Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

There's a local LA assemblyman who decided to take the challenge using CalFresh, which is basically the state of California's food stamp program. Looks like you do a bit better here, as a family of three. His budget is $511 for a family of three. The biggest problem he's facing is what's called the "food desert" in urban parts of the city. The big grocery chains have pulled out of the city and the more impoverished neighborhoods. The families there are offered little in the way of choice. They have a fast food on three corners and a small convenience store type grocery store on the other. Food is often pre-packaged and marked up over 100%. Sometimes, there's a basket of apples or bananas and the fruit is $1 or $2 per piece.

If I'm being honest, I could probably do the $511 per month for the meals during the weekdays. Of course, that's with a stocked pantry and items that I've frozen (like herbs and broths). Plus, things that I have in the fridge. Butter is expensive. Anyway, I typically cook just during the "work" week. Actually, I usually cook dinner Sunday through Thursday or Friday. Fridays and Saturdays we tend to go out to dinner. We also typically go out to lunch on weekends. I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the week. Breakfast is typically coffee for me, but I make my kid a full breakfast. I also make lunch for the two of us. Snacks, of course, are part of it. She's loves fresh fruit and raw, fresh veggies. That tends to be where I spend a lot. Plus, fruit and veggies don't last very long. Especially things for salads.

I think it's sometimes more economical to feed a larger family on a budget. Again, with the up front costs. You can purchase chicken in bulk, chicken that you'll use to feed your family that week, whereas a smaller family would have to eat up a large chunk of their weekly allotment just to eat a bit of the chicken and try to freeze it.

Lot's to think about. We should all track what we spend for a week and see how we come out

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Lot's to think about. We should all track what we spend for a week and see how we come out
    I have my Aldi shopping list from last night. I could post it to see what comparative costs look like. Some fresh fruit and vegetables are fairly affordable. If you buy them in season and at a particular store. Strawberries were $1.39 a pound last night. I think mushrooms were $1.39 per container. Fresh spinach is about $1.80 per package - I forget what the size is. I have to take someone to soccer practice first, though....
    Novice likes this.

i spend an average of 200 / week to feed my family of three not counting eating out which we do most of the weekend except Sunday dinner. I could easily shave that number down if I skipped anything organic, prepackaged or snack-y (the hubs loves ice cream!) and stuck to chicken and ground beef, cut out higher end meats as well as any steak, pork tenderloin and roasts. Also, that number includes cleaning supplies, soap, sponges, etc. So maybe we could live on $150 per week or $50.00 per person.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I don't want to give the pretentious twit too much of a hard time. At least she tried (and failed).

However I have no idea how they are coming up with this $29 number. My son's baby mamma milks the system and she is getting $600 a month in food stamps in PA for her and her two kids. (She won't marry my son because she would lose all those groovy incentives).

I'm not heartless and I know that there are people out there that really need help, but my son's baby momma is just the type of person that pisses off the masses.

When I was in college, I ate a crapload of Ramen noodles, and went fishing on the weekends. I'm not saying everyone has to do it like that, especially with children, but FFS, I DIDN'T SPEND $600 a month for two kids, and I was actually WORKING. (as a police officer no less).

/rant.
    Bombshell likes this.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    So am I to take it that anything I post needs to be cleared through you and approved?

I can post any fucking thing I want, including the speculation that Goopy's husband left her for a younger woman, and that her career is [obviously] washed up, and that she's desperate to stay in the limelight because she's an attention whore.

Or is it that younger woman thing has scratched a bad spot in your Social Warrior Feminism Justice, eh?

(I usually eschew internet battling matches. I'm feeling like taking this one on at the moment.)

Knock yourself out babe.

But own the fact that you're being a misogynist. have the balls to say if a man cheats or leaves its the wife's fault. when you blame women for what their husbands or ex-husbands do that's what you're doing. The old 'he had to go somewhere else because the wife wasn't doing her wifely duties' went out with the advent of electric light.

And we'll all end up 42 someday, if we're lucky. So I guess if men walk out on us for a younger woman it's our fault for not having the ability to stay 22 forever.

Please share your wisdom on how to avoid getting older oh wise one. There are probably some women here that have been in that situation and I'm sure they'd like to know what they could have done to have not had that happen.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 18th, 2015 at 03:58 PM.
    Kittylady and Serendipity like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    No one is suggesting she has failed as a woman.

I'm saying she's a washed up movie star, trying to hang on to her celebrity status through desperate shit like international franchised hair blow-dry bars at exorbitant prices, dandelion colonic cleanse diets, food faddishism publicised far and wide, and a hubby who flew the coop for a girl half her age.

It's her decision how to move forward with her life as a woman. It appears she has no idea how to do so. She still thinks of herself as the dazzling damsel from 'Shakespeare in Love' and long since has had no idea what to do after that.

But it is evident that she will go great lengths to keep her image in front of the public to make a buck, and the Daily Mail has been very accommodating in that regard.

Who doesn't love the Daily Mail? I know I do.
    Sliding Doors was SO much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I have my Aldi shopping list from last night. I could post it to see what comparative costs look like. Some fresh fruit and vegetables are fairly affordable. If you buy them in season and at a particular store. Strawberries were $1.39 a pound last night. I think mushrooms were $1.39 per container. Fresh spinach is about $1.80 per package - I forget what the size is. I have to take someone to soccer practice first, though....
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-ra...it-veg-offers/

And...... didn't Goopy & The Bore split because she was enjoying extra marrital dick (as well as him enjoying 20-year=younger-minge)?
    Kittylady likes this.
    Free Charmed.

She was cheating? Clearly her husband's fault......
    sluce, Kittylady and Novice like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Guess he got too old.
    witchcurlgirl and Kittylady like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i've spent a lot of time in the south and have never heard of a banana sandwich. where in the south do they eat that?
    I'm not saying exactly where I'm from, but mid-Atlantic south, not deep south like Louisiana and no, not Florida!

I'm not a fan of mayo either, so I always spread it super-thin, just enough so the bananas would stick to the bread and not fall off. Haven't had one in years though.

For instance:

SAy What? Banana Sandwich Recipe - Food.com

And this:

http://blackfolk.livejournal.com/7339195.html

Oh, and I forgot about bologna sandwiches with yellow mustard. My mom used to toast them and the bologna would roll up a little as it toasted.

And then we also had cinnamon toast - spread butter on bread, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar and toast.

We ate a lot of crap in the 70's! We weren't even poor. My family was just super frugal. But we raised cows so we always had meat in the freezer and there was always a garden and home canning.
    Last edited by travelbug; April 18th, 2015 at 07:03 PM.

Banana sandwiches were pretty common growing up here too. After school my friend would always crave banana on a white bread roll, especially if we'd played sport. She sometimes added honey. I liked mine plain but the bread had to be really fresh (like straight out of the oven).
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

My husband who was raised in Mississippi, LOVES Miracle Whip and Banana sandwiches on white bread. I have to leave the room when he eats them because it makes me queasy just thinking about it. He keeps saying I should try it.

Oh. Hell. No.
    sprynkles likes this.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

Miracle Whip is the devil's semen.
    sluce, sprynkles, czb and 6 others like this.

I am from and in the south, and have never tried Miracle Whip! Here, it's Duke's or Hellman's for all things involving mayonnaise.

czb

mmmm hellman's. out in cali, best=hellman's.

the only time i ever thought miracle whip was halfway palatable was in a chicken salad. it hid the sweetness (a little bit).

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    For all her faults, Paltrow is built like someone in her twenties. And a fit twentysomething at that. .
    except she has the bone density of someone in their 80's :-P But I agree with your point!
    Beeyotch and rollo like this.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information