I have banana sandwich with regular butter. None of that fancy stuff for me. Although thinking about it: Banana sandwich with Nutella - possibly toasted. Might be worth trying.

I don't shop at Trader Joe's. I'd have to travel to Nashville or Birmingham, AL to do it. This store does not exist in my area.

I just mostly hate cheap booze. With some exceptions.

Hell, right now I'm not much for any booze.
    Novice and rollo like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Yeah, I can understand that!!!
    Free Charmed.

Here in Ontario, you can't buy liquor anywhere except at the LCBO liquor stores. Some grocery stores have wine, but it's in a separate enclosed area within the store, not out on the shelves. Beer, go to the Beer Store. It's always such a weird experience for me to go over to a convenience store in Michigan and see booze so openly available.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You do know that Aldi is part of the same group that owns Trader Joes right?
    I thought they were owned by brothers in competition with each other after they split up their inheritance. One brother owns Aldi and the other has Trader Joes?

I have said it before but Aldi is terrible around here. The closest is 15-20 minutes away, and is dirty. The produce is a shameful selection. I tried them twice and never went back. They don't stand a chance around here against Wegmans.

In PA we have to go to the State store to buy wine or alcohol, but to a beer distributor if you want beer. It's insane. I drive the 20 minutes to the state line and go to Total Wines in Delaware. There I can get anything I want and it's the size of a supermarket. It's like Disney World for adults.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Here, people go to Aldi and Wegman's for entirely different reasons. I am a big admirer of how Aldi manages to tuck an entire grocery store into such a compact space. Before I ever knew what it was, I thought Aldi was some kind of specialty marine store or something. You could put it anywhere, which is why I'm surprised that there aren't more of them around here.

I get it about some of the stores appearing dirty. There is one in Monmouth/Tinton Falls NJ that is really disappointing compared to the ones here.

Wegman's is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's like building a castle. The one we have took what seemed like a year to build - huge and all kind of issues putting in parking, etc. But the reaction here was like the Beatles coming to America. It has the best of the best of almost everything and it's almost always a madhouse in there. Beautiful store. Where else can you get an aged Spanish ham that will cost you $90 a pound? That being said, when Mrs. Mohandas and I can sneak off on a weekend afternoon by ourselves, we will go to the buffet at Wegman's and take the food up to the loft area and just relax and eat and talk - I love that.

From what I remember, Aldi and Trader Joe's were owned by the Albrecht brothers. I think Aldi was started by their father. And one brother eventually broke away and started Trader Joe's. Also one of the brothers had been kidnapped in the 1970s by the Red Brigades and held for something like $7 Million in ransom. They paid a ransom for him, and he was released, and I think both of them basically stayed out of public life after that. The last brother passed away last year or the year before. I think Novice probably knows more of this story than I do.
    dksnj likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'm from the mid-Atlantic, never heard of the banana sandwiches. I remember a neighbor ate peanut butter and butter sandwiches. That's a lot of stuff going on.
    IDK maybe it's a regional thing even within states. I did a little googling about it, and there are people in VA, NC, SC, TN and GA who are familiar with banana/mayo sandwiches. I couldn't find where the idea originated from, however, and I even read the Facebook page. Yes, there's a facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Banan...974068?fref=ts

Novice, you were thinking of Cool Whip, that's the sweet, frozen whipped cream "product" that comes in a tub. Miracle Whip is some kind of dressing/mayo pretender.
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I thought that Miracle Whip was a type of non-dairy cream for desserts.....
    That is Cool Whip. Fake whipped cream.
    My mom used to make peanut butter and butter with lettuce sandwiches. My grandfather put peanut butter on his hamburgers. I did not carry on either of these to my kids.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information