Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Good man. your budget is right in line with the $29 per person a week.

I don't know if its good or bad, but that's not much more what we spend on dinner alone daily, if we cook at home. Meat or fish, fresh veg, bread. It adds up quick. I mean of course some nights it's a little less.

Just the other night I made meatballs and the meat alone was about $12 for 2lbs of beef. Add the cost of all the things that go in, plus a salad and a loaf of bakery bread and that meal was $20. Food adds up quickly.
    I agree. We are just very, very basic and predictable. Greysfang gives me grief for it, but I shop at Aldi all the time -- out here, they are really clean stores. Plus shopping at BJ's. So, I will buy 4-dozen eggs for $6. Two loaves of wheat bread is only like $2.20 total. We buy about 3 gallons of skim milk a week and it costs about $8 total. A gigantic container of regular oatmeal is like $2. We do buy meat, though. Usually frozen. We have steak every Sunday.

I realize I'm in a really privileged position related to someone struggling financially. It's just one of my many quirks that I like to figure out how to do certain things on a budget. And that I have one tenth of the taste buds that the average person has.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Can we call this thread "Gwyneth Paltrow not doing the food stamp challenge?"
    Gladly, but I don't know how to. Maybe it's a mod job?
    sprouts likes this.

Vegetables and bread are the killers. I expect to spend on poultry, meat, fish, but the prices of veggies sometimes knock me out.

Good Italian or French bread runs about $2.50 -$3.50 a loaf. Its outrageous. And cheese, which we eat lots of. Its more than filet steak per pound.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^I just spent $4.50 on 1 head of cauliflower today, as a treat to myself. Veggies really can be ridiculously priced. I only cook vegan foods at home and tend to bake my own breads/muffins/etc, so my grocery list tens to run pretty cheaply if I'm just picking up vegetables and bulk items, but even without meat and breads I still run about $80 every two weeks (excluding coffee or snacks I pick up while out). I live pretty much on chili I make out of canned tomatoes, with cheap veggies (carrots from bulk, celery, onions, garlic, $1 zucchini, etc) and cheap beans, so I don't even eat extravagantly. But they just overcharge for veggies and frozen fruits and such, I want to begin growing my own this summer just so I'm not paying a fiver on cauliflower.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    Here's how Southerners eat on the cheap:

Banana sandwiches (sliced banana/mayo/bread)
    Tomato sandwiches (sliced tomato/mayo/bread) or BLT
    Chicken or tuna salad (sandwich optional)
    Pinto beans
    Vegetable soup
    Cheese toast (melted cheese on bread)
    Chili
    Chicken & dumplings (dough and boiled chicken in thick broth)
    Tomato soup (Campbell's) and grilled cheese sandwiches
    I may be biased by my hatred of mayonnaise, but banana and mayo??? How does that taste??

Like dirty ass, I imagine.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yeah that banana / mayo combo sounds revolting.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

czb

i've spent a lot of time in the south and have never heard of a banana sandwich. where in the south do they eat that?

Florida.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

czb

really? when i was in florida i ate rice and beans (manny & isa's).

Fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches were Elvis' favorite.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

My Mom grew up in Texas and she had peanut butter and banana sandwiches, but never mayo. They also ate peanut butter and kayro syrup sandwiched. YUCK
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

yeah, i have heard of PB&banana, but not banana and mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I don't see how anyone can do it, unless you're eating a meal of beans and rice every night. I'm not a gourmet cook and most of the meals I make are pretty simple. I made a simple, easy dish of chicken fajitas. The chicken, bell peppers, onion, limes, and tortilla cost about $14 dollars. That doesn't include what I already had at home: garlic, salt, pepper, seasoning, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.

Even when I make something that be divided up and thrown in the freezer for future meals, it costs plenty up front. A pot of homemade tomato/meat sauce costs about $30. Yes, it can be divided up and comes out to about ten meals, but the cost up front isn't cheap. The cost of establishing a pantry with the basics isn't cheap either. Salt, pepper, oils, spices, dried/canned beans, canned/jarred tomato paste, pickles, olives, rice, noodles.

I don't know, I think it's great people are paying attention. I don't care for Goopy, I find her annoying. Even if she did this as a publicity stunt, I hope people are listening. She's not the first person I've seen do it.
    I don't mind Gwyneth "trying" to do this, either. I think you raise some very interesting points, Kris, about having a stocked pantry and the ability to freeze/can/store things. I think it would be super interesting if someone who was fairly plugged in to poverty and social justice issues did this challenge in earnest and vlogged about it for like two months, addressing every issue they could think of along the way.

