Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

czb

did she try hard? probably not. but did you really expect that someone who's lived such a privileged life would know how to stretch $29 for one week of groceries? similarly, i wouldn't know which $5000 purse would be the best for casual day time wear.

i hate that i am actually defending this gumby with split ends. ugh
    sluce, lindsaywhit and sputnik like this.

Her efforts had an impact on me. Last night I went to dinner with 3 friends. As I looked at the menu I realized I was paying $13 for the warm beet salad, and $32 for the striped bass entrée. Then there was the wine.... I had a lovely time but couldn't shake the fact that my fish cost more than the weekly allotment others receive. I did cut a check to local food pantry today. They can thank Goopy for bringing this to my attention.

PS - I love that Goopy passes spell check. LOL
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb, I didn't. The point I am not relating adequately is that I doubt she is thinking of this like those of us who've been hand to mouth or who don't have the luxuries, because of your exact point. What I thought was that, when I was living paycheck to paycheck, I would've spent that money completely differently in order to amass the most food possible -- might not have been fresh, but it would have lasted.

sluce, thank you for your example, too. Beeyotch, czb, and sluce, comments like yours have had more of an impact in me of actually thinking about this than Gwyneth trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I'm behind whatever can be done to call attention to the issue of hunger in America. I have no issue with it being fish sticks. If one person saw that and does something for the cause it's worth it.

What's the difference between one rich celeb doing this and another rich celeb flying in by private jet to do photo ops with the starving in the 3rd world? Not much. In either case the celeb is so far removed from the issues personally as to be a joke, but if what they do helps makes change or draws attention of the average man to the issue and change stems from that it's a positive.
    People are assholes. Instead of directing all this anger at paltrow they should direct it at theory elected officials, many of whom don't give a fuck that people in our country go hungry every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    seriously.
    so... you should walk a mile in someone else's shoes. except don't because the angry masses will be after your ass for for doing so. that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    So... As long as millionaires like millionaires, they should stop making donations and using their image to raise awareness and/or support any kind of cause because they can't ever relate?
    look, I don't doubt her ulterior motive here (make herself look good) but I long ago stopped caring about why people engage in any kind of philanthropic effort and hey, if this leads to even 5 of goopy's rich friends writing big fat checks or lobbying their politician friends not to cut food stamp funding it so they can score an invite to goopy's next Christmas party, then who cares how out of touch she is or that her food stamp basket contents aren't as practical as that of someone who actually lives on food stamps.

I guess I'm still surprised by the levels of rage they fishsticks elicits in some people.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Whatevs. She's a trifling ass bitch and I can't stand her. But kudos to her for raising some awareness, even if the attention she is getting is all negative.

These. Of course she's a pretentious twit who should SIT DOWN and STFU most of the time...particularly when she tries to explain how much harder it is to be an actress than to have a lovely middle class job that allows you more time. (Bitch, please reference Emma Thompson for an appropriate way to address that topic.)

What's important is that she did what she set out to do, which is to raise awareness. When I saw her food choices, I rolled my eyes, and then I had an idea. I challenged my kids and their friends (all between 18 and 25), to eat for a week on $29.00. If they made it, I'd spring for a group dinner and party. If they didn't make it, they had to volunteer at the local food pantry or soup kitchen for 29 hours. Eleven participants, eight of whom proved decisively that their frontal lobes have miles to grow.
    Six out of the seven guys bought at least some amount of liquor. Morons. Two out of the eleven made it, both naturally slim girls. One of the boys gets credit for opting out after just 36 hours, but going straight to the market - he bought $100 worth of groceries for the food pantry. I think all of them learned something valuable, so in my mind, if fish sticks did nothing else, she made a difference.