Some people over on the Knot, for example, are suggesting that they shop this cheaply most of the time but they worry that makes them sound like an asshole; well, I don't think it's a bad thing to point out what can be done to stretch a dollar and find deals. Stockpilers can start with an extra $5 a month and have a cellar full of food after a year or so. That's one good and valid exploration of the issue that may be able to help all people, not just those on benefits, and there's nothing wrong with talking about it.

But that could be taken further, to consider what happens if one is literally starting from scratch - perhaps a woman leaving an abusive partner - and literally has nothing in her pantry, no salt or pepper or oil or vinegar, perhaps no room in an apartment for a chest freezer, no canning jars, no pots and pans, no baking dishes or cookie sheets or loaf pans, no crockpot, no Ziploc bags, no hand mixer or other appliances, perhaps no money to pay the gas or electric. Perhaps someone works two or three jobs - do they have time to start a garden, or to make their own bread, or even to cook much of anything from scratch? It changes the landscape and it would take so much longer to get ahead or even make ends meet. Getting a month's worth of funds at a time would certainly help in this regard, or perhaps even getting two months' worth at first. I don't know the answer - there are just so many facets to this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I don't mind Gwyneth "trying" to do this, either. I think you raise some very interesting points, Kris, about having a stocked pantry and the ability to freeze/can/store things. I think it would be super interesting if someone who was fairly plugged in to poverty and social justice issues did this challenge in earnest and vlogged about it for like two months, addressing every issue they could think of along the way.

Some people over on the Knot, for example, are suggesting that they shop this cheaply most of the time but they worry that makes them sound like an asshole; well, I don't think it's a bad thing to point out what can be done to stretch a dollar and find deals. Stockpilers can start with an extra $5 a month and have a cellar full of food after a year or so. That's one good and valid exploration of the issue that may be able to help all people, not just those on benefits, and there's nothing wrong with talking about it.

But that could be taken further, to consider what happens if one is literally starting from scratch - perhaps a woman leaving an abusive partner - and literally has nothing in her pantry, no salt or pepper or oil or vinegar, perhaps no room in an apartment for a chest freezer, no canning jars, no pots and pans, no baking dishes or cookie sheets or loaf pans, no crockpot, no Ziploc bags, no hand mixer or other appliances, perhaps no money to pay the gas or electric. Perhaps someone works two or three jobs - do they have time to start a garden, or to make their own bread, or even to cook much of anything from scratch? It changes the landscape and it would take so much longer to get ahead or even make ends meet. Getting a month's worth of funds at a time would certainly help in this regard, or perhaps even getting two months' worth at first. I don't know the answer - there are just so many facets to this.
    That's what I was thinking about -- I could do this because I have a very well-stocked pantry. I'm a baker and I have all the basics on hand, which would only have to be periodically replenished. If I started from scratch, that $29 wouldn't go far at all. You would have to forgo flavor-enhancing ingredients unless they were very cheap. Spices and herbs (fresh or not) are expensive. There are veggies like onions that provide flavor but are nutritionally void. It would be really difficult.

I have to give Gwynnie props for coming clean that she didn't succeed and not making me want to slap her with her statement about it. And…her pretentious purchase did get so many people talking and thinking about the issue, so that was a good thing.

Gwyneth Paltrow heads to dinner at new hotspot The Polo Bar... after failing her $29 food stamp challenge just four days in

17 April 2015

She recently admitted to failing her $29 food stamp budget challenge just after four days.
    And now that dining on a tiny food budget is out, Gwyneth Paltrow treated herself out to a night out at one of the Big Apple's newest hot spots.

The 42-year-old actress was spotted arriving for an upscale dinner at The Polo Bar in New York City on Thursday night.

Back to the fab life: Gwyneth Paltrow was spotted heading to an upscale dinner at The Polo Bar in New York City after revealing she 'broke' half way through her $29 food stamp budget challenge

Cuddling close: The Iron Man actress grabbed hold of a male companions arm while heading out of the restaurant owned by fashion designer Ralph Lauren

'As I suspected, we only made it through about four days, when I personally broke and had some chicken and fresh vegetables (and in full transparency, half a bag of black licorice),' she admitted.

'My perspective has been forever altered by how difficult it was to eat wholesome, nutritious food on that budget, even for just a few days - a challenge that 47 million Americans face every day, week, and year.'

On Tuesday Gwyneth gave the first hint she was no longer doing the challenge when she was snapped at an LA restaurant with rumoured boyfriend Glee co-creator Brad Falchuk.

She had first announced she was taking up the $29 Food Bank NYC Challenge on Twitter on April 9, but the dinner date at fancy LA eatery Animal took place six days later.

Gwyneth Paltrow dines at The Polo Bar after failing $29 food challenge | Daily Mail Online

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information