Elite Member

I'm naturally biased against Gwyneth, so I can't help but feel, that she did this as a fad or a diet.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    I challenged my kids and their friends (all between 18 and 25), to eat for a week on $29.00. If they made it, I'd spring for a group dinner and party. If they didn't make it, they had to volunteer at the local food pantry or soup kitchen for 29 hours. Eleven participants, eight of whom proved decisively that their frontal lobes have miles to grow.
    Six out of the seven guys bought at least some amount of liquor. Morons. Two out of the eleven made it, both naturally slim girls. One of the boys gets credit for opting out after just 36 hours, but going straight to the market - he bought $100 worth of groceries for the food pantry. I think all of them learned something valuable, so in my mind, if fish sticks did nothing else, she made a difference.
    I love everything about this.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

My mother could have done this without a problem even though she has enough money to blow 5Gs on a new purse and go out to dinner in a nice restaurant every night. If she wanted these things. In fact, she could probably hold a seminar on how to accomplish this. She's going to take it with her when she kicks the bucket.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I don't see how anyone can do it, unless you're eating a meal of beans and rice every night. I'm not a gourmet cook and most of the meals I make are pretty simple. I made a simple, easy dish of chicken fajitas. The chicken, bell peppers, onion, limes, and tortilla cost about $14 dollars. That doesn't include what I already had at home: garlic, salt, pepper, seasoning, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.

Even when I make something that be divided up and thrown in the freezer for future meals, it costs plenty up front. A pot of homemade tomato/meat sauce costs about $30. Yes, it can be divided up and comes out to about ten meals, but the cost up front isn't cheap. The cost of establishing a pantry with the basics isn't cheap either. Salt, pepper, oils, spices, dried/canned beans, canned/jarred tomato paste, pickles, olives, rice, noodles.

I don't know, I think it's great people are paying attention. I don't care for Goopy, I find her annoying. Even if she did this as a publicity stunt, I hope people are listening. She's not the first person I've seen do it.

It is expensive up front but keep in mind they aren't getting $29. I think they get a month's worth of funds for however many people in the house. The $29 per person is on the low end too. I think I posted a chart somewhere in here.

I am not saying it isn't hard or anything like that but to Kris' point, one could shop a little better if you had more funds up front and they do.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Elite Member

Here's how Southerners eat on the cheap:

Banana sandwiches (sliced banana/mayo/bread)
    Tomato sandwiches (sliced tomato/mayo/bread) or BLT
    Chicken or tuna salad (sandwich optional)
    Pinto beans
    Vegetable soup
    Cheese toast (melted cheese on bread)
    Chili
    Chicken & dumplings (dough and boiled chicken in thick broth)
    Tomato soup (Campbell's) and grilled cheese sandwiches
    Last edited by travelbug; April 17th, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
    soogar likes this.

One person on $29? Or do they have to split it multiple ways?

Can we call this thread "Gwyneth Paltrow not doing the food stamp challenge?"
    sprynkles likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    One person on $29? Or do they have to split it multiple ways?
    $4.15 per person a day, so the $29 is weekly for one.

http://site.foodshare.org/site/PageS...challenge#SNAP

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

$4.15 per person a day, so the $29 is weekly for one.
    Thanks. I do all the grocery shopping and I actually pay in cash. So, I typically withdraw about $180 a week, and use that to pay for food for 6 people, including in-laws. Needless to say, I can and do spend more when we feel like varying our routine.

Good man. your budget is right in line with the $29 per person a week.

I don't know if its good or bad, but that's not much more what we spend on dinner alone daily, if we cook at home. Meat or fish, fresh veg, bread. It adds up quick. I mean of course some nights it's a little less.

Just the other night I made meatballs and the meat alone was about $12 for 2lbs of beef. Add the cost of all the things that go in, plus a salad and a loaf of bakery bread and that meal was $20. Food adds up quickly.

And I generally don't even food shop in Manhattan, where food is pricier. Either nj or Brooklyn, depending on which way I feel like driving.
    sluce and KrisNine like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

czb

yeah, food adds up quickly. it's not like we eat meat very often, but even a whole chicken to roast is >12. a loaf of artisan bread is 4-5.50. i make new meals from leftovers, so if i roast a chicken one night, i use the carcass and make chicken soup for another night. but we definitely spend more than 29/person/week.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